Series 2 vs. Series 1

For your money, would you choose Series 1 or Series 2?

• Series 1

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Series 2

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If you had the choice, which one would you go with? Make your selection in the poll, and add your reasoning below!

Series 1: updated processor, but mostly same specs. Cheaper price.
Series 2: all new specs, GPS, water resistance. More expensive.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I went with the Series 1. The enhancements added in the Series 2, for me personally, didn't justify the additional cost. I'm loving my Series 1 and don't regret it at all! If I was more active or was a swimmer, or had a need for GPS away from my phone, then the Series 2 would be a no brainer.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you had the choice, which one would you go with? Make your selection in the poll, and add your reasoning below!

Series 1: updated processor, but mostly same specs. Cheaper price.
Series 2: all new specs, GPS, water resistance. More expensive.

If I were buying for the very first time, I'd go with the new Series 2 Watch, however, after having had and used the original Watch every day for a year and a half, I'd easily go out and buy another one should something happen to this one.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
To put it simply, I'm about trying the latest gadgets AND always thinking about resale value...

If I wasn't in a position to spend a certain amount, I'd simply get a Series 1. But me being me, nope, I ordered the Series 2, Stainless Steel Space Black...

Ps: I really want to 'try' a Ceramic Apple Watch Series 2. Who wants to help me fund one?

Bill2Bo

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
Series 1. The sales dude at the apple store said series one has the same water proofing as iPhone 7. Unless you're going to swim laps or go diving, the waterproofing on the 1 should be enough.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I got a series 2. Full waterproofing was very important to me and this brighter screen is so much nicer in the daylight. GPS didn't matter to me too much.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
It's AWS1 for me, from now on. Until Series 3, anyway. :D

I've got some Apple Watches, and wanted aa S2 for the brighter screen, and having one, decided GPS wouldn't be a bad thing, though I've yet to use it.

But the screen brightness didn't live up to my expectations, and I see little difference in the daylight, and don't need a brighter screen at night.

So unless I decide to get a SBSS, I'll stick with ASW1. It's a solid buy. Even the original Apple Watch at around $200 is pretty serviceable, once it's updated to wOS3.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
But the screen brightness didn't live up to my expectations, and I see little difference in the daylight, and don't need a brighter screen at night.

So unless I decide to get a SBSS, I'll stick with ASW1. It's a solid buy. Even the original Apple Watch at around $200 is pretty serviceable, once it's updated to wOS3.

I'm honestly kind of reassured to hear that. I almost went for the S2 simply because of the extra brightness but chose not to. Didn't know how much of a difference it really makes and I don't have trouble seeing my S1 screen in the sunlight.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm honestly kind of reassured to hear that. I almost went for the S2 simply because of the extra brightness but chose not to. Didn't know how much of a difference it really makes and I don't have trouble seeing my S1 screen in the sunlight.

Then you made absolutely the right decision. The only way I'd see a difference is with a side by side comparison. If I have to do that to appreciate a change, then to me, the change just doesn't warrant the money. The first thing I did was go outside to test MAX brightness, and I thought for a second maybe I put on an original Apple Watch by mistake. No, it was my S2 and I was disappointed.

If the GPS or waterproofing were the main reason for an S2, then the extra brightness might be a perk for some people.

If anybody can blindly put on an Apple Watch and when outdoors, tell whether or not it's an S2 (JUST by the display), my hat's off to them. I can't. I don't regret buying at least one S2, but one is enough for me, given my issue with the brightness.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Water resistant is my main reason. There has been times where I Alamo showered or jumped into a pool with my Huawei watch and I had to stop myself.m before I damage it.

jaleesag88

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
What about Series Zero (first-gen) Apple Watch? Best Buy has the 42mm Space Gray aluminum for $219.

I think spending the little extra for the series 1 is worth it. Just my personal opinion. I almost bought a series 0 for $200 but I figured if I could spend an extra $70 for a newer model it would be worth it. In the end I talked myself into the Nike+ model. I like the band and with the surgery office I work in, I like the idea of waterproofing.

TheGrudge

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I went for the series two for a few reasons. I realize that this probably makes little sense to some people but for me, once you're up over $400 (CAD), what's another $129 to get the latest and greatest? I know it depends on the perceived value for that additional $129, but for me it's worth it for just the brighter screen and the waterproofing.

The brighter screen isn't likely to be a huge factor on a daily basis I admit, but when you're outside on those crazy sunny days it would be nice to have a little more "pop". As for the waterproofing, I'm not a big swimmer, nor do I do laps. That said, I hang around pools and cottages in the summertime and it's not difficult to imagine a scenario where I forget to take it off before swimming....or I'm pushed into the water by someone. I consider the extra money to be an insurance policy to protect me from accidents involving water and yeah, I'll probably wear it swimming if the option is available.

I'll also use the built-in GPS as I do try to run on a fairly regular basis. I'm not ready to drop more money on blutooth headphones quite yet, but having the ability to go for a run sans phone is another mark in the "plus column".

mellonxcollie

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Series 2, no question. For one, I already own the original Apple Watch, so the Series 1 wouldn't be a major update for me. Secondly though, my only issue with the old Apple Watch is the fitness features. I don't think the heart rate monitor is accurate enough, I don't like the lack of GPS, or the inability to use without your phone in your pocket. Series 2 solves those issues.

dasupaman23

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
If money wasn't an issue I'd go for Series 2 Stainless Steel. But my wallet let me get a Series 0 Stainless steel for a steal. Would like GPS and Swim proof-ing but it's not a deal breaker. I like my AW for notifications, time and the ease and ability to switch bands.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If I was in the market for a new Apple Watch, I would go with the series2 Black Stainless Steel or regular Stainless Steel. I just like the look of the SS better than the aluminum.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods