Crappy Resale

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So with the resale values of the Watch not being where I thought they would be IMO. Does this influence anyone's decision to buy the current model or even have reservations about possibly buying Gen 2?

I'm so used to  products holding their value really well so it was a shock to see how quickly the resale value plummeted for the watch.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Looking at eBay listings for 42mm Stainless Steel Apple Watches, they seem to be going for around $400 or more depending on condition. A few are going for less but they're generally pretty worn. Doesn't seem too bad to me!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So with the resale values of the Watch not being where I thought they would be IMO. Does this influence anyone's decision to buy the current model or even have reservations about possibly buying Gen 2?

I'm so used to  products holding their value really well so it was a shock to see how quickly the resale value plummeted for the watch.

It has no effect on my decision at all. I buy things like this because I want it, and not because of what I may get if I decide to sell. Besides, I often give my previous devices to my kids. If I opt to get the next generation Watch, I'll more than likely give away my current Watch to a family member or something.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't deter my decision on getting the second generation Apple Watch. I still have plans to purchase one mid summer or when it's actually released.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Nah. If I want it, I'll buy it. I don't buy it for resale value, but it is a nice side benefit.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree the resale value has dropped faster and more than I anticipated; however, have you looked at the resale on Android smart watches and the like? In comparison the AW is still holding up in value.

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
It seems like the market value for the 42mm SS is $400 now, and I assume it will drop a bit once v2 is released (in the fall?). I'm assuming all of the $100 discounts the past couple of months accelerated the drop in resale.

If I jump back in with v2, I'll likely opt for the Sport instead of the SS. Part of it is resale, and part is that the outdoor screen visibility is better with the Sport than the SS.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Would not change my decision at all. I purchase  products because I need them. I also do not sell my devices when I am done with them. I always donate them to women's shelters where they really need them. So I never recover any money back.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Would not change my decision at all. I purchase  products because I need them. I also do not sell my devices when I am done with them. I always donate them to women's shelters where they really need them. So I never recover any money back.

That's really generous of you. Did not even realize I could do that.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
That's really generous of you. Did not even realize I could do that.

I think it is one of the greatest things. These women can use all the help they can get. They set them up, then use them for training & upgrading skills so the women can get back into the workforce.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
It won't influence my decision to buy the next Apple Watch as I buy products to use them not to make money off them. I got a sports watch at launch. In August I bought a SS watch and sold my sports. At launch I paid ?300 for my sports and got ?150 for it 3.5 months later. I didn't care too much as at least I was able to recoup some of the money I paid for the SS.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
It won't influence my decision to buy the next Apple Watch as I buy products to use them not to make money off them. I got a sports watch at launch. In August I bought a SS watch and sold my sports. At launch I paid ?300 for my sports and got ?150 for it 3.5 months later. I didn't care too much as at least I was able to recoup some of the money I paid for the SS.

I did the same thing. Got a SBSS with link off eBay and got $300 for my 42mm sport.

For me personally it still wouldn't keep me from purchasing an Watch but since I'm so used to most  products holding their value so well just to see how the watch dropped off and getting such low ball offers my self when trying to sell my SG sport was discouraging. I'm very happy with my SS though! when the new one comes out I'll try to see how much I can get for this to put towards the new.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Gazelle is planning to start buying them back, as well, which makes it a lot more appealing to me.

dasupaman23

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
The resale doesn't bother me. It is actually making it more tempting to get another model so I can switch between watch cases. Currently using the SG Sport but would like to try the Gold Sport as well

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox