Apple Watch as a fitness band?

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
^^ I've been rocking a Fitbit One for the last couple of years. I agree that pretty much every design Fitbit puts out is just plain ugly!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
^^ I've been rocking a Fitbit One for the last couple of years. I agree that pretty much every design Fitbit puts out is just plain ugly!

Lol. Their new one looks a lot nicer. And the Fitbit One is fine. But that Surge is just atrocious. That said, a lot of the fitness devices are unattractive.

duncanator

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your input! I had the first MS Band and just could not get used to the terribly uncomfortable form factor. It was good for tracking workouts and pretty reliable for notifications. Battery was a big issue back then as well. Surprised they haven't addressed it. I've been out on numerous outdoor runs when my MS Band should have been fine on battery and it would suddenly tell me to it was low and I needed to plug in right away to avoid losing data and I'd have to high tail it back home.

Apple Watch has been ok tracking workouts, but they need to support more than cardio workouts (ie, weight lifting). I've been using the "Other" category for a lot of my Insanity workouts. It seems to be tracking just fine. Would be nice if I could go in and edit the workout name from Other to something more specific after the fact. I am pretty sure the MS Band let me do that.

Yeah, I have an MS Band 1 and it is more of a handcuff than anything else. The Band 2 was much better and actually was able to track weightlifting (a selected option), but the problem I had with my 2 Band 2's was not battery life, but with the actual battery dying and have no power once off the charger. I've done some searching and I've discovered that it is a problem with the actual battery. Because of that, I'm not going to try a third Band 2.

I too have been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 235 but I realize that I worked out for a decade without a fitness watch and I might not really need one. My body tells me when I did a good workout and when I look at the data, I don't really do much with it. Because of this, I might just get an Apple Watch again to use it for messages and phone call notifications. I know there is speculation that a new AW might be coming soon, but my issues are more related to the software and not hardware. I don't run outside so no GPS is not a problem for me.

One more thing, MS updated their Health app today which provides a GPS power save mode which will give you longer battery life when on longer runs and bike rides.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I recently connected Endomondo to the Health app, and now the activities that I record in Endomondo directly populate the Health app Dashboard (Endomondo needs to be set as an app in Heath\Sources, and Endomondo needs to connect to Health in the Connect & Share setting).

Looks fairly accurate. Went for a 6.09 mile MTB ride this morning, and can now see that same distance along with a spike in Active Energy in the Health app Dashboard.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR