Hi guys,

I bought myself an Apple Watch Sport and I am just wondering how the activity / fitness app would work at the gym.
    For example if I was doing a cycle on a stationary bike ? Or cross trainer. Does it still track distance / activity etc ?

Thanks
    Steve
    01-14-2016 07:37 AM
    Not sure because I don't use the stationary bike for fitness, but when I run in a treadmill, it can track the distance, but it's a tad inaccurate on occasions.
    01-14-2016 07:46 AM
    You tell it the type of exercise you're doing via the Workout app, then it uses a specific algorithm to track your distance, time, heart rate and calories burned.
    01-14-2016 11:52 AM
    If, like me you're a walker (I do 5 miles 7 days/wk at my gym on indoor track) you just do an outdoor walk for at least 20 minutes accompanied by your phone and it will use the phones GPS to calibrate your stride. I've found it to be quite accurate.
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    01-14-2016 01:21 PM
    I use my watch for spin. Not very accurate for distance at all. My bike said I did 15 miles, watch said 2 miles. A heart rate strap is muc more accurate than the watch
    01-14-2016 01:25 PM
    I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate for spinning, really now way to measure anything unless perhaps strapped to your ankle lol. As to the heart, yeah, I'd expect a strap would be more accurate.
    01-14-2016 05:38 PM
    If, like me you're a walker (I do 5 miles 7 days/wk at my gym on indoor track) you just do an outdoor walk for at least 20 minutes accompanied by your phone and it will use the phones GPS to calibrate your stride. I've found it to be quite accurate.
    Yes, i've found this to be the case too.
    01-14-2016 06:03 PM
    Will the aw calibrate itself w the phone automatically or do I need to tell it to do this? When I run I without my phone using my aw, I find it be fairly accurate considering it does not use GPS.
    01-17-2016 11:23 PM
    I did several indoor walks and was surprised how accurate it was. About 30m diff in 5km. Then I did some outdoor walks which use the phone gps so we're accurate. But after this, the next couple of indoor walks were inaccurate. Since then, the more indoor walks I do, the closer the distance match. So it must be gradually recalibrating the distance. Overall I am extremely happy with the accuracy but am confused why the walks outdoor didn't help the indoor calibration.
    01-18-2016 07:23 AM
    Will the aw calibrate itself w the phone automatically or do I need to tell it to do this? When I run I without my phone using my aw, I find it be fairly accurate considering it does not use GPS.
    It's automatic, as long as you save the outdoor walk rather than delete it.
    NinerJet9 likes this.
    01-18-2016 08:50 AM
    oops, double post
    01-18-2016 08:50 AM
    It's automatic, as long as you save the outdoor walk rather than delete it.
    Okay cool. I've been already doing it that, so that's pro yet it already seems to be reasonably accurate.
    01-18-2016 06:56 PM