Apple Watch: One Year Later

dharris382

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
So, I know most of the major tech sites have covered this topic already. We've seen pieces and YouTube videos about reviewer's feelings about the device a year later.

By now, most early adopters have had their devices for a year or should be coming up on a year. So, I'd like to hear your thoughts, as fellow consumers, on your watch after it being a part of your life for a year.

Do you wear it everyday? Has it made your life a little easier? If so, how? What are some of your favorite features? What are some improvements that you'd like to see? Will you early adopt on Apple Watch 2?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I barely wear it these days. Better battery life, faster performance, and more useful features would be nice to have on the Apple Watch 2.

ab21au

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Every day wear for exercise, notifications of texts, messenger etc. Sleep+ app at night. Even better than I thought. Also use Siri on the watch to play Apple Music in the car.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my Apple Watch for about 6 months but I'm still wearing it daily. I love the convenience of getting my notifications on my wrist. Complications provide quick access to information like the weather and health stats. As far as improvements, I'd love to see more app support and better performance/load times. It's very slow overall. I would welcome support for third party watch faces with.
I may or may not adopt the Watch 2. It just depends on what it offers that my current Watch doesn't.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Used to wear it daily for a few months then started to rotate back with my mechanicals as I felt I was neglecting them. Still, wearing the AW around 3 to 4 times a week.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I wear it every day and have worn it every day since getting it over a year ago. The Watch serves me well, and I'm very pleased with it.

appolusionist

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I wear mine daily just for the convenience of getting notifications without having to dig out my phone. I usually can get 2 days of use before I have to charge it again.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I wear my watch daily due to health tracking and notifications. But my honest opinion about the watch is it's very slow, the apps suck/very slow to load, and it is pretty thick. It definitely feels like a 1st gen product and it feels rushed.

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Didn't have the Apple Watch but the Gear S2 paired with my Note 4. For the average person smart watches really don't offer much. Wrist notifications and basic health functions don't warrant the expense. I found the Apple crown to be less intuitive than the Samsung rotating bezel. In the end I prefer the look and feel of a real quality watch. Smartwatches don't have that solid feel or "look."

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
A quick question. If I wish to add my credit cards for Apple Pay in my Apple Watch, is it a must that I need to turn on passcode on the watch?

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It's been 5 months and I'm quite pleased with it so far. It helps me in keeping active, pick a call while I'm driving, quickly dismiss a meeting alert :D etc . I've multiple bands as well(Apple's Nylon, 3rd party link bracelet and the stock Sports band)

doc16mom

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I wear my watch daily. I use it for exercise, messages and love seeing who is calling with out taking out my phone. The apps are not that great, and the load time is very slow. I will only buy the next generation if there are more features that I want. If this is a typical Apple product you will see upgrades in small increments with bigger software updates. I hope they use the same bands for watch 2. I have so many bands for my watch I will be pissed if they don't fit on the new watch!

dharris382

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I believe so. The passcode (and it being on your wrist) is the only way for Apple Watch to know that you're you, essentially. If you remove it from your wrist and someone else picks it up, they would have access to your credit cards.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I believe so. The passcode (and it being on your wrist) is the only way for Apple Watch to know that you're you, essentially. If you remove it from your wrist and someone else picks it up, they would have access to your credit cards.

Thanks for the explanation. By the way I made my first Apple Pay transaction via iPhone today and didn't wear the Apple Watch, it's so cool as it was only recently launched here in Singapore.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've only had mine about a month and I really appreciate what it gives me. Even though I have a plus, I keep my phone in my pocket. Love the nice wrist taps when navigating. The health stuff is what I wanted it for but it has become so much more than a fitness tracker at this point.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I mostly agree with everyone's opinions here. I consider the watch to be a cool device that does some interesting stuff and has lots of potential.

As a long time Fitbit wearer before getting the watch, I'm not crazy about the fitness tracking abilities. Feel that Fitbit Charge HR was clearly better here and has improved over the last year.

Siri is hit and miss, need some improvement here especially when sending messages. She often gets confused on who I want to send the message to and what I want it to say.

Third party apps are hit and miss. Some are pretty good, Dark Sky, HeartWatch, Transit, ETA. Some are so slow that it's not even worth it.

That said, I've worn my watch all day every day since I purchased it last July. Another positive note, it has never died on me throughout the day, battery life has been pretty solid.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've only had mine about a month and I really appreciate what it gives me. Even though I have a plus, I keep my phone in my pocket. Love the nice wrist taps when navigating. The health stuff is what I wanted it for but it has become so much more than a fitness tracker at this point.

I would recommend you get HeartWatch if you want some good heart health data:

HeartWatch. View & get notified about heart rate data captured on your watch. by Tantsissa
https://appsto.re/us/hwdw_.i

dharris382

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Just realized that I didn't give my take.

I've had my watch for a year and overall, I am very happy with the device and with my purchase. I purposely bought a 42mm Sport because I wanted a first gen device but I didn't want to pay too much for a device that basically does the same thing across all price points.

I do have some annoyances though. From time to time, my watch will lock itself while it's still on my wrist. Mostly likely due to it losing contact with my skin for whatever reason. It's not a huge issue but it's an annoyance.

"Hey Siri" sucks on the watch! On certain occasions, I'll look like a complete ***** saying, "hey Siri..." "HEY SIRI...." until I just give up and push in the crown. Notifications can get a little annoying. Apps like Twitter, FB Messenger, Dark Sky are good apps but they use that louder bell or chime and if you're getting a bunch of those at a time, it can be a little much.

A couple weeks ago, I took my watch off to charge it, it still had pretty decent battery life and for whatever reason, it shut completely off and it wouldn't turn on. I had to do a hard reset and it rebooted itself.

There are a ton of first gen glitches and annoyances and I am hoping that the 2nd gen models fixes them. I would love to see it a little more independent from the phone. For example, my watch can't control my Apple TV without my phone, right? It would be hot if that was more independent. I would like to see more watch faces. I would love for Apple to open up Time-lapse for us to include our own personal time-lapse photos.

Again, overall, I love it. I'm going to upgrade when the gen 2s are released. I'm very interested to see what improvements will be made.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR