Epic fail running a 10K with my Watch and Runtastic

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
So I have been starting a run with Runkeeper on my phone and then starting an Outdoor Run on my watch. Seems silly to have to do this but then I get the map from Runkeeper and glance able information and heart rate from the watch.

Same when I bike.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
So I have been starting a run with Runkeeper on my phone and then starting an Outdoor Run on my watch. Seems silly to have to do this but then I get the map from Runkeeper and glance able information and heart rate from the watch.

Same when I bike.

That does sound silly. Has RK crashed for you like it has crashed for so many of us? That's why I don't use RK anymore.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I use mapmyrun on my long runs and I've found it to be pretty accurate as well. Looking forward to hearing your report back. I really just want a running app that works consistently on my AW. But apparently, that's asking for too much.

I've found Endomondo to be the most accurate and consistently bug-free running app for the AW. There have been a few issues where it wouldn't start properly over the past several months, but I find if I remember to do both a watch reset and a phone reset before each run, it's bug free and accurate. It's very disappointing it's not a native AW app yet, nor does it support the HRM, but with its customizable screens/fields and accuracy it's always my go-to.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
That does sound silly. Has RK crashed for you like it has crashed for so many of us? That's why I don't use RK anymore.

It has been pretty bad but I have a subscription and tons of data saved there so I'm trying to maintain those data.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It has been pretty bad but I have a subscription and tons of data saved there so I'm trying to maintain those data.

You're more patient than I. Especially with a paid thing, I'd expect things to work. I'm gonna give Endomondo a shot this week. Of course, it's gonna rain most of the week so I may not get to run outside.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've found Endomondo to be the most accurate and consistently bug-free running app for the AW. There have been a few issues where it wouldn't start properly over the past several months, but I find if I remember to do both a watch reset and a phone reset before each run, it's bug free and accurate. It's very disappointing it's not a native AW app yet, nor does it support the HRM, but with its customizable screens/fields and accuracy it's always my go-to.

Good to hear. I will give it a shot. I prob won't reset it everyday. In my opinion, resetting it every single time isn't something that I should need to do to have things work. Will report back.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Did another run, this one 3.5 miles based on MapMyRun.com. AW with Endomondo off by 1/100th of a mile, Garmin 235 off by just under 1/10th of a mile. I'm really surprised by the results. Really thought a Garmin would always be more accurate.

ETennGixxer

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I use Map my Run.. The one time that I used Apple Music I had issues with the app not tracking my run.. Luckily I caught it early, and closed Apple music and map my run.. Reopened Map my run, and switched back to Spotify and the problem went away.. Not sure which app it was, but i've not had an issue since, but I've not used Apple music since either..

I ran a 10K last weekend, and couldn't for the life of me get my watch to start map my run (first time this has ever happened).. Before I noticed it I was about a half mile in and already getting a little sweaty.. Pulled my phone off my arm and started it through the app.. Once Map my run was open and started on my phone my watch picked it up without any more problems.. I've ran twice since and not had any issues.. I chalk it up to being nervous for my first race, and I just missed it at the start...

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Did another run, this one 3.5 miles based on MapMyRun.com. AW with Endomondo off by 1/100th of a mile, Garmin 235 off by just under 1/10th of a mile. I'm really surprised by the results. Really thought a Garmin would always be more accurate.

Yea, that is surprising to me. I still haven't gotten out for a run bc of rain in my area. Treadmills are it for me this week until it drys up a little. But I am looking forward to giving Endomondo a shot.

I use Map my Run.. The one time that I used Apple Music I had issues with the app not tracking my run.. Luckily I caught it early, and closed Apple music and map my run.. Reopened Map my run, and switched back to Spotify and the problem went away.. Not sure which app it was, but i've not had an issue since, but I've not used Apple music since either..

I ran a 10K last weekend, and couldn't for the life of me get my watch to start map my run (first time this has ever happened).. Before I noticed it I was about a half mile in and already getting a little sweaty.. Pulled my phone off my arm and started it through the app.. Once Map my run was open and started on my phone my watch picked it up without any more problems.. I've ran twice since and not had any issues.. I chalk it up to being nervous for my first race, and I just missed it at the start...

Interesting about your Apple Music observation. I use AM during my runs and also suspected that to be a potential culprit. So disappointing if that's the case. I stopped my Spotify service in favor of AM so if this is the case, it totally stinks.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I've been trying out Runtastic and it seems to be doing well for me. I've only done a handful of runs, and non longer then 5 miles but from what I have seen its pretty decent. My watch did crash once which I can only blame runtastic as it was saving/closing - I've never had my Apple Watch crash like that. It only occurred once and since then its been rock solid

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Make sure to have one second GPS recording selected for the Garmin. The smart recording option uses less data and is reportedly not as accurate.

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

What marathon are you training for ?

AirHej1

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been a Nike + Running app user for years and love it. There's a Nike + Running app specifically for the Watch. Originally when I got my Watch I was disappointed with the app, but the problem was that I had my Watch defaulted to return to watch face each time I raised my wrist. Now that I made the switch I'm able to see my data in the app on my wrist. It's exactly what I was hoping when I picked up the Watch last month.