Have there been any leaks at all regarding Watch 2?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I have not seen any. This makes me think Apple may actually leave the Watch as-is, at least until spring 2017. Anybody seen anything different?

I actually think that it would be a good idea not to release Watch 2. It would demonstrate to Watch buyers and those sitting on the fence that Apple is not treating its wearables as disposable junk, and that they instead want you to buy the Watch and use it for years - much like a traditional watch. Thoughts?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't expect to see an Apple Watch 2 in 2016. Spring 2017, or even Fall 2017, sounds more realistic based off of the lack of rumors floating around right now.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't expect to see an Apple Watch 2 in 2016. Spring 2017, or even Fall 2017, sounds more realistic based off of the lack of rumors floating around right now.
Frankly there isn't a need either. WatchOS 3 already makes the Watch a brand new device. It is such a substantial change from the original OS both in form and function that it truly changes how usable the wearable is actually. This leaves hardware and what could they possibly change on the hardware side? Add a SIM slot? Perhaps a sensor here and there? It's all marginal and in some cases downright silly (SIM) as it would require a substantially larger device.

I honestly think we're not going to see a new Watch for a while still.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Frankly there isn't a need either. WatchOS 3 already makes the Watch a brand new device. It is such a substantial change from the original OS both in form and function that it truly changes how usable the wearable is actually. This leaves hardware and what could they possibly change on the hardware side? Add a SIM slot? Perhaps a sensor here and there? It's all marginal and in some cases downright silly (SIM) as it would require a substantially larger device.

I honestly think we're not going to see a new Watch for a while still.

Agreed. If Apple is going to release another Watch they need produce more than an incremental update. There needs to be enough utility there to motivate existing users to upgrade and non-users to adopt. With what I'm seeing, and with currently available technology, I'm not sure there's anything in the pipeline that will do that.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I agree with everybody so far. At the moment the Watch is semi-autonomous. Given the price, a lot of people won't be buying a Watch every year. Apple probably couldn't offer more than an incremental upgrade on a yearly basis anyway.

There are a far fewer rabbits to pull out of Apple's hat for the Watch than for any of their other devices or products. Changing the shape, adding GPS, and changing the display are the three big rabbits, to my way of thinking. Most other tweaks would be just bunnies.

Apple will probably be money ahead in the mean time to keep selling us new bands and updating wOS to reflect and improve how we're using the Watch.

doc16mom

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I've been reading in tech news,that it is rumored to be announced when the iPhone 7 is released. Tech insiders are predicting very few changes and have been saying that some models of the first apple watch are no longer available through apple. It seems to me that they are clearing out stock to make room for the new Apple Watch. I have a feeling that the soft wear upgrade will be great but the hard wear will probably be disappointing. They are predicting huge changes in 2017.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading in tech news,that it is rumored to be announced when the iPhone 7 is released. Tech insiders are predicting very few changes and have been saying that some models of the first apple watch are no longer available through apple. It seems to me that they are clearing out stock to make room for the new Apple Watch. I have a feeling that the soft wear upgrade will be great but the hard wear will probably be disappointing. They are predicting huge changes in 2017.

WatchOS 3 has been in developer beta for some time now and has some really nice improvements. The biggest disappointment from a hardware perspective, according to rumors, is the lack of LTE (i.e. It still relies on an iPhone) and inability to be paired to non-iOS devices. Neither are a big deal to me. Nonetheless, I'll be sticking with my current Apple Watch this time around.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
there has been a lot of chatter with regard to new casings though, right? Materials like titanium for the watch I believe? I would love that and definitely upgrade to a more premium housing this year, after having "trialled" my Apple Watch Sport for a year or so.

That being said you're right - no leaks whatsoever, which makes me wonder if that's actually gonna materialise or not.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Either nobody cares about this product, or it is industry's best kept secret because even though we are supposedly only 14 days away frim a reveal, not one concrete shred of evidence of the existence of this new watch has been leaked anywhere. I think it is waporware.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I think it is waporware.

It ain't vaporware until it's been announced and doesn't show up on schedule. THEN it's vaporware.

Apple hasn't announced an AW2 or said word one. Sure there'll be one, eventually. I doubt that there will ever be a yearly hardware update for it, as there are for the phone and computers. Even the iPhone is mature enough it's not easy to bring a WOW version to market. Everybody seems to want to be the first to say "Meh, evolutionary not revolutionary" as though Apple owes them a spectacular new bit of tech kit on a regular basis.

LTE on the Watch doesn't impress me. I don't need two data or phone plans. It's inevitable but I think it's early days unless there's a big battery breakthrough or Apple drops OLED displays (which I doubt). Really active people barely make it through the day, at least with the 38mm Watch. A lot of us light users have no problem.

So GPS, LTE, a camera, blah blah... They can wait as far as I'm concerned. I get that runners and others have valid uses for at least GPS and LTE but until battery life can handle those, I'm in no hurry.

If the rumored 334 mAh battery is real, I'd hope any included hardware upgrades don't cost any of the current run time. In the past Apple has offered suggestions on how to get more battery time out of iPhones by shutting off various features. But then you have to remember to turn stuff back on when you need it. A very inelegant solution. The same advice was offered early on for the Watch, but then- why have it? Some people can turn off a lot of features and never miss them. For others those very features are why they wanted it.

Apple is probably ten steps ahead of everybody in R&D doing things we never even thought of. If they believe it will make a better product we'll see it. We may or may not agree with them. I can wait.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh