Apple Watch Series 2

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Mainly the GPS portion I believe. Maybe that also helps with allowing the screen to be brighter (not sure on this merely guessing; the GPU might be what allows this)...

Series 1 is now using a dual-core S1P while the series 2 is using a dual-core S2. Any difference between them?

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Mainly the GPS portion I believe. Maybe that also helps with allowing the screen to be brighter (not sure on this merely guessing; the GPU might be what allows this)...

So I can say the dual-core GPU in the series 2 is still more powerful than the dual-core GPU in the series 1?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what kind of magic Apple put into the s2 combined with watchOS 3.1b1, but my battery is AWESOME!!!

I charged the watch before bed to 100%. Went to bed at 10pm, put it in DnD and started Sleep Pulse 2. Woke up at 4:10am, stopped Sleep Pulse and turned off DnD. Went to the gym and tracked my workout for an hour. Came home and showered with the watch on so I could play with the water ejecting speaker, then headed off to work. It is now 4:00pm and my battery is at 78%. I have been texting and checking notifications all day long. Normally I would be right around 50% by now.

Very impressed and this is just the first beta :)

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I am searching hard for a reason to upgrade, but my original Apple Watch is perfect and I am not much of a swimmer

evornoss

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Yep and I have the brightness on high and prominent taptics enabled. No sound though, that is off.

Woah, very nice. I installed watchOS 3.1 yesterday. I've been noticing better battery, removed my AWS2 from the charger this morning at 8:00am, 100%. Its 12:05PM now, so far like 10-15 text alerts, like 5 email alerts and been controlling my iPhone music with it since 9:00AM and its at 97% currently. Lets see how the day ends up battery wise.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone gone from an OG Watch to a Series 2 Watch? Was it worth the upgrade? I'm trying to decide whether or not the snappier SoC and brighter screen are worth the cost of entry. I don't use any of the fitness features, just as a driving assistant and for notifications.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone gone from an OG Watch to a Series 2 Watch? Was it worth the upgrade? I'm trying to decide whether or not the snappier SoC and brighter screen are worth the cost of entry. I don't use any of the fitness features, just as a driving assistant and for notifications.

I wanted initially to go for the Series 2 from my current original first gen, but the GPS does not perform what I intended to, only for fitness usage, and I don't swim with watches. The Series 2 isn't a lot faster and neither the screen is a lot brighter as well.

So I stayed with my original Apple Watch, not worth paying so much more for another one unless the upgrades are more significant.

anon(631408)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I am also moving from the first gen watch to the series 2 mainly because of the waterproof aspect of it. The GPS will be a bonus and I am hoping the battery life is better. I ended up getting a few gift cards for Christmas so my out of pocket is basically a wash. I am hoping I am not disappointed with my move.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

I made that jump as well. I had (and have) three AWs and wanted an AWS2, mainly for the brighter screen. What I found was the screen wasn't noticeable brighter to me. I've yet to use the GPS, but thought/think it would/will be handy one day should I forget my phone. I don't run and don't know if or when I'll swim again. There are some areas where the S2 performs faster, but they're few and far between. watchOS 3 works well on all generations. The move satisfied my curiosity. But unless someone needs GPS, is an avid swimmer and/or runner, or just wants the Nike+ (as I do), I couldn't recommend going to an S2, unless money just wasn't a metric at all.

The S1 and S2 will have the edge down the road as wOS become more demanding, but I see no reason to upgrade the rest of my AWs. Maybe when S3 or or S4 rolls out...

If I knew then what I know now, the smart money would be on the AWS1. Same SoC (except for the GPS bit) but 450nits for the screen instead of 1000. Light behaving the way it does, I don't think real world use is anywhere near as dramatic as the stats. It'll work as a driving assistant as long as you have your phone with you, but not on its own. But if you got a good deal on an AW, you might be very happy with it.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I made that jump as well. I had (and have) three AWs and wanted an AWS2, mainly for the brighter screen. What I found was the screen wasn't noticeable brighter to me. I've yet to use the GPS, but thought/think it would/will be handy one day should I forget my phone. I don't run and don't know if or when I'll swim again. There are some areas where the S2 performs faster, but they're few and far between. watchOS 3 works well on all generations. The move satisfied my curiosity. But unless someone needs GPS, is an avid swimmer and/or runner, or just wants the Nike+ (as I do), I couldn't recommend going to an S2, unless money just wasn't a metric at all.

The S1 and S2 will have the edge down the road as wOS become more demanding, but I see no reason to upgrade the rest of my AWs. Maybe when S3 or or S4 rolls out...

If I knew then what I know now, the smart money would be on the AWS1. Same SoC (except for the GPS bit) but 450nits for the screen instead of 1000. Light behaving the way it does, I don't think real world use is anywhere near as dramatic as the stats. It'll work as a driving assistant as long as you have your phone with you, but not on its own. But if you got a good deal on an AW, you might be very happy with it.

What he said :rotfl:

I made the jump from the original to a series 2 and haven't regretted it. But, I run and swim so it made sense from a fitness perspective.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2