How often does the step counter get updated on the apple watch?

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I got a series 2 watch last Friday.

A couple of times, I opened the activity app on the watch and looked at the step count. I then pushed the crown button to go to the home screen. I put my arm down and then walked and counted the steps.

I brought up my arm, opened the activity app and saw my steps did not count up at all.

I did this today counting an additional 50 steps, but this did not get reflected in the app.

I have done the calibration. I did a reset of the calibration and did a 27 minute walk outside in clear cover but somewhat cloudy skies. I opened the exercise app and selected outdoor walk when I did this.

Does the step count update every 5 minutes or something?

thanks.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I know it's certainly not instant, but then I don't really worry about steps. Active calories is where it's at, and they seem to update a few seconds after raising my watch to look.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
As an experiment, I checked my steps, walked 100 steps, and then checked again. It took approximately 30 seconds for the steps to update. I then did the experiment again and got the same results. This is with AW Series O with iphone in pocket.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I think you are right in that it updates after a period of time and not instantly. I feel like it updates after it senses you aren't moving.

I know steps aren't a big deal, but since I have no real way to track calories burned, it at least something I can say seems to be accurate.

Thanks again to both of you.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome.

The activity app does measure active calories, ok, it's not going to be the most accurate reading but it'll do for most of us, if even as a form of motivation to get out and do more.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
You're welcome linear2202.

The activity app does measure active calories, ok, it's not going to be the most accurate reading but it'll do for most of us, if even as a form of motivation to get out and do more.

A recent study by the Cleveland Clinic published in JAMA Cardiology reports that Apple Watch was 90% accurate at measuring heart rate (read about it here). If the watch can measure heart rate that accurately, it has to be similarly accurate at measuring calories.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234