Apple Watch: Automate my life!

andrwstw

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I have loved spending the past seven months figuring out how the Apple Watch improves my workflow and daily activities. I use it for voice recording, managing my to-dos, capturing my movement and tracking my fitness, and keeping me on schedule. What I've found over this time is that the most useful features of the Apple Watch are the ones that automate my life.

For example, the app "Mac ID" has been an incredible help to me. This app logs you into your Mac using TouchID on the phone, but it also sends "Unlock" notifications to the Apple Watch. I can just tap on the notification, and I am immediately logged into my computers. I have recently turned on "Proximity wake and unlock," so when I approach my computer, it automatically wakes it and logs me in without touching anything. In the time it takes for me to sit down, my computer is ready for me to use, and when I walk away, it is automatically locked and secure in my workplace, or in coffee shops.

I wish the Apple Watch becomes a device that automates many aspects of my life. For example, it would be awesome to automatically turn on lights, start my car, handoff documents or other things I'm working on, unlock my door, or many other things I do everyday. Although directly manipulating my environment by tapping or speaking to my watch are helpful and probably the best option in lots of cases (because of security reasons or for having more control over what happens in my environment), I see the automatic features as an essential direction for future Apple Watches. The phone could do this too, but wearing the Apple Watch helps to authenticate many of these tasks without using TouchID on the iPhone.

I'm curious about if others share this view. Also, what other things would be excellent for the Apple Watch to automate? Using the Apple Watch as a sensor that is context aware and does things automatically for me is an exciting future direction, in my opinion.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Mac ID lately as well but need to tweak it as its a shared computer. When I get my MBP I will take more advantage.

I use reminders and calendar a lot, and Waterminder to stay hydrated. Weather at a glance is great too.

Sometimes I send dumb pictures to @devilishbanker.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Count me in among those who have found the Watch to be a tremendous asset in my day to day life.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've enjoyed my Apple Watch as well. I resisted getting it use to battery life and price, but am glad I finally took the plunge. Now my Pebble and Pebble Time have been sitting sadly in my drawer waiting for someone to love them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods