Do you regret getting aluminum instead of stainless Apple Watch?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In a couple of weeks, I will have had my Watch Sport for exactly 1 year, and I still don't have any regrets about getting the silver aluminum version. If my watch ever craps out on me, I will immediately go out and buy the same silver aluminum model. It looks awesome with the black sport band, in my opinion.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Knowing that they are there and not seeing them? I don't see any in day to day use but if I pull it close and look for them, there are some light/faint marks.

Mostly that if I do notice them, I suppose if they're not noticable, I'd not be worked up over it. I've had watches, in the past that got fairly scuffed up over the course of time and that was not something I wanted to deal with on the AW.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I went with the space gray 42mm aluminum and saved $200. I also bought a Spigen Rugged Armor case. It does add a little bulk but when I had my Android watch I always hit the edges on walls and door frames:

spigen_case.jpg

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Not at all. I think my matte gold Sport looks far better than any of the Stainless Steel ones. I was going to get a Stainless Steel Watch but then the Gold came out and I was sold. Now it matches my iPhone. What's not to like?

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Love my SG aluminum. Got the 42mm because I love big watches so the aluminum being lighter is a plus. I really never used the sport band because the outward curve of the band doesn't allow a close enough fit around my wrist. I immediately got a band similar to the modern buckle and finally found a leather cuff style. :)

Then of course, later they came out with the Hermes Apple Watch with a cuff band, lol.

I'm not particularly careful when wearing the watch and there are no scratches on it so the durability is the same to me.

View attachment 105143

How did you do this?

Btw you can probably buy the Hermes cuff band separately. From what I gather they are gonna start selling the bands singly starting the 19th. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I have the silver aluminum case and it's just fine for me. I usually have a case on it though, so you just see whatever color I'm using. I think the SS is pretty - nice and shiny - but I didn't want to spend the extra money yet. Maybe when the next one comes out..........:)

With Best Buy having this deal, I bought an SS today...

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I have the space gray sport and it looks sharp, yeah, some days I think about the SS model, but in the end, the scratches that seem to occur on the SS, would bother me. I don't think I'd be successful in buffing them out.

Given my usage, I'm happy with the space gray sport :D

Same here. I am actually still within my return window on my space grey sport and could swap it for the SS but I am not going to.

I actually like the aluminum look and like you say those scratches would drive me nuts and I'd probably fail miserably at buffing them out.

I've also heard the glass on the SS version has a lot more glare. I know it's more resistant to scratching, but I have a screen protector on my sport so it's not an issue for me.

doc16mom

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I have both the SS and a rose gold sport and I find no difference in direct sunlight. I have never had trouble reading my watch in full light. Can't say that with my iPhone.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Curious, how do you all find both watches, when out in sunlight?

I read that that the quartz display is not as bright as the glass so it may be harder to see in the bright sunlight. I had a little trouble in the bright Florida sunlight seeing my watch. I was able to make out the time, temp and other complications but overall it was hard to see.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I read that that the quartz display is not as bright as the glass so it may be harder to see in the bright sunlight. I had a little trouble in the bright Florida sunlight seeing my watch. I was able to make out the time, temp and other complications but overall it was hard to see.

at the Nationals game Sunday, I had to cup my hand around to see the screen. Easy enough, but I had a free hand. It was very sunny, and a hair past mid-day so sun was directly overhead. Not sure if the same would happen with the Sport (I have the SS)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
at the Nationals game Sunday, I had to cup my hand around to see the screen. Easy enough, but I had a free hand. It was very sunny, and a hair past mid-day so sun was directly overhead. Not sure if the same would happen with the Sport (I have the SS)

First world problems.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR