Apple watch weird issue when locked..

amzi160586

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys

Been having an issue for past six weeks with my Apple Watch. It seems that whenever the watch is locked I receive no notifications and nothing seems to be registering on the watch. No activity tracker (calories, steps, etc) seem to display and most importantly nothing updates on the phone. Yesterday I even noted that at the gym when I try to record a particular activity (i.e. indoor run), the minute the watch locks the activity pauses. Unless I'm having a brain fog, this never used to be the case.

I've literally tried everything from resetting phone, watch and even having iPhone replaced, setting both devices up as new.

Also the data on the watch does not update on the iPhone when locked.

If I removed the passcode then things start working.

Can anyone confirm if this is normal behaviour?

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
When you wear the watch, does it auto lock? If a watch is locked, usually notifications will no go through unless worn and unlocked again.

I'm not sure if your issue is similar to mine previously as in it auto locks by itself and even unpairing and re-pairing the watch doesn't work, then in the end found the rear sensor panel is faulty and loose.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Unless I'm having a brain fog, this never used to be the case.

Fortunately, it's just a brain fog and not a brain cloud. The latter is usually fatal, and the only thing to do is head for a volcano.

Your Watch has to be on your wrist and unlocked to get Notifications. This keeps a thief or unauthorized personnel from seeing them. If you remove the passcode then the Watch is unlocked. If your phone is unlocked it doesn't send notifications to your Watch. You also want to make super your Watch and phone aren't set to Do Not Disturb.

When all is working properly, and you've properly configured your apps and Mirror or Custom settings in the Watch App, data for apps should update when your phone is locked. You should get notifications, email, etc., but your Watch has to be unlocked. When locked my Watch will only display the time and the padlock. If I try to do anything else with it, the keypad appears.

I'm curious as to why you would keep your Watch while wearing it. Even if it showed everything when locked, why lock it if you're wearing it? If it locks on it's own, then you're wearing it too loosely. Or it's defective.

amzi160586

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Hey thanks for the explanation.

Makes sense now - unlocked all seems to be working.

I thought perhaps on the wrist itself when locked the apps would continue to work in the background.

Interesting...hmmm...

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
When you wear the watch, does it auto lock? If a watch is locked, usually notifications will no go through unless worn and unlocked again.

I'm not sure if your issue is similar to mine previously as in it auto locks by itself and even unpairing and re-pairing the watch doesn't work, then in the end found the rear sensor panel is faulty and loose.

On very infrequent occasions, I have problems with my watch auto-locking. Tightening the band one notch usually stops the problem so I'm hoping it's not a problem with the rear sensor panel.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
On very infrequent occasions, I have problems with my watch auto-locking. Tightening the band one notch usually stops the problem so I'm hoping it's not a problem with the rear sensor panel.

It's a common problem with the original Apple Watch, fortunately Apple replaced a new Watch module for me even though it's over a month off the warranty period.

amzi160586

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
As an update - the watch has gone back to auto locking even when on my wrist - I'm guessing that this is just a faulty unit now - sent away for repair and came back exactly the same - yesterday i managed to take it into store and they were able to confirm its an issue with the watch - again has to go back for repair - such a frustrating journey this Apple Watch has been

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro