Sleeping with Apple Watch 2

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing the variance in nighttime battery life (or depletion for that matter) depends mostly on how much someone toss and turns or lays still.

...Because most people leave Wake Screen on Wrist Raise ON when they retire for the evening.

I went to bed with mine last night, using Sleep++ to measure my sleep. It was at 92% at 11pm when I enabled Airplane mode, woke up at 7am with 73% battery. Would you guys consider this normal? I thought it would loose less battery over a night.

Have you done a test without engaging AirPlane mode, for a comparison? Are any of your Watch's apps allowed to refresh while in background? Is it possible your Watch brushes against your skin while sleeping? Do you sleep with your hands against your face, like people in TV commercials?

evornoss

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
...Because most people leave Wake Screen on Wrist Raise ON when they retire for the evening.

Have you done a test without engaging AirPlane mode, for a comparison? Are any of your Watch's apps allowed to refresh while in background? Is it possible your Watch brushes against your skin while sleeping? Do you sleep with your hands against your face, like people in TV commercials?

I just did a test without turning Airplane Mode ON. So, I went to sleep yesterday around 12:00am, woke up at 7:00am. Using Pillow app this time on the Watch to measure my movements/sleep cycles. App refresh is always ON on my Watch, and I leaved Wake Screen on Wrist Rise ON on purpose. I went to sleep at 100% on the AWS2, woke up at 83%. So, in my case, Airplane mode ON or OFF makes practically no difference at all.

I am still not sure about buying Sleep Watch ($4.99) to test it with that app. Waiting for SamNatale to share what his settings are for comparision. I think I am still consuming way more power than I should over a night. I will try same thing tonight but with Wake Screen on Wrist Raise OFF to see how much that helps.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So, in my case, Airplane mode ON or OFF makes practically no difference at all.

I suspected this would be the case. It might be significantly different if you were on a graveyard shift and slept during the day. I say this as I get virtually no email, texts, notifications, or alerts during the night. I do get a couple of email alerts in the early hours–0500-0600 or so. Obviously this can vary greatly among different users.

I further suspect that Wake Screen on Wrist Raise will make a noticeable difference where AirPlane mode did not. Using the Do Not Disturb function on the Watch stops calls and alerts. For most of us, I don't think using it will help much if at all, similarly to using AirPlane mode. But a DND function that applied to WSWR might make a big difference. If you needed to see the display, you'd tap. I'd like a timed toggle in Settings and a manual toggle in the Control Center.

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site

I use the Sleep++ app and switch to a watch face with no complications on it so that it's not constantly refreshing. I also have background refresh turned off. My battery goes down about 7-8% and I have a first gen Apple Watch.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
and switch to a watch face with no complications on it so that it's not constantly refreshing.

Great idea! Switching watch faces can be even easier than my DND suggestion. I have a 'Movie' watch face (same as Rene suggested in another thread)— the Modular face with all complications OFF, and the time in red.

Ok, another suggestion– a customizable Night Mode, where you program the hours of operation, notifications, WSWR, and brightness. And as with the iPhone, manual control as well.

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Great idea! Switching watch faces can be even easier than my DND suggestion. I have a 'Movie' watch face (same as Rene suggested in another thread)? the Modular face with all complications OFF, and the time in red.

Ok, another suggestion? a customizable Night Mode, where you program the hours of operation, notifications, WSWR, and brightness. And as with the iPhone, manual control as well.

Yep that sounds like a good idea also. I'm going to create my night time one right now. :)

SamNatale

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Is "Wake Screen on Wrist Raise ON" during sleep?

That is amazing, only losing 2% per 7hrs. Maybe its because of the App, I've been wanting to get Sleep Watch. Would you recommend it based on your experience? Reviews are not that great.

Please share what your settings are.. I would like to try your settings to see if I can get a similar result. (Brightness settings?, Reduce Motion On/Off?, Haptic Settings?, Background App Refresh On/Off?, etc). Thanks

Settings - Wake Screen on Wrist Raise, Brightness = 100% (I'm not sure I set that or it was default), Haptic Strength = 100% (I use it as my wake up alarm), Prominent Haptic = On, Background App Refresh = all On, Reduce Motion = Off. TBH, I'm a newbie to the watch so I probably went with mostly defaults.

I like the Sleep Watch app but it's not perfect. Saturday night I did a lot of tossing and turning in my sleep (my team lost). The app thought I was awake most of the night and my battery use was significantly greater. I think I went from 100% to 87%. It's the only time it's been way off and used that much battery.

I'm going to suggest to the Sleep Watch developer that they track the battery use, if that's possible.

evornoss

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you Mac Guy, Airplane mode ON or OFF should not make much difference since I, as you, don't get basically any notifications over night.

Settings - Wake Screen on Wrist Raise, Brightness = 100% (I'm not sure I set that or it was default), Haptic Strength = 100% (I use it as my wake up alarm), Prominent Haptic = On, Background App Refresh = all On, Reduce Motion = Off. TBH, I'm a newbie to the watch so I probably went with mostly defaults.

I like the Sleep Watch app but it's not perfect. Saturday night I did a lot of tossing and turning in my sleep (my team lost). The app thought I was awake most of the night and my battery use was significantly greater. I think I went from 100% to 87%. It's the only time it's been way off and used that much battery.

I'm going to suggest to the Sleep Watch developer that they track the battery use, if that's possible.

Thanks, seems to be related to app then (and hopefully not a faulty battery on my AWS2), since the one time it malfunctioned you got similar battery consumption as I did with Sleep++. Maybe Sleep++ consumes way more battery than Sleep Watch does?

However, I will try tonight again with Sleep++, Wake Screen on Raise OFF, Watch face without any complications and Background App Refresh OFF, as Dwood1970 does it, to see if I can get 7-8% only battery loss during the night. Will update tomorrow with the results.

evornoss

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
However, I will try tonight again with Sleep++, Wake Screen on Raise OFF, Watch face without any complications and Background App Refresh OFF, as Dwood1970 does it, to see if I can get 7-8% only battery loss during the night. Will update tomorrow with the results.

Tested as stated above, went to bed at 12:00am with a 100% battery, woke up at 7:30am with the battery at 93%. So, all good! :biggrin:

I think what made the biggest difference was App Refresh OFF + Wake Screen on Raise OFF. I don't think the Watch Face without complications made that big of a difference. Probably will test tonight with a regular Watch Face, Wake Screen on Raise OFF and Background App Refresh OFF for comparison.

Cormack

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
That's good to know. Unfortunately just discovered it won't work with my iPhone 5, so I'll need to wait until I upgrade my phone before I can try it out. :crying:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Tested as stated above, went to bed at 12:00am with a 100% battery, woke up at 7:30am with the battery at 93%. So, all good!

Great! If you use a busy watch face, the complications probably won't make much difference. But if you used four, with say a very simple, sparse face I think the drain would be more pronounced.

You will need App Refresh ON, though to use a sleep app, right? And certainly different apps might have different battery usage.

That's good to know. Unfortunately just discovered it won't work with my iPhone 5

Oh, no! :( I was ecstatic when I learned that the Watch would work with my 5s. After the first iPhone, it's been my practice to by the s series instead of the first of the new number line.

At least you have a solid reason to upgrade! YAY!