After testing the Watch in a short practice run about 10 days ago (using Runtastic), I felt okay about using the Watch for my 10K today. Man, was I wrong. For starters (and I don't know if it's just me), I had such a hard time getting Runtastic to even open on my Watch. Once it finally did open (early in mile 1), it would not respond to my taps to start running. My hands weren't sweaty (it was 35 degrees at the start), so that couldn't have been an issue. Has anyone else had that problem? I finally gave up, uninstalled and reinstalled the app during a water break, but it still did not work. Thank God I brought my Microsoft Band 1 as a backup, but still - what a disappointment. Am I missing something?

Runners, have you used other running apps on the Watch? I had been using Map My Run with my Band, but since it doesn't have a native Watch app, I figured I could switch to Runtastic. Since I carry my phone with me, though, I think I'll go back to Map My Run. What other apps do runners use that have worked well? Even though I just got the Watch, I'm really hoping that Apple improves version 2 for running so I can sell this one. I like the other features a great deal, but if this keeps happening, I'll drive myself nuts!
    joro1 likes this.
    04-10-2016 03:40 PM
    I have and use my Apple Watch for every trail run and mountain bike ride using Strava.

It's awesome and I can launch Strava from my watch as well as monitor my mileage, speed, and hear rate. Apple and Strava are one of the main reasons I came back to a SE.
    04-10-2016 05:40 PM
    I use Runkeeper but not on the watch. I just set the exercise to outside run, on my watch, but I use Runkeeper on my phone. I have a 1/2 marathon coming up, and I'm thinking that I'll not even turn on the exercise app on the watch and just use my iPhone
    04-11-2016 06:04 AM
    I use Runkeeper but not on the watch. I just set the exercise to outside run, on my watch, but I use Runkeeper on my phone. I have a 1/2 marathon coming up, and I'm thinking that I'll not even turn on the exercise app on the watch and just use my iPhone
    Word of warning about RunKeeper. Ran a marathon relay yesterday and thought I'd use RK with my AW to track the run. Regret it 110%. Started the run fine when i crossed starting line and a few min later, saw that it had stopped for some reason. Started it again only to have the same thing happen a few min later. And again a third time. After that, I was beyond frustrated and already 2+ miles into my race. I just started the outdoor run feature on my AW workout app and called it a day. I will likely never use RK again due to this experience. So disappointing. I was using Apple Music for my playlist don't know if that interfered but thought I'd point that out. Don't think that was it bc had a similar issue on a shorter run a few weeks ago when RK mysteriously stopped a few miles in after I got a text message during my run.

I'm also bummed to hear that Runtastic has similar issues bc that was my next go to app.
    04-11-2016 06:12 AM
    Regret it 110%. Started the run fine when i crossed starting line and a few min later, saw that it had stopped for some reason.
    I had the issue myself once, but I turned off auto pause and it hadn't occurred since then. So far on my longish runs, its not been an issue, though I do have my fingers crossed for this weekend
    04-11-2016 07:37 AM
    I have used Runkeeper and Nike Running on my iPhones for years, and I use the built-in activity app on the watch now as well. I do not control RK or Nike via the watch since I always carry my iPhone when jogging. I definitely turn off the auto pause features of the apps because are not reliable at all -- I just let the apps keep tracking me even if I have to stop for a bit. I have had the apps fail on me occasionally but with thousands of activities tracked it is not that big of a deal overall...
    04-11-2016 12:02 PM
    I had the issue myself once, but I turned off auto pause and it hadn't occurred since then. So far on my longish runs, its not been an issue, though I do have my fingers crossed for this weekend
    I have used Runkeeper and Nike Running on my iPhones for years, and I use the built-in activity app on the watch now as well. I do not control RK or Nike via the watch since I always carry my iPhone when jogging. I definitely turn off the auto pause features of the apps because are not reliable at all -- I just let the apps keep tracking me even if I have to stop for a bit. I have had the apps fail on me occasionally but with thousands of activities tracked it is not that big of a deal overall...
    Auto pause is definitely toggled to off. I just double checked. Mine wasn't even paused. The app was not even active. It simply crashed. So disappointing. Of course I can initiate it from my phone, but what's the point of having an app for the AW if it's not dependable.

Question - do you guys have Apple Music on when you use RK? I don't think that's the issue, but thought I'd ask.
    04-11-2016 03:17 PM
    Question - do you guys have Apple Music on when you use RK? I don't think that's the issue, but thought I'd ask.
    No, I just have RK running on my phone and nothing else on my watch or phone.
    04-11-2016 05:04 PM
    I've also more or less given up on the Runkeeper watch app. When I run I start it on the phone and go. Have had far too many crashes and delayed starts when starting from the watch app. I don't think I even have it installed on the watch anymore.

Problems seemed to increase when I started using a chest strap heart rate monitor. Totally threw the watch app into a fit.
    04-11-2016 06:08 PM
    Yep, Apple Music and Match both on and active. I think more generally I do not even use any apps on the Watch, it is just not a good experience. It tells the time, I can glance at my calendar and incoming emails and that's about it for me...
    04-11-2016 07:13 PM
    I've also more or less given up on the Runkeeper watch app. When I run I start it on the phone and go. Have had far too many crashes and delayed starts when starting from the watch app. I don't think I even have it installed on the watch anymore.

Problems seemed to increase when I started using a chest strap heart rate monitor. Totally threw the watch app into a fit.
    Yep, Apple Music and Match both on and active. I think more generally I do not even use any apps on the Watch, it is just not a good experience. It tells the time, I can glance at my calendar and incoming emails and that's about it for me...
    It's really too bad that it's this way. I wonder how Runtastic and RK can put out an AW app that is largely not functional. Really disappointing. I'm just gonna say that I had none of these issues with this type of integration on both the original Pebble and Pebble Time.
    04-11-2016 07:33 PM
    Runners, have you used other running apps on the Watch? I had been using Map My Run with my Band, but since it doesn't have a native Watch app, I figured I could switch to Runtastic. Since I carry my phone with me, though, I think I'll go back to Map My Run. What other apps do runners use that have worked well? Even though I just got the Watch, I'm really hoping that Apple improves version 2 for running so I can sell this one. I like the other features a great deal, but if this keeps happening, I'll drive myself nuts!
    I'm perfectly happy with the stock Apple workout app with outdoor or indoor run as necessary. To be fair, I run the same path nearly every day so I don't need features such as a map of my run. The stock app provides everything I want except the ability to track cume stats, and I get those by manually entering runs in my garmin calendar.
    04-11-2016 10:41 PM
    After testing the Watch in a short practice run about 10 days ago (using Runtastic), I felt okay about using the Watch for my 10K today. Man, was I wrong. For starters (and I don't know if it's just me), I had such a hard time getting Runtastic to even open on my Watch. Once it finally did open (early in mile 1), it would not respond to my taps to start running. My hands weren't sweaty (it was 35 degrees at the start), so that couldn't have been an issue. Has anyone else had that problem? I finally gave up, uninstalled and reinstalled the app during a water break, but it still did not work. Thank God I brought my Microsoft Band 1 as a backup, but still - what a disappointment. Am I missing something?

I don't have an Apple Watch, but I'm using Runtastic on my iPhone since its release, and the app has always been very reliable.
    I'm actually planning to buy an Apple Watch to use it with Runtastic, now that they are discounted.

I have a question for you: why did you actually start the run before the app was up and running ?
    04-12-2016 06:13 AM
    I don't have an Apple Watch, but I'm using Runtastic on my iPhone since its release, and the app has always been very reliable.
    I'm actually planning to buy an Apple Watch to use it with Runtastic, now that they are discounted.

I have a question for you: why did you actually start the run before the app was up and running ?
    I tried to start it multiple times before the run, but it just would not load up. Once the race began, I figured I could go slow in the beginning and try to get the app working. Alas, that did not happen.
    04-12-2016 07:27 AM
    I tried to start it multiple times before the run, but it just would not load up. Once the race began, I figured I could go slow in the beginning and try to get the app working. Alas, that did not happen.
    Well, as I said before, I have no experience with the Apple Watch, but using Runtastic every other day I never experienced a fail like that.
    04-12-2016 09:03 AM
    You guys with Apple watches (or without) should really give Strava a chance. It's all I use for my runs and rides and it's fantastic!

There is a free version.
    04-12-2016 10:46 AM
    You guys with Apple watches (or without) should really give Strava a chance. It's all I use for my runs and rides and it's fantastic!

There is a free version.
    Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try Strava. Have read good things about it. Was under the impression it was more for bikers, but I'm open to anything. Do you have an AW? Does the Strava app crash on AW?
    04-12-2016 10:54 AM
    Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try Strava. Have read good things about it. Was under the impression it was more for bikers, but I'm open to anything. Do you have an AW? Does the Strava app crash on AW?
    Yes. I have a AW and use it on every trail run and mountain bike ride. It's never crashed before. Strava is awesome and let's you literally see your progress. The heart rate monitor on the AW is way more comfortable than a chest strap as well.

The only bug I've noticed is that if you launch Strava from your watch, it'll go back to your home watch face.

If you launch Strava from your phone, the AW will stay on the Strava screen lol. Weird.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    04-12-2016 12:52 PM
    Yes. I have a AW and use it on every trail run and mountain bike ride. It's never crashed before. Strava is awesome and let's you literally see your progress. The heart rate monitor on the AW is way more comfortable than a chest strap as well.

The only bug I've noticed is that if you launch Strava from your watch, it'll go back to your home watch face.

If you launch Strava from your phone, the AW will stay on the Strava screen lol. Weird.
    Interesting. Glad to hear it doesn't crash, though. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow on my run and report back.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    04-12-2016 01:55 PM
    To add.

I have tried to use the native exercise app on the watch and it's crashed on me a few times.

So now l just use Strava exclusively and the native Activity app for counting everything else throughout the day. Perfect match for me.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    04-12-2016 02:03 PM
    I'm a multisport Race Director and an Ironman Triathlete. I think smart technology for endurance sports (Running, Cycling, Swimming) is one of the greatest things to happen for endurance athletes. However, I do have issues with athletes that want to argue with me about their finish times. They tend to take their watches and iPhone running apps as Gospel, and they want to know why the chip timing system is off by a second or two VS their personal timing device.

That's not accurate. The question they should be asking is why are their smart watches and apps off by a second or two. Professional chip timing systems cost tens of thousands of dollars (and I know this first hand) and they are accurate to one thousandth of a second. That 0.000. They link to satellites for GPS precision time accuracy and there is never a question of accuracy IF the chip is read. My particular system is used by the Olympic Committee for Olympic timing, so I would not question the accuracy.

Where these personal systems come in handy is for training, and for competition when the timing system fails, usually for a missed chip read. Even the best systems do not guarantee 100 percent chip read accuracy. Sometimes chips are missed by the transponder decoders, sometimes the chips themselves in bibs or on ankles go bad and do not transmit, sometimes you can accidentally block these chips with body parts or with clothing if you wear heavy clothing over your BIB or Ankle Chip. It's nice to have a backup just in the very very rare instance that your chip is not read. I've seen missed chip reads mostly from athletes crossing the finish line, crossing their arms over their BIB numbers (and thus the chips as timing chips for runners are usually attached to the back of BIB numbers). They cross their arms over the BIB to shut off their smart watches. By doing so, the arm blocks the chip read about 1 or 2 percent of the time. That's one or two chip reads out of 100 being blocked by covering the chip with a body part.

Most Race Companies use HD Video on the finish line synced to the race clock to reconstruct a time if the timing system failed to get a read on an athlete chip. It's one of the reasons I plead with athletes to wear their BIB on the OUTSIDE and ON THE FRONT so the camera can see the bib as they cross. Murphy's law, if they do this, their chip will read right 100 percent of the time. If they wear the BIB on their back, they are temping fate and Murphy and his law will crawl out of the cave to rain on their timing parade, making it tough for a Timer to reconstruct the time for the athlete since he has no idea who the person in the video is, since they do not show a BIB number.

As an athlete, I use Runtastic, Mapmyrun, and a few others for my training. Race day, I rely on a GPS watch and the chip timing system of the race company.
    04-12-2016 02:59 PM
    I'm a multisport Race Director and an Ironman Triathlete. I think smart technology for endurance sports (Running, Cycling, Swimming) is one of the greatest things to happen for endurance athletes. However, I do have issues with athletes that want to argue with me about their finish times. They tend to take their watches and iPhone running apps as Gospel, and they want to know why the chip timing system is off by a second or two VS their personal timing device.

That's not accurate. The question they should be asking is why are their smart watches and apps off by a second or two. Professional chip timing systems cost tens of thousands of dollars (and I know this first hand) and they are accurate to one thousandth of a second. That 0.000. They link to satellites for GPS precision time accuracy and there is never a question of accuracy IF the chip is read. My particular system is used by the Olympic Committee for Olympic timing, so I would not question the accuracy.

Where these personal systems come in handy is for training, and for competition when the timing system fails, usually for a missed chip read. Even the best systems do not guarantee 100 percent chip read accuracy. Sometimes chips are missed by the transponder decoders, sometimes the chips themselves in bibs or on ankles go bad and do not transmit, sometimes you can accidentally block these chips with body parts or with clothing if you wear heavy clothing over your BIB or Ankle Chip. It's nice to have a backup just in the very very rare instance that your chip is not read. I've seen missed chip reads mostly from athletes crossing the finish line, crossing their arms over their BIB numbers (and thus the chips as timing chips for runners are usually attached to the back of BIB numbers). They cross their arms over the BIB to shut off their smart watches. By doing so, the arm blocks the chip read about 1 or 2 percent of the time. That's one or two chip reads out of 100 being blocked by covering the chip with a body part.

Most Race Companies use HD Video on the finish line synced to the race clock to reconstruct a time if the timing system failed to get a read on an athlete chip. It's one of the reasons I plead with athletes to wear their BIB on the OUTSIDE and ON THE FRONT so the camera can see the bib as they cross. Murphy's law, if they do this, their chip will read right 100 percent of the time. If they wear the BIB on their back, they are temping fate and Murphy and his law will crawl out of the cave to rain on their timing parade, making it tough for a Timer to reconstruct the time for the athlete since he has no idea who the person in the video is, since they do not show a BIB number.

As an athlete, I use Runtastic, Mapmyrun, and a few others for my training. Race day, I rely on a GPS watch and the chip timing system of the race company.
    Thanks for your insight. I always rely on the official times published by the race coordinators, but it's nice to have something like Runtastic, RunKeeper, etc to pace myself during the race.

My problem is never with the official chip time. I just wish that the running apps don't keep crashing during activities. Have you had Runtastic crash on your Apple Watch? I'm assuming you have an AW, but maybe you don't.
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    04-12-2016 04:16 PM
    To add.

I have tried to use the native exercise app on the watch and it's crashed on me a few times.

So now l just use Strava exclusively and the native Activity app for counting everything else throughout the day. Perfect match for me.
    I've never had the native app crash on me. Would be a shame if it did.
    04-12-2016 04:17 PM
    Thanks for your insight. I always rely on the official times published by the race coordinators, but it's nice to have something like Runtastic, RunKeeper, etc to pace myself during the race.

My problem is never with the official chip time. I just wish that the running apps don't keep crashing during activities. Have you had Runtastic crash on your Apple Watch? I'm assuming you have an AW, but maybe you don't.
    Yes, I have had Runtastic crash on me. It's not all the time, but I think two or three times in the last year. I run five days a week, about 3 miles a day, just short of a 5k. I'm not sure WHY it crashed when it did.

When I compete, I always have Runtastic running in the background so I can get my time regardless. I no longer compete for placement like I did when I was trying to get to Ironman Kona by qualifying. During Triathlon, I obviously do not have anything in the water, just on the Bike and Run disciplines. If it's just a 1/2 Marathon or a 10k, I rarely even look at the Race Clock any longer. I just rely on my personal timing, mostly because it's no longer a "qualifying" time I'm aiming for.
    04-12-2016 04:30 PM
    To add.

In hundreds of workouts (running and lifting), the native Activity app has never crashed.

Can you tell me what Strava would give me that the Activity app doesn't?
    04-12-2016 06:19 PM
73 123