Tough/durable/protective case for Series 2

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I did some searching, and I wasn't able to find an answer to my question. My apologies if this has been asked and answered and I just didn't find the thread ;)

I'm hoping someone is or has been in a similar situation as me. I'm an avid mountain biker. Despite that, I wreck a decent amount of the time. I want to find a good case that will protect my Apple Watch when I fall. Appearance isn't super important, as I'll be removing the case after each ride. I don't mind if it takes a few minutes to put it on and take it off, as long as the watch is protected. Has anyone found one that works well? One important note: this is for a SS Watch, and I'd like to avoid a case that scratches the Watch (I know, postponing the inevitable).

Thanks in advance.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
this is for a SS Watch, and I'd like to avoid a case that scratches the Watch

I don't think that's possible or that there is such a case. I've got an AWSS and it was pristine for about a year, one week with a Spigen silicone-y case and the entire SS case (except for the back) was covered in hairline scratches. Made me mad, but I knew or should have known better.

They're fine hairline scratches and a light buffing with a treated polishing cloth didn't remove them. It did make the Watch VERY shiny though, and that hid the scratches a little. Maybe the cloth just needs some elbow grease added. Certainly jeweler's rough (with or without a jeweler) could make it right.

I would consider trying a clear film such as this. It doesn't cover the Watch completely and some reviews talk about the pieces lifting up. Cover it with a stretchy case like the Spigen (I don't know that a rigid case would fit over the film) and you should minimize scratching and dings.

Me, I'd get a used Sport or Aluminum S2 (if you need the GPS) for off-road and save you beautiful SS for streetwear. Yeah?$$$.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Much appreciated information, thank you!

So a sport aluminum model wouldn't be susceptible to the scratches from a case that a SS model would? What if the case was rubberized? I've seen some like that in my research.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So a sport aluminum model wouldn't be susceptible to the scratches from a case that a SS model would?

I believe the texturize finish of the Aluminum Watch is more resistant to light scratches and when lightly scratched, won't readily reveal the scratches as will the highly polished, smooth surface of the SS.

What if the case was rubberized?

The Spigen case that marred my SSAW was silicone apparently. I think there are very few if any cases that will seal against dust, dirt, or grit. Trapping the offending particulate between the Watch and the case is the problem. YMMV but I'm done with cases.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2