Stainless Steel scratches...polishing?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone been successful at having a jewelry store buff/polish out scratches in the sides of the watch case?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone been successful at having a jewelry store buff/polish out scratches in the sides of the watch case?

All depends on how deep they are. If they are surface scratches, any competent jeweler can buff them out. If it is a gouge, it can be done as well but you will end up losing some of the thickness of the stainless steel. Unfortunately it is not a metal such as silver or gold where they can solder fill a deep scratch and bring it back like new. I have a stainless steel watch myself and went to my jeweler, bought a really good polishing cloth that I use. I have found as long as I keep on it my watch stays like new.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have a 42mm Sport already, but I've got a chance to snag a silver SS model for cheap locally that will look better for business or dressier attire. The problem is...it's got a few surface scratches. That would've been a sure dealbreaker if they couldn't be buffed out easily.