Connection Watch Original to iPhone 7

pbGuy

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Once Watch Original has been updated to watchOS 3 (post iPhone 6 update to iOS 10), what are the steps in transferring data (apps & Apple Pay) to a new iPhone 7 (after this new iPhone has been activated - old iPhone deactivated)?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
First... Unpair the watch from the old phone... Next, back up the old phone to iCloud or iTunes... Next... Set up the new phone... Restore the backup from the old phone... Then pair the watch to the new phone... Then you should be right where you left off with everything right where it was before you started.

pbGuy

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Simple enough, but it seems more logical to complete a Backup (of old iPhone) before unpairing the watch as this would save the pairing details in the Backup. ...Any sense to that in contrast to your instruction to complete the unpair first and then, do the iPhone Backup?

Last edited:

anon(9343851)

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
When you unpair your WATCH, a backup of it gets stored onto your iPhone. When you backup your iPhone via iTunes, the backup of your WATCH is backed up to iTunes along with your iPhone data.

Hence the order kch50428 recommended.

pbGuy

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your confirmation as well as detail about how Watch saves it backups.

...I'm getting my iPhone 7 (Black) on Friday, 9/16. I'm keen for its arrival; it's replacing an iPhone 6. :cool:

Last edited:

pbGuy

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
9/16 - My iPhone 7 Black arrived today. ...Took the usual time to set-up; but once done, restored my Watch.

The steps for B/U of the Watch (as provided by kch50428 & Valana) b4 shuttering my iPhone 6, were helpful in keeping me focused as I was excited to get my new iPhone activated and my Watch restored properly.

Thank you kch50428 & Valana

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro