Apple Watch - must I carry my phone to track a run on my watch?

I

iMore Question

apple watch - must i carry my phone to track a run on my watch

the phone is heavy to run with... will the watch record the distance, pulse etc without the phone nearby?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: apple watch - must i carry my phone to track a run on my watch

The Watch will record various activities without the presence of the iPhone. Having said that, it does not have a GPS chip so if you want accuracy in regard to distance, you will need to have your iPhone on you while you run.

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Im 99% sure that the watch will not track all the information about the run, being away from the phone the watch just remembers steps and motion to help complete the 3 rings (they sync to the phone once in range again) it will not record distance etc.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

A possible solution would be one of those phone straps that go on your arm, or one of those tummy packs.

I have an armband and that works well. As others posted for accurate results, the phone needs to be with you. The AW will learn your stride and estimate your run, but it won't be as accurate as a GPS.

meebee

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
An estimated Distance will be recorded. And if you have run with the watch and phone before, it may be fairly accurate -- on longer runs within a half mile. It measures your gate and cadence to estimate how far you ran. Sometimes it's more accurate than others. Depending on what you're using it for, it may be sufficient to give you an idea.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Im 99% sure that the watch will not track all the information about the run, being away from the phone the watch just remembers steps and motion to help complete the 3 rings (they sync to the phone once in range again) it will not record distance etc.

And I'm 99% sure that you are incorrect. As long as you're running the activity app, the watch will track active calories, total time, total distance, avg pace, and avg heart rate, with or without the phone. As others have noted, it will just be less accurate on distance.

meebee

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
$50 Garmin? You must mean a used garmin for that price.

As others have said, if you are serious about running then garmin is the much better choice.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site

And I'm 99% sure that you are incorrect. As long as you're running the activity app, the watch will track active calories, total time, total distance, avg pace, and avg heart rate, with or without the phone. As others have noted, it will just be less accurate on distance.

I agree w this. In my experience, the distance is pretty accurate too not having the phone w you. I also have a Microsoft band 2 that has GPS and they are close for the first 2-3 miles. I don't run much further than that so I don't know how far off it would be with higher mileage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR