Do you regret getting aluminum instead of stainless Apple Watch?

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've decide to pick up an Apple Watch but now I need to decide if i should go stainless or aluminum. I like the idea of having a light watch (aluminum) but I like the durability of the stainless and sapphire glass. I will be using this all occasions of exercise (cycling/running/gym) and for work attire. I would also consider using a Spigen light armor case w it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I really wanted the SS and when it came time to buy I thought I would just get a sport and save the $200. wanted the silver for the band compatibility but didn't like the look so got space grey. The whole time I kept thinking I short changed myself and was never completely happy with my $400 purchase.

Within a week I was back at the Apple Store exchanging for the SS.

Get what you want if you can afford it. If you think you want the SS and need to save a bit more then do it. If you're going to spend the money you should be happy with it.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my space grey sport. The fact that they all do the same thing was really the decider for me, and also that I only recently got mine I didn't want to splash more cash when it'll be replaced in the not too distant future.

Maybe when the next one comes out I'll get onboard sooner and spend a little more.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Same specs just different case and that case is not worth the extra premium to me. The aluminum feels good on my wrist and still looks good.

The bands that come with the Sport suck though and buying the SS bands individually are still super expensive. I think the one I wanted (the link band) is still like $400 alone. Time for a third party band methinks.

Neeraj Bedi

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
they both have their own benifits so stainless or aluminum buy what you like not go for people advises just buy what u like then if you regret something you can change it later

andrwstw

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I like the look of the space gray aluminum better than the space black stainless steel, but I like the look of the silver stainless steel better than the silver aluminum. I bought the space gray sport and don't regret it at all.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies. I ended getting a new space black AW in SS. I was open to getting a space gray AW aluminum but it was within $125 of what I paid for the SS so it was a good compromise in cost. Jazzed and excited for it to arrive.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies. I ended getting a new space black AW in SS. I was open to getting a space gray AW aluminum but it was within $125 of what I paid for the SS so it was a good compromise in cost. Jazzed and excited for it to arrive.

Nice! Congrats on your purchase. Let us know what you think.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Congrats, enjoy.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Awesome! Glad you were able to get what you wanted :) enjoy the watch -- I know I enjoy mine!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope! I don't have any regrets about it at all about getting the aluminum model instead of the stainless steel version.

MCube74

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
The main reason why I got the Stainless Steel model is because I want my watch to look like a watch and not a toy.

The regular aluminum watch looks very much like a toy.

I decided to wear my watch everywhere so I might as well get a better one and be happy with what I am using. It has to look good or else I start to get uncomfortable.

That is just me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The main reason why I got the Stainless Steel model is because I want my watch to look like a watch and not a toy.

The regular aluminum watch looks very much like a toy.

I decided to wear my watch everywhere so I might as well get a better one and be happy with what I am using. It has to look good or else I start to get uncomfortable.

That is just me.

I'm sure some people see it the way you do, fortunately, I haven't run into people who thought that way. Everyone who has commented on my watch, and there's been a lot, have all been in awe of it and sought questions about its abilities, but that's Just Me, D...:)

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a slightly different approach.

I tend to look at buying Apple products in terms of resale value. While the SS models can justify the price tag just in materials used, a year or two down the road when I sell it off to buy a new one, nobody is going to care what model it is when they attempt to buy it from me. They will look at the cheapest prices they can find and base their offers on that.

Also, I never go all in on a 1st gen Apple product. The 2nd gen is usually quite a bit better.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site

I tend to look at buying Apple products in terms of resale value. While the SS models can justify the price tag just in materials used, a year or two down the road when I sell it off to buy a new one, nobody is going to care what model it is when they attempt to buy it from me. They will look at the cheapest prices they can find and base their offers on that.

Also, I never go all in on a 1st gen Apple product. The 2nd gen is usually quite a bit better.

I have to say that my reasons for going for the aluminum model almost mirror this. That, and the fact that I'm a "watch guy" having 7-8 other fairly pricey (and very pricey) watches in my clutch, that I wear daily...and I don't want to invest $600+ in a premium device I might not like at all or see a great need for. If I come to really like the cheaper Gen-1 offering...I'll have no issue stepping up to the higher-end model when the upgraded model hits.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Those are good points... I really was set to get the aluminum, really didn't want to spend extra for the SS (although I do like the truer black of the SB SS), but I just couldn't get over wanting the extra scratch resistance of the sapphire. I've had a few traditional watches with sapphire crystals and some without, and for me it's makes a difference.

Having said that, and having just gotten my SB SS a week ago, I'm sure I'll be reeling when the Watch 2 comes out. Part of me hopes Apple eases off on the 1 year product cycle for the Watch products, and goes on more of an Apple TV type timeline.

Depending on when Apple releases the next gen Watch, I may do the opposite and go aluminum next time if Apple ends up doing a yearly product cycle on it. Therein lies the flaw in smartwatches... they aren't exactly as timeless as traditional watches (especially mechanical ones).

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Not sure that's the case. People buying new aren't all going for the cheapest, so not sure they would do that used particularly if one material holds up better than the other (better condition). If they want stainless that's what they'll buy.

Now I say that as a consumer, not someone who sells off items from my Apple graveyard ;)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If I had gotten silver aluminum, then yes because it looks cheap. But since I got space gray, no I'm good mostly. Just maybe a little regret I didn't get space black now that they offer it with a cheaper band and not just the link.