06-19-2016 10:41 AM
    What kind of smart watch is that?
    06-19-2016 11:01 AM
    Apple sports watch 38 mm. The band and case came from Amazon.com.
    06-19-2016 11:05 AM
    Did not know that Father's Day is patriotic. Well maybe for founding fathers.
    06-19-2016 09:28 PM
    Did not know that Father's Day is patriotic. Well maybe for founding fathers.
    You don't need a specific day to be patriotic. @edswife1970 just happened to be feeling it that day -- and good for her!
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    06-21-2016 06:31 AM
    You don't need a specific day to be patriotic. @edswife1970 just happened to be feeling it that day -- and good for her!
    One great feeling.
    06-21-2016 01:02 PM
    06-21-2016 02:15 PM
    Do you feel sorry for people born in other countries?
    07-20-2016 11:33 AM
    Do you feel sorry for people born in other countries?
    To whom are you replying and what does feeling patriotic have to do with sympathy for someone born in other countries? I don't see the connection.
    07-20-2016 11:42 AM
    To whom are you replying and what does feeling patriotic have to do with sympathy for someone born in other countries? I don't see the connection.
    I was asking the patriotic people above. If you feel patriotic, how can you not feel sorry for people from other countries? Aren't they missing out simply because of where they were born? Just trying to understand the logic of this thread.
    07-20-2016 11:56 AM
    I was asking the patriotic people above. If you feel patriotic, how can you not feel sorry for people from other countries? Aren't they missing out simply because of where they were born? Just trying to understand the logic of this thread.
    During the Olympics, people from all participating countries root strongly for the participants representing their country / homeland. That's being patriotic. While doing so, I'd argue that a majority of them do not feel sorry for the participants from other countries, especially if they lose to the winner representing their own country. Feeling good about one's homeland does not equate to feeling sorry for someone else's. Wearing a jersey of my favorite sports team does not mean I feel sorry for anyone wearing the jerseys of theirs. The only logic to this thread is the fact that the OP felt patriotic on the day he or she created this thread and wanted to share of pic of the patriotic wallpaper displayed on his or her Watch.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 07-20-2016 at 03:05 PM.
    07-20-2016 12:06 PM
    Is it purely a distance thing, i.e. you prefer something that's 10km away to something that's 11km away? What would happen if you lived close to a border?
    07-20-2016 02:29 PM
    Is it purely a distance thing, i.e. you prefer something that's 10km away to something that's 11km away? What would happen if you lived close to a border?
    ???
    Tartarus and firstborn80 like this.
    07-20-2016 03:06 PM
    Patriotism is like leaves in an ocean.
    Some survive the biggest floods while some simply drown in the calmest seas.

There is no scale to measure patriotism, as it shouldn't be measured.

Patriotism is also like fingerprints.
    No two persons in the world have the same ideals.
    Last edited by Tartarus; 07-17-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    07-20-2016 07:56 PM
    ???
    I think the original post was very clear - Is it [patriotism] purely a distance thing, i.e. you prefer something that's 10km away to something that's 11km away? What would happen if you lived close to a border?
    07-17-2017 05:28 AM
    Patriotism is like leaves in an ocean.
    Some survive the biggest floods while some simply drown in the calmest seas.

There is no scale to measure patriotism, as it shouldn't.

Patriotism is also like fingerprints.
    No two persons in the world have the same ideals.
    Is patriotism an ideal? Is it an ideal to think people who were born in one area of the world are more deserving of support (etc) than people born in another?
    07-17-2017 05:32 AM
    I think the original post was very clear - Is it [patriotism] purely a distance thing, i.e. you prefer something that's 10km away to something that's 11km away? What would happen if you lived close to a border?
    Patriotism is defined as vigorous support for one’s country. It’s that simple. It has nothing to do with distance or sympathy. My Olympic reference in my earlier post was crystal clear in that regard.
    07-17-2017 06:47 AM
    Patriotism is defined as vigorous support for one’s country. It’s that simple. It has nothing to do with distance or sympathy. My Olympic reference in my earlier post was crystal clear in that regard.
    Two points:
    1. Yes of course. I'm not sure why you answered my previous question with question marks.
    2. I am trying to understand what causes patriotism. According to Tartarus, it is an ideal, which I find an interesting position. According to you, it's not about distance but about borders (if I understand correctly). I'm just curious about why someone would judge someone else based on the geographical location of their birth.
    07-17-2017 07:01 AM
    Two points:
    1. Yes of course. I'm not sure why you answered my previous question with question marks.
    2. I am trying to understand what causes patriotism. According to Tartarus, it is an ideal, which I find an interesting position. According to you, it's not about distance but about borders (if I understand correctly). I'm just curious about why someone would judge someone else based on the geographical location of their birth.
    A love for one’s country is not a judgement against someone else or their geographical location. It’s simply a matter of love of what someone considers his own. I’m going to assume you love your own mother. Are you going to negatively judge me because I love my own mother? If one sibling loves living in the house he grew up in and the other loves living in his new house in another city, are you not going to still love your brother and vice versa or are you going to negatively judge him because he doesn’t like living in the same house that you love living in?
    07-17-2017 07:31 AM
    The United States of America is my home. I was born here and almost all of my life’s experiences have been experienced here. I love my country passionately and I will defend it to the death, if necessary. Why? Because this is my home, my kids’ home, my parents’ home, etcetera. With that in mind, it doesn’t mean I dislike someone else’s country or that I belittle someone for being from somewhere else. I am indeed a patriot of my country just like someone else is a patriot of his.
    Tartarus and Not Quite Right like this.
    07-17-2017 07:39 AM
    Gotta laugh at anyone who doesn't understand what being patriotic means. I've been gone from my country for a decade now, and even I know what it means to love ones country, despite not really having a fond love for mine.

Just because you don't agree does not equate to the logic being hard to grasp.
    Just_Me_D and robertk328 like this.
    07-17-2017 08:03 AM
    How u get the flag?
    07-23-2017 02:39 PM
    How u get the flag?
    It's just a picture from my photo gallery.
    07-24-2017 11:05 AM
    The United States of America is my home. I was born here and almost all of my life’s experiences have been experienced here. I love my country passionately and I will defend it to the death, if necessary. Why? Because this is my home, my kids’ home, my parents’ home, etcetera. With that in mind, it doesn’t mean I dislike someone else’s country or that I belittle someone for being from somewhere else. I am indeed a patriot of my country just like someone else is a patriot of his.
    Would you support a sportsperson from your country over a sportsperson from another country? Isn't that "belittling someone for being from somewhere else"?
    07-26-2017 04:02 AM
    Would you support a sportsperson from your country over a sportsperson from another country? Isn't that "belittling someone for being from somewhere else"?
    I’m a Turk, living in The Netherlands and in my younger years I supported Maradonna, Roberto Carlos, Füller, Gullit, Müller, van Basten, Koeman, Saffet, Ali, Feyyaz, Ronaldinho, Romero and so on and so.
    As you can see they are from different countries.

Patriotism is not the same as racism, stop trying to put them under the same category.
    07-26-2017 05:10 AM
34 12