Feeling patriotic today!

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Gotta laugh at anyone who doesn't understand what being patriotic means. I've been gone from my country for a decade now, and even I know what it means to love ones country, despite not really having a fond love for mine.

Just because you don't agree does not equate to the logic being hard to grasp.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The United States of America is my home. I was born here and almost all of my life’s experiences have been experienced here. I love my country passionately and I will defend it to the death, if necessary. Why? Because this is my home, my kids’ home, my parents’ home, etcetera. With that in mind, it doesn’t mean I dislike someone else’s country or that I belittle someone for being from somewhere else. I am indeed a patriot of my country just like someone else is a patriot of his.

Would you support a sportsperson from your country over a sportsperson from another country? Isn't that "belittling someone for being from somewhere else"?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Would you support a sportsperson from your country over a sportsperson from another country? Isn't that "belittling someone for being from somewhere else"?

I’m a Turk, living in The Netherlands and in my younger years I supported Maradonna, Roberto Carlos, Füller, Gullit, Müller, van Basten, Koeman, Saffet, Ali, Feyyaz, Ronaldinho, Romero and so on and so.
As you can see they are from different countries.

Patriotism is not the same as racism, stop trying to put them under the same category.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Dude, just stop. You have your mind set on redefining patriotism, and I’m not with that. Take care.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
This is an interesting topic.
I think the misunderstanding comes in, at least in the U.S., because there are people who are both. Those people are on the extreme and warp the meaning of patriotism. They hate anyone different from them. I believe they use the word patriotism to hide their racist views.
While I don't consider myself patriotic to one country I do understand the meaning for others. I think it's all in your interpretation of the word.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think the misunderstanding comes in, at least in the U.S., because there are people who are both. Those people are on the extreme and warp the meaning of patriotism. They hate anyone different from them. I believe they use the word patriotism to hide their racist views.
While I don't consider myself patriotic to one country I do understand the meaning for others. I think it's all in your interpretation of the word.

Good point. My definition certainly doesn’t allow for racism in that word.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Vigorous support/love for one’s country is pretty specific to me....:)

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Vigorous support/love for one’s country is pretty specific to me....:)

I didn't raise the word "racism" - that was our friend Tartatus's contribution. I was interested to how he or she came to that position. Nevertheless - s/he does raise an interesting question. This "vigorous love" for one's country (is the word "vigorous" really a good choice?!) - how far does it go? If you support, for example, a sportsperson from your country in a competition, would you also give preference to someone from your country when recruiting for a job?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm feeling Patriotic today. Any body gotta problem with that?
21a709ba33f10c81c7b24345a34aefa3.png

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods