Cost of the Apple Watch Series 2 in Ceramic

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Watching the keynote earlier today, I was pleased to see a new case material for the Apple Watch... Ceramic. Super durable, looks sharp, and well, it was just different.

I thought it might be a bit more expensive than the aluminum and stainless stell options, but I had no idea. Turns out the 38mm will run you $1,649 USD, and the 42mm will cost a cool $1,719. Much more than I expected, but hey, what do I know about manufacturing ceramic.

Are you surprised by the cost of the ceramic option as well?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Holy cow! That's much high than I expected. Looks like I won't be getting one of those.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Well it is the Apple Watch Edition so I believe it's the cheaper of the models which were available in 24kt gold.... which btw I'm no longer seeing on Apple's site.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well it is the Apple Watch Edition so I believe it's the cheaper of the models which were available in 24kt gold.... which btw I'm no longer seeing on Apple's site.

Shocker! There's a very small market for $10,000+ smart watches. :)

doc16mom

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I love the ceramic, so cool....the price tag is hard to swallow especially that the technology is constantly changing...hard decision...I think the next model will be drastically different....to buy watch 2 or not to buy?

Ariel484

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at the Apple Store right now and the 38mm Ceramic price is $1249.00. (US)

What gives?

Seeing the same thing - $1249 for 38mm, $1299 for 42mm. Initial prices on the website posted above were a typo maybe? Still out of my budget!...so pretty though.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

It's actually 18kt gold. 24kt would be too soft for a watch case. I'm wondering if Apple has just pulled it for awhile or if it's been dropped. My feeling is there's nothing special about the Watch except the material and that most people who could afford it feel the same way. Apple probably gave away more than they sold. It might surface again, or be sold only in a few stores and not online. It's way above my pay grade regardless.

The next hot selling accessory will be a white case for the Watch. They may be available now, but everybody will be advertising them soon. LOL!

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
It's actually 18kt gold. 24kt would be too soft for a watch case. I'm wondering if Apple has just pulled it for awhile or if it's been dropped. My feeling is there's nothing special about the Watch except the material and that most people who could afford it feel the same way. Apple probably gave away more than they sold. It might surface again, or be sold only in a few stores and not online. It's way above my pay grade regardless.

The next hot selling accessory will be a white case for the Watch. They may be available now, but everybody will be advertising them soon. LOL!

Ooops... yes 18kt... and they've been discontinued.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
and they've been discontinued.

That's kind of a shame, but not surprising. Even a solid gold case isn't enough cach?t for what's basically an electronic device.

The 42mm Ceramic, at $1300 is a little more realistic, but with a Sport band? Even though it's a matching Sport band, it gives me the perception of a cheaper watch, to me. Now if Apple had introduced it with a ceramic bracelet... Or even a white Milanese...

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Clearly Apple wasn't thinking of the likes of me, when they priced this watch...!
And here I was just yesterday moaning about the cost of the Apple Series II, Stainless Steel model. Ugh, I simply need to get over it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73