What would it take to make you upgrade?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought my SS around Halloween and thinking it would take a lot to get me to feel compelled to upgrade (assuming the new one is released in March)
What would it take for you to upgrade?

Please include when you got your Apple Watch and what model you have.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
For me, I got the 42mm SS -- so I spent $600. It would be 6 months from when I got it, so it would have to be a big deal. I think I have everything I want in it though it could be a bit faster. But is it $600 faster is the question!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
For me it would take a lot more than an incremental upgrade. I'd have to see some major differences in design and functionality, more so than simply adding more health sensors. The Apple Watch is more than just a device. If the rumor mill holds true, I'll probably hold off on the next model.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I received my Watch Sport (42mm) in May 2015 and I've been wearing it EVERY DAY since and I'm still enjoying it. I didn't have any illusions about what it was and how I would use it, however, I underestimated how much I'd come to rely on it. Anyway, when the Watch 2 gets released, I don't see myself upgrading to it because the current Watch fits my need. With that in mind, it'll take a good deal of features to make me upgrade.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
42mm Sport, October (?) I bought it with 6s+ as I was on a Note 3 before that.

Probably something I couldn't conceive of right now. I am 100% happy with what the watch can do. A few things, like more apps or watch faces, is really something that will come with time I imagine. I would like Apple to open it up and allow third party faces to be downloaded from the App Store.

If Apple released a round watch face I would consider an upgrade. I don't care for the square face.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
A few things, like more apps or watch faces, is really something that will come with time I imagine.
Watch faces is a good point... I'm hoping that's something that can be updated with software. Can't see anyone paying extra for watch faces! Except maybe @DarlaMack -- she loves that Hermes watchface! :)

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Watch faces is a good point... I'm hoping that's something that can be updated with software. Can't see anyone paying extra for watch faces! Except maybe @DarlaMack -- she loves that Hermes watchface! :)

Watch faces are nothing more than software. The inherent question isn't whether or not more watch faces can be done, it's whether or not Apple gives us the ability to access them on our gen 1 watches. I wouldn't pay a bunch of money for a new watch just for a few more faces like @DarlaMack would, but I'd pay a couple of bucks for a nice watch face for my current watch.
I don't think Apple will hang is out to dry. Our watches are less than a year old at this point. I still question whether or not there will actually be a new watch in 2016 and, if there is, I don't think we'll see sweeping changes from the 1st gen. I'm thinking it will be more like an Apple Watch 1s, even if that's not what they call it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know that I 100% agree that it's software only. I'm sure they can come up with something that needs a particular sensor or an upgraded processor. Not that it will happen .... But I kind of expect an "exclusive" to the new one in there somewhere.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't one of the lucky few on here who got an Apple Watch given to them at the beginning so I had to wait to Christmas before I got my Gold AWS.

Would I upgrade by spending my own money? No.

I'm not sure what it would take for me to upgrade but it would need to be a major improvement over the original.

I'm a fan of round watches, so maybe if they decided to go down that route it would be of more interest but unless the watch did something fundamentally better than the current iteration, that would not be enough alone for me to upgrade.

clickitykeys

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have a year-old Pebble Steel that works reasonably well with my 6S Plus.

I won't upgrade to the Apple Watch until it gives me at least 7 days of battery life. A health tracker is useless if the damn watch dies every couple of days.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a year-old Pebble Steel that works reasonably well with my 6S Plus.

I won't upgrade to the Apple Watch until it gives me at least 7 days of battery life. A health tracker is useless if the damn watch dies every couple of days.

Charge it each night when you go to bed. Never wore my pebble while sleeping anyway.
Besides this thread is for those who have the first Apple Watch and what would make them upgrade :)

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of surprised that increased water resistance hasn't been mentioned yet. We go to the beach at least a few times a year and I'm not looking foward to leaving my Apple Watch behind. It's not that I can't be without it but it would be nice to be able to get my notifications without having to bring out my iPhone when we're swimming.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of surprised that increased water resistance hasn't been mentioned yet. We go to the beach at least a few times a year and I'm not looking foward to leaving my Apple Watch behind. It's not that I can't be without it but it would be nice to be able to get my notifications without having to bring out my iPhone when we're swimming.

You wouldn't get the notifications if you're out of Bluetooth range unless your beach has wifi.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You and your jokes! I have two kids so I usually just tuck it away in one of the 11 bags or containers we bring with us.

It's an old Seinfeld bit*. But I hear you about the bags. We can go somewhere for a weekend and the whole back of the Pilot is packed.

Extra water resistance would be good, but have to watch thickness. At the beach I would be more worried about sand!

*JERRY: People are going to steal from you. You can't stop them. But, everybody has their own little personal security things - things that they think will foil the crooks, you know? In your own mind, right? ..You go to the beach, go in the water, put your wallet in the sneaker. Who's gonna know? What criminal mind could penetrate this fortress of security? I tied a bow. They can't get through that. I put the wallet down by the toe of the sneaker. They never look there. They check the heel, they move on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR