Epic fail running a 10K with my Watch and Runtastic

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Word of warning about RunKeeper. Ran a marathon relay yesterday and thought I'd use RK with my AW to track the run. Regret it 110%.
I did a 1/2 Marathon today, and I used Runkeeper, and to my disappointed it largely failed. As I tried to keep track of what was going on, it appeared to going as the time seemed to be progressing, yet when I looked further (after the race), I saw that it only captured the last 6 miles. Before that it seemed to turn on and off (or pause if you will) on and off, for much of my prior run.

I'm really disappointed in that, as I felt it was a solid app, but with autopause off, there's no reason for it to stop working.

I have since removed the app from my phone.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I did a 1/2 Marathon today, and I used Runkeeper, and to my disappointed it largely failed. As I tried to keep track of what was going on, it appeared to going as the time seemed to be progressing, yet when I looked further (after the race), I saw that it only captured the last 6 miles. Before that it seemed to turn on and off (or pause if you will) on and off, for much of my prior run.

I'm really disappointed in that, as I felt it was a solid app, but with autopause off, there's no reason for it to stop working.

I have since removed the app from my phone.

I've experienced this on multiple runs, including my race last Sunday. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I hope they fix it. Sounds like they're gonna lose some devoted users.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I hope they fix it. Sounds like they're gonna lose some devoted users.
Thanks, the awkward part, I know someone who works there. I'll have to mention to her the issues. As I said though, based on what you experienced and this one time - I deleted the app. I'll find another running app.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, the awkward part, I know someone who works there. I'll have to mention to her the issues. As I said though, based on what you experienced and this one time - I deleted the app. I'll find another running app.

Nice to have connections. I would definitely give her that feedback.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Runtastic updated the Watch app pause/stop controls, and the app works MUCH better now. I used it for an 8 mile run today and had absolutely no problems. The lag seems improved, too - very quick to pick up distance and pace. I'm definitely using this over Runkeeper from this point forward.

eb_therebel

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Runtastic updated the Watch app pause/stop controls, and the app works MUCH better now. I used it for an 8 mile run today and had absolutely no problems. The lag seems improved, too - very quick to pick up distance and pace. I'm definitely using this over Runkeeper from this point forward.

How does it compare to the built in workout app?

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Strava doesn't do steps etc....

It does time everything you do. If you're competitive with yourself and want to get stronger/faster Strava is key imo.

It times every trail you ride/run for you. Here are a few things that it offers you over the Activity app:

-Lets you follow other athletes
-Athletes can follow you
-You can see who is/was the fastest on a certain trail
-You can see each trail time every ride/run
-If you beat your own time on a certain trail, it'll give you a PR (personal best)
-Gives you personal 1st, 2nd and 3rd best times.
-Tracks routes to share or follow
-Each park is individually marked per park. I ride and run Fort Ord Ca
-Tethered with the watch, it tracks your heart rate and calories burned. Not new but very nice to have.

So basically, it just lets you follow/be followed by others and tracks lol.

It has certainly taken my training to the next level.

So I had an epic fail with Strava this morning. Been using for my outdoor runs the last few weeks and it has been just fine. I really thought that would be my go to running app on the AW ... Until this morning.

I started the run from my iPhone as suggested. When I went to Strava on the AW, it said failed to load (kept spinning and spinning and spinning) and wanted me to be sure Bluetooth was turned on (which it was). I tried several times with no success. Then I rebooted the AW and got the same thing. I ended up just killing it and using the Apple outdoor run feature in the workout app. So disappointing.

I ended up running with Strava on my phone but couldn't see stats from the AW. Boo.

I may try Endomondo or Nike tomorrow morning.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Weird. I've never had any problems with the Apple watch and Strava.

Hopefully it all works out for you. Good luck.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Weird. I've never had any problems with the Apple watch and Strava.

Hopefully it all works out for you. Good luck.

Here's the error I kept getting over and over this morning. There were no prompts on my iPhone

8b021f1d2a5c42d54cba93e91a01215f.jpg

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I've gotten that once or twice before. It's only when I forget to turn on the Bluetooth on my phone....for the watch.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten that once or twice before. It's only when I forget to turn on the Bluetooth on my phone....for the watch.

Bluetooth was turned on. I always have it on. I got it 4-5 times this morning alone. Even after a reboot, which took forever. I wasted 15-20 minutes bc of this issue. I'm so frustrated.

It's things like this that keeps me from loving my AW.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Bluetooth was turned on. I always have it on. I got it 4-5 times this morning alone. Even after a reboot, which took forever. I wasted 15-20 minutes bc of this issue. I'm so frustrated.

It's things like this that keeps me from loving my AW.

Not sure then? The only time I've ever had any kind of trouble was when I had my Bluetooth turned off?

Other than that, it's been flawless. I always launch strava from my phone, monitor with my AW, and usually stop and finish the run/ride from the AW as well.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Not sure then? The only time I've ever had any kind of trouble was when I had my Bluetooth turned off?

Other than that, it's been flawless. I always launch strava from my phone, monitor with my AW, and usually stop and finish the run/ride from the AW as well.

I am sure I had Bluetooth on. I was listening to Apple Music through my Bluetooth earbuds when this all happened.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I am sure I had Bluetooth on. I was listening to Apple Music through my Bluetooth earbuds when this all happened.

Humm? I wonder if Apple Music has anything to do with it? Maybe some Bluetooth interference?Can't see why it would?

I don't have any music on my phone, I always stream Pandora though. Strava and Pandora 100% of the time and zero problems.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Humm? I wonder if Apple Music has anything to do with it? Maybe some Bluetooth interference?Can't see why it would?

I don't have any music on my phone, I always stream Pandora though. Strava and Pandora 100% of the time and zero problems.

I mentioned (perhaps in a different thread) that maybe it was Apple Music not playing well but I'm not sure. None of the running apps I've used have been reliable.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
So I picked up a new Garmin 235 watch to finish my marathon training, and wore both it and my Apple Watch for an 8 mile run today to test accuracy. I expected the Garmin to be more accurate. Surprisingly, the AW/iPhone with Endomondo was only 2/100s off from the MapMyRun PC app, which is always the most accurate measurement. The Garmin was off by a full 1/10th of a mile. I'll test again but very surprised the iPhone was more accurate than a Garmin.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
So I picked up a new Garmin 235 watch to finish my marathon training, and wore both it and my Apple Watch for an 8 mile run today to test accuracy. I expected the Garmin to be more accurate. Surprisingly, the AW/iPhone with Endomondo was only 2/100s off from the MapMyRun PC app, which is always the most accurate measurement. The Garmin was off by a full 1/10th of a mile. I'll test again but very surprised the iPhone was more accurate than a Garmin.

Wow. Interesting. Just curious - how do you determine which is more accurate? I can never really tell which app/device is closest to reality. I usually compare multiples and see which ones are closest to each other. Or if I need encouragement, whichever one tells me I'm fastest is the most "accurate"

I would think the Garmin is most trustworthy since it's built for that.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Wow. Interesting. Just curious - how do you determine which is more accurate? I can never really tell which app/device is closest to reality. I usually compare multiples and see which ones are closest to each other. Or if I need encouragement, whichever one tells me I'm fastest is the most "accurate"

I would think the Garmin is most trustworthy since it's built for that.

That's what I expected too. The MapMyRun website is probably the most accurate mapping/distance tool there is, and it's what magazines & websites usually use to judge he accurate of GPS devices. I just used that, mapped out my exact route, and compared it to the Garmin and AW stats. I'll do a few more this week, but a 2/100ths difference I can live with. 1/10th is too big.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That's what I expected too. The MapMyRun website is probably the most accurate mapping/distance tool there is, and it's what magazines & websites usually use to judge he accurate of GPS devices. I just used that, mapped out my exact route, and compared it to the Garmin and AW stats. I'll do a few more this week, but a 2/100ths difference I can live with. 1/10th is too big.

I use mapmyrun on my long runs and I've found it to be pretty accurate as well. Looking forward to hearing your report back. I really just want a running app that works consistently on my AW. But apparently, that's asking for too much.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73