Battery draining fast all of a sudden

daytoman

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
The first few weeks I had my watch the battery power was fine. At the end of the day I usually had 20% left. I used it on a ski trip to control my Strava app and GoPro app and still had plenty of battery left.

Now over the past few days, I'm down to 10% before 4pm.

The only strange thing I've noticed is that the fitness app seems to be overworking. This morning I put my watch on, dropped my kid at school then drove to work. The fitness app showed I did 45 mins of workout.

This has been the case over the last few days and it seems to coincide with the rapid loss of battery power.

Fitness app had always shown more realistic read outs prior to the last few days.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Happened to me fairly recently but the drain didn't seem to be quite dramatic. I tried a couple of reboots which didn't help so I ended up wiping it and re pairing to the phone which did the trick.

Kind of a pain but it resolved the issue.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The first few weeks I had my watch the battery power was fine. At the end of the day I usually had 20% left. I used it on a ski trip to control my Strava app and GoPro app and still had plenty of battery left.

Now over the past few days, I'm down to 10% before 4pm.

The only strange thing I've noticed is that the fitness app seems to be overworking. This morning I put my watch on, dropped my kid at school then drove to work. The fitness app showed I did 45 mins of workout.

This has been the case over the last few days and it seems to coincide with the rapid loss of battery power.

Fitness app had always shown more realistic read outs prior to the last few days.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
It's been my experience that re-pairing with your phone solves the fitness issues. I use the developer betas so I update watchOS more often and I've experienced issues like this. Re-pairing usually solved this problem. I know it's a pain but it may be the cure.

daytoman

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
It's been my experience that re-pairing with your phone solves the fitness issues. I use the developer betas so I update watchOS more often and I've experienced issues like this. Re-pairing usually solved this problem. I know it's a pain but it may be the cure.

Thanks.
Ok yeah I unpaired and repaired this morning right after a made this post. No help. It's down to 22% now. I do see the little green running man at the top of my watch face. I guess that means the workout app is running. Which I knows drains power. How do I turn that off?

daytoman

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks!
I did unpair and repair this morning after I made this post. No help. It's down to 22%.

I noticed the little green running man at the top of my watch face. I think that's the workout app and I know it drains the battery.

How do I turn it off?

Also that fitness app just isn't right.
It's working too much.
It's showing me burning 1231 cals
With 290 mins of exercise and 6 hours of standing. Lol I have NOT done that.

Any ideas?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!
I did unpair and repair this morning after I made this post. No help. It's down to 22%.

I noticed the little green running man at the top of my watch face. I think that's the workout app and I know it drains the battery.

How do I turn it off?

Also that fitness app just isn't right.
It's working too much.
It's showing me burning 1231 cals
With 290 mins of exercise and 6 hours of standing. Lol I have NOT done that.

Any ideas?

Is your fitness app tracking workouts automatically? I didn't even realize it would do that. I always manually start a workout (i.e., running) and then end it when I'm done.

daytoman

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Yeah it's starting up in the morning when I put the watch on. I have to start a workout manually then manually end the workout and then the running man goes away. If I scroll to the fitness app on the watch, the running man shows back up and then I have to repeat those steps and it goes away.

Last night I deactivated Strava (cycling/running app) from collecting data in my health app on my phone.
Then this morning I got rid of the running man, which seemed to start a workout automatically, and my watch battery life is back to normal. It's been on for 7 hours and I've taken a few calls and sent some texts from it. Power is at 79%

So I've got to get to the bottom of the fitness/workout apps running.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Is your fitness app tracking workouts automatically? I didn't even realize it would do that. I always manually start a workout (i.e., running) and then end it when I'm done.

Yeah, you are supposed to have to start the workout app manually. I've never had it start a workout on it's on, now the activity rings do start automatically.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's starting up in the morning when I put the watch on. I have to start a workout manually then manually end the workout and then the running man goes away. If I scroll to the fitness app on the watch, the running man shows back up and then I have to repeat those steps and it goes away.

Last night I deactivated Strava (cycling/running app) from collecting data in my health app on my phone.
Then this morning I got rid of the running man, which seemed to start a workout automatically, and my watch battery life is back to normal. It's been on for 7 hours and I've taken a few calls and sent some texts from it. Power is at 79%

So I've got to get to the bottom of the fitness/workout apps running.

I've never used it myself but it sounds like Strava may have been your problem.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you are supposed to have to start the workout app manually. I've never had it start a workout on it's on, now the activity rings do start automatically.

Ok that's what I thought. I couldn't find anywhere that had a setting to auto detect workouts. I think Strava is the culprit.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Good call. Whenever the Workout app is running, it takes your pulse every 10 seconds to determine if your heart rate is above the threshold to count as an Active calorie, which burns through battery use rapidly. To kill the Workout app, press the Digital Crown, select the Workout app, determine which workout routine is running, and end it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2