In hundreds of workouts (running and lifting), the native Activity app has never crashed.

Can you tell me what Strava would give me that the Activity app doesn't?
    Strava doesn't do steps etc....

It does time everything you do. If you're competitive with yourself and want to get stronger/faster Strava is key imo.

It times every trail you ride/run for you. Here are a few things that it offers you over the Activity app:

-Lets you follow other athletes
    -Athletes can follow you
    -You can see who is/was the fastest on a certain trail
    -You can see each trail time every ride/run
    -If you beat your own time on a certain trail, it'll give you a PR (personal best)
    -Gives you personal 1st, 2nd and 3rd best times.
    -Tracks routes to share or follow
    -Each park is individually marked per park. I ride and run Fort Ord Ca
    -Tethered with the watch, it tracks your heart rate and calories burned. Not new but very nice to have.

So basically, it just lets you follow/be followed by others and tracks lol.

It has certainly taken my training to the next level.
    04-12-2016 08:11 PM

It does time everything you do. If you're competitive with yourself and want to get stronger/faster Strava is key imo.

It times every trail you ride/run for you. Here are a few things that it offers you over the Activity app:

-Athletes can follow you
    -If you beat your own time on a certain trail, it'll give you a PR (personal best)
    -Tethered with the watch, it tracks your heart rate and calories burned. Not new but very nice to have.

Does it handle road runs as well? I don't run trails.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    04-12-2016 10:10 PM
    Absolutely!

Most of my friends only run on the road.
    04-12-2016 11:04 PM
    Absolutely!

Most of my friends only run on the road.
    Ok, so I finally got out and did a 4 miler this morning using Strava. I launched it from my phone and started the work out. When I brought up the AW interface, I was stuck on a screen where nothing appeared to be moving and units were in km (but I had set it to miles in settings). I just let it go and continued my run, thinking maybe Strava AW interface was just as messed up as RK and Runtastic, but happy that at least the app didn't crash and kill my workout tracking on the phone.

After the workout, I realized that I was on the wrong screen (I think) so now I'm kicking myself for now playing around with the AW interface prior to starting my run to familiarize myself.

I will try to get out again this weekend but I like the Strava app so far. It gets me what I need. If it can stay up and running, I'll keep using it. Thanks for the tip.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    04-15-2016 11:30 AM
    I've tried pretty much all of the running apps for Apple Watch, and I have yet to find one that's always bug free, but I do find that if I reset both the watch and the phone before each run, they tend to run better. Helps to clear out the cache and all that. Also, I still find that Endomondo is the most accurate and bug free of them all, including Runkeeper, but it doesn't have real support for OS2 so there's no heartrate support and no complication. I do think its the best of them all though.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    04-15-2016 04:25 PM
    I've tried pretty much all of the running apps for Apple Watch, and I have yet to find one that's always bug free, but I do find that if I reset both the watch and the phone before each run, they tend to run better. Helps to clear out the cache and all that. Also, I still find that Endomondo is the most accurate and bug free of them all, including Runkeeper, but it doesn't have real support for OS2 so there's no heartrate support and no complication. I do think its the best of them all though.
    I forgot about Endomondo. Used to use that all the time until I found runkeeper. May have to give that a go. Gonna give Strava a fair shake too. I have read that Endomondo AW crashed a lot ... at least end of last year. Maybe they've addressed it since then.
    04-15-2016 04:55 PM
    Tomorrow morning, I'm going out running and will test each app (Runkeeper, Strava, Runtastic, and the Activity app) out for a mile or so. I'll report back my experiences with each.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    04-15-2016 08:54 PM
    Tomorrow morning, I'm going out running and will test each app (Runkeeper, Strava, Runtastic, and the Activity app) out for a mile or so. I'll report back my experiences with each.
    Looking forward to your results.
    04-15-2016 11:12 PM
    Great. I hope you like Strava, I love it.

What I do, is just launch Strava from my phone and then while I'm warming up (walking), I'll do to Strava on my AW.

It'll look like the watch is doing something (dots left to right), but once you tap on that screen it'll go to your info screen.

If I do this, once the watch times out, just turn your wrist and it'll go back to this screen automatically.

I found that if I launch Strava from my watch it'll go back to the home watch screen once it times out. However, there will be a little exercise icon at the top indicating its recording.

Another tip: I use the auto pause setting on the phone. My AW does not do auto pause, so if you stop to take a break or talk to someone, your pace time will go up, but the watch will auto pause on its own. Cool feature.
    04-16-2016 01:26 AM
    FYI runtastic and other apps have problems with HF since watchOS 2.2. runtastic for example stops working completly after a few minutes. Runtastic offers a new update (6.8) yesterday and i hope they fixed the problem.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    04-16-2016 07:38 AM
    FYI runtastic and other apps have problems with HF since watchOS 2.2. runtastic for example stops working completly after a few minutes. Runtastic offers a new update (6.8) yesterday and i hope they fixed the problem.
    What is HF?
    04-16-2016 09:39 AM
    This morning, I took advantage of the abundant sunshine and tested out several Watch running apps, running one mile per app (with one exception - Strava was twice). Just for comparison, I brought my aging-but-still-functioning Microsoft Band 1 along, since it has built-in GPS.

The apps I tested, in order:
    Apple Activity app - The app opened, began the run, ended the run, and saved the stats, all very quickly. The pace and distance were just about spot on with my Band. While it might have a simpler interface than the other apps, it works very well.
    Strava (first time) - This was an absolute cluster because I opened the app on the Watch and not on my iPhone (more on that later). As a result, the app did not give me real-time tracking and had a lot of trouble finishing and saving my stats.
    Runkeeper - I was very pleasantly surprised at how fast this app grabbed location and other info from my iPhone. There was next to no lag time, and it measured a mile at about the exact time my Band did.
    Runtastic - Ah, the app that began this thread in the first place. I decided to give it another shot, and it seemed to work better this time. While I still had a little trouble stopping and finishing the workout (I think it's a matter of improving the UI), I was satisfied with the app.
    Strava (second time) - After my first disaster with the app, I decided to open it in my phone and then switch to the Watch. I initially received an error message on the Watch stating that another workout was in progress, but they eventually synced, and I was on my way. While this was a better experience, Strava still had some lag between the Watch and the phone, and noticeably more than Runkeeper and Runtastic had. The stats were pretty accurate, but I find it ridiculous that I have to start the app on my phone in order to get it to work properly. Needless to say, I don't foresee using this app too often, unless Strava improves it.
    Map My Run - I'd been using Map My Run for the longest time, and even though they don't yet have a native app, I figured I'd try out their Watch app just for kicks. It's about what you'd expect from a non-native app: very simple and not much data, but fine if all you want is pace and distance.

I'll try to answer any questions that folks have about any of the apps.

My order of prefererence: Runkeeper, Apple Activity, Runtastic, Map My Run, and Strava (due to having to start the app from my phone).

Now that Under Armour owns Map My Run and Endomondo, I imagine they are both are working on their own native apps. I hope so because I'd love a Map My Run native app.
    eyecrispy and Lefty724 like this.
    04-16-2016 01:56 PM
    This morning, I took advantage of the abundant sunshine and tested out several Watch running apps, running one mile per app (with one exception - Strava was twice). Just for comparison, I brought my aging-but-still-functioning Microsoft Band 1 along, since it has built-in GPS.

The apps I tested, in order:
    Apple Activity app - The app opened, began the run, ended the run, and saved the stats, all very quickly. The pace and distance were just about spot on with my Band. While it might have a simpler interface than the other apps, it works very well.
    Strava (first time) - This was an absolute cluster because I opened the app on the Watch and not on my iPhone (more on that later). As a result, the app did not give me real-time tracking and had a lot of trouble finishing and saving my stats.
    Runkeeper - I was very pleasantly surprised at how fast this app grabbed location and other info from my iPhone. There was next to no lag time, and it measured a mile at about the exact time my Band did.
    Runtastic - Ah, the app that began this thread in the first place. I decided to give it another shot, and it seemed to work better this time. While I still had a little trouble stopping and finishing the workout (I think it's a matter of improving the UI), I was satisfied with the app.
    Strava (second time) - After my first disaster with the app, I decided to open it in my phone and then switch to the Watch. I initially received an error message on the Watch stating that another workout was in progress, but they eventually synced, and I was on my way. While this was a better experience, Strava still had some lag between the Watch and the phone, and noticeably more than Runkeeper and Runtastic had. The stats were pretty accurate, but I find it ridiculous that I have to start the app on my phone in order to get it to work properly. Needless to say, I don't foresee using this app too often, unless Strava improves it.
    Map My Run - I'd been using Map My Run for the longest time, and even though they don't yet have a native app, I figured I'd try out their Watch app just for kicks. It's about what you'd expect from a non-native app: very simple and not much data, but fine if all you want is pace and distance.

I'll try to answer any questions that folks have about any of the apps.

My order of prefererence: Runkeeper, Apple Activity, Runtastic, Map My Run, and Strava (due to having to start the app from my phone).

Now that Under Armour owns Map My Run and Endomondo, I imagine they are both are working on their own native apps. I hope so because I'd love a Map My Run native app.
    Thanks!

I would stick with RK if it hasn't crashed on me multiple times during my race last Sunday. I agree that Strava should make their app work the same way if launched from AW. The thing I don't like about the native workout app is that you don't get a map of your route for outdoor runs. And no social integration.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    04-16-2016 02:04 PM
    Thanks!

I would stick with RK if it hasn't crashed on me multiple times during my race last Sunday. I agree that Strava should make their app work the same way if launched from AW. The thing I don't like about the native workout app is that you don't get a map of your route for outdoor runs. And no social integration.
    Same here. I really want to like RK, but each version has crashed on me during runs so I'm reluctant to try updates until I see feedback. Plus, they refuse to add the capability to modify the fields you see on the watch to include both average & current pace, etc. people have been asking for that since the watch launched.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    04-16-2016 04:57 PM
    For now RK is out for me. Strava stays until it lets me down. I'll also try Endomondo and Nike Plus at some point.
    04-16-2016 11:00 PM
    Word of warning about RunKeeper. Ran a marathon relay yesterday and thought I'd use RK with my AW to track the run. Regret it 110%.
    I did a 1/2 Marathon today, and I used Runkeeper, and to my disappointed it largely failed. As I tried to keep track of what was going on, it appeared to going as the time seemed to be progressing, yet when I looked further (after the race), I saw that it only captured the last 6 miles. Before that it seemed to turn on and off (or pause if you will) on and off, for much of my prior run.

I'm really disappointed in that, as I felt it was a solid app, but with autopause off, there's no reason for it to stop working.

I have since removed the app from my phone.
    04-17-2016 06:19 PM
    I did a 1/2 Marathon today, and I used Runkeeper, and to my disappointed it largely failed. As I tried to keep track of what was going on, it appeared to going as the time seemed to be progressing, yet when I looked further (after the race), I saw that it only captured the last 6 miles. Before that it seemed to turn on and off (or pause if you will) on and off, for much of my prior run.

I'm really disappointed in that, as I felt it was a solid app, but with autopause off, there's no reason for it to stop working.

I have since removed the app from my phone.
    I've experienced this on multiple runs, including my race last Sunday. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I hope they fix it. Sounds like they're gonna lose some devoted users.
    04-17-2016 08:23 PM
    Sorry it didn't work out for you. I hope they fix it. Sounds like they're gonna lose some devoted users.
    Thanks, the awkward part, I know someone who works there. I'll have to mention to her the issues. As I said though, based on what you experienced and this one time - I deleted the app. I'll find another running app.
    04-18-2016 06:47 AM
    Thanks, the awkward part, I know someone who works there. I'll have to mention to her the issues. As I said though, based on what you experienced and this one time - I deleted the app. I'll find another running app.
    Nice to have connections. I would definitely give her that feedback.
    04-19-2016 02:09 PM
    Runtastic updated the Watch app pause/stop controls, and the app works MUCH better now. I used it for an 8 mile run today and had absolutely no problems. The lag seems improved, too - very quick to pick up distance and pace. I'm definitely using this over Runkeeper from this point forward.
    04-24-2016 12:53 PM
    Runtastic updated the Watch app pause/stop controls, and the app works MUCH better now. I used it for an 8 mile run today and had absolutely no problems. The lag seems improved, too - very quick to pick up distance and pace. I'm definitely using this over Runkeeper from this point forward.
    How does it compare to the built in workout app?
    05-01-2016 01:54 PM

-Athletes can follow you

So I had an epic fail with Strava this morning. Been using for my outdoor runs the last few weeks and it has been just fine. I really thought that would be my go to running app on the AW ... Until this morning.

I started the run from my iPhone as suggested. When I went to Strava on the AW, it said failed to load (kept spinning and spinning and spinning) and wanted me to be sure Bluetooth was turned on (which it was). I tried several times with no success. Then I rebooted the AW and got the same thing. I ended up just killing it and using the Apple outdoor run feature in the workout app. So disappointing.

I ended up running with Strava on my phone but couldn't see stats from the AW. Boo.

I may try Endomondo or Nike tomorrow morning.
    05-06-2016 11:54 AM
    Weird. I've never had any problems with the Apple watch and Strava.

Hopefully it all works out for you. Good luck.
    05-06-2016 01:23 PM
    Weird. I've never had any problems with the Apple watch and Strava.

Hopefully it all works out for you. Good luck.

Here's the error I kept getting over and over this morning. There were no prompts on my iPhone

05-06-2016 05:49 PM
    I've gotten that once or twice before. It's only when I forget to turn on the Bluetooth on my phone....for the watch.
    05-06-2016 08:48 PM
73 123