Do you regret getting aluminum instead of stainless Apple Watch?

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a slightly different approach.

I tend to look at buying Apple products in terms of resale value. While the SS models can justify the price tag just in materials used, a year or two down the road when I sell it off to buy a new one, nobody is going to care what model it is when they attempt to buy it from me. They will look at the cheapest prices they can find and base their offers on that.

Also, I never go all in on a 1st gen Apple product. The 2nd gen is usually quite a bit better.

The potential for the watch to be outdated leaves me hesitant to buy the nicer quality case/band as well. If I spend $100 on a nice "dumb watch" it is good for years. $400 for the basic Apple Watch OTOH and where will we be at in 2 years?

Don't get me wrong it is a great device with lots of cool features but I'm not ready to spend on it as I would on jewelry.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well in way is it really any worse than a "dumb" digital watch with a few features but basically not upgradable hardware- NOT software-wise?

It's only a problem because humans want (need?) to get the newest/latest thing when it becomes available. It's become the norm in the digital age - and I think mostly driven by software really. Old hardware/old software, not so much an issue (besides being "old"). Old hardware/new software - that's where it starts to fall apart.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The potential for the watch to be outdated leaves me hesitant to buy the nicer quality case/band as well. If I spend $100 on a nice "dumb watch" it is good for years. $400 for the basic Apple Watch OTOH and where will we be at in 2 years?

Don't get me wrong it is a great device with lots of cool features but I'm not ready to spend on it as I would on jewelry.

But see, I don't view the Watch as jewelry, and I never have. It is an extension of my iPhone in the form of a watch. If something were to happen to my current Watch, I would immediately replace it with the same model I have now without hesitation. Spending the extra cash for the SS versions is impractical to me with an emphasis on "to ME".

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you 100%. I would definitely replace mine if lost. But the SS (and the gold!) makes me hesitant in a way that a Rolex or something wouldn't. That gold and diamond wristwatch will still be doing the same thing in 10-15 years.

I can't imagine I'll still be using my current Apple Watch in 5 years, let alone 15.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
But see, I don't view the Watch as jewelry, and I never have. It is an extension of my iPhone in the form of a watch. If something were to happen to my current Watch, I would immediately replace it with the same model I have now without hesitation. Spending the extra cash for the SS versions is impractical to me with an emphasis on "to ME".

Wouldn't the emphasis be on "just me"??? ;)

The good thing about all this is everyone has the choice. There's no right or wrong answer! Everyone is different, so get what you want, and most of all be happy with it. :) If not, take it back and pick something that does make you happy.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Wouldn't the emphasis be on "just me"??? ;)

The good thing about all this is everyone has the choice. There's no right or wrong answer! Everyone is different, so get what you want, and most of all be happy with it. :) If not, take it back and pick something that does make you happy.

Exactly. If you like something and have the money for it, who cares what anyone else thinks? Unless you are married of course... married people you know what I am talking about :)

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Not much different than buying a new car. There are a lot of good cars out there and they all get you from point A to point B. Some are more fun to drive and be seen in. But, they all depreciate as soon as drive them off the lot and you will probably get a new one in a few years. Just the way it is.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I like the way the stainless steel looks, but it's way too expensive. After having an Apple Watch Sport for nearly two months, I have enough experience with it to say that the Watch is not worth more than $400. It's just not that nice of a product. It's already slow now; it's just going to get worse over time, I'm sure.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the way the stainless steel looks, but it's way too expensive. After having an Apple Watch Sport for nearly two months, I have enough experience with it to say that the Watch is not worth more than $400. It's just not that nice of a product. It's already slow now; it's just going to get worse over time, I'm sure.

Kind of have to agree. I think the price of the watches are way over inflated especially since the internals are the same and the only differences are the bands and metal of the watch.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Kind of have to agree. I think the price of the watches are way over inflated especially since the internals are the same and the only differences are the bands and metal of the watch.

Not even the bands as all are available with sport bands. The $200 difference covers material for the casing as well as the glass.

It's also about look -- can't get the stainless look in aluminum. I love the style of it so the premium is ok with me.

I tried the aluminum first to save the $200 but could justify spending $600 on something I wanted vs $400 on something I didn't want.

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had initially bought the Space Gray and didn't regret it at all due to the significant price difference to the Space Black. The SS polish made me nervous, I was afraid of scratching just by looking at it.

Then last week I got the Best Buy email displaying lower pricing and I hadn't realized they released the SB on the sport band. I tried it on and the purchase was made. I am also a watch guy. 316L is a high quality steel, and that DLC is incredible on this watch. I also like the ceramic back vs plastic, that SG Sport back scratched a little too easy. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the SG, but this SS is another level.

I then broke down and found a flawless SS SB band on eBay for $425. I couldn't be happier with this combo. I only hope that when Generation 2 releases that they will release versions with the case only, I have a black sport band, black Leather Loop, and now Black SS.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had initially bought the Space Gray and didn't regret it at all due to the significant price difference to the Space Black. The SS polish made me nervous, I was afraid of scratching just by looking at it.

Then last week I got the Best Buy email displaying lower pricing and I hadn't realized they released the SB on the sport band. I tried it on and the purchase was made. I am also a watch guy. 316L is a high quality steel, and that DLC is incredible on this watch. I also like the ceramic back vs plastic, that SG Sport back scratched a little too easy. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the SG, but this SS is another level.

I then broke down and found a flawless SS SB band on eBay for $425. I couldn't be happier with this combo. I only hope that when Generation 2 releases that they will release versions with the case only, I have a black sport band, black Leather Loop, and now Black SS.

So you have both the SS and SB? nice combo :)

JoeyCast

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I love my SS 38mm because it is really pretty and works with all the bands but man I put on my girlfriend's Sport the other day and it was so light and felt super nice. I think I'll stick with the SS though so I can keep my band options open:)

goodevening

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I got the sport watch and I am really happy with it. It is really light on the arm and now that I have had for a month I don't really notice it any more than any other watch I have owned.

mrnimziki

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
While I really like the look of the stainless, I am very happy with my space grey aluminum. I received mine as a gift, but if it wasn't a first gen product I probably would've gone in and shelled out the $200 to upgrade. However, since it is a first gen, and knowing how I am with tech stuff, I will probably be upgrading down the line at some point and will definitely be giving the SS a good look.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW