Apple Watch and iPhone messages: how can I set it up so that it makes sound when messages come in?

mjd1969

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Apple Watch and iPhone messages

Does anyone know if it's possible to set the iPhone AND Watch to make sounds when a message comes in? I have the two paired and when a iMessage comes in, it goes straight to my watch. Works great for most of my day. The problem is that when I get home, I take the watch off and put it on the charger in my bedroom. My phone and I go back downstairs for the rest of the evening. Any incoming messages at this point ring on my watch upstairs and I don't hear them because the phone doesn't make a sound. People get ticked off that I don't respond to them, but I never knew they messaged me since the phone doesn't make a sound.

Short of turning Watch messaging off, is there a way to get the phone sounds to activate while the watch is paired?

Thanks!

andyh.67

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Apple Watch and iPhone messages

The only thing I can think off is when you take you watch off is to put it in 'do not disturb mode
This may make the iPhone to receive iMessages again

Just make sure in the Apple Watch setting on the iPhone the do not disturb is not mirror the iPhone otherwise when you turn this on, on your watch it will also turn it on the iphone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

akar33

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Apple Watch and iPhone messages

Umm..It doesn't happen to me. I do the same, when I get home from work and my phone rings like its supposed to. Unless I have it on silent like I do when I am at work.

andyh.67

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

Umm..It doesn't happen to me. I do the same, when I get home from work and my phone rings like its supposed to. Unless I have it on silent like I do when I am at work.

Yes it works when your phone rings but not for messages
Since the new WOS2 your phone and watch stay connected when on wifi

andyh.67

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

Yes it does work when the phone rings but not for messages......

akar33

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Yes, for messages and all other kind of notification too. My watch goes on the charger as soon as I get home and then on I interact only on my iPhone and iPad and both receive notifications as it is supposed too.

It seems that the only difference between your setup and mine is that I connect to the 5GHz network at home and the watch cannot connect to that. Perhaps that prevents notifications going only to the watch. I will try tonight once i get home.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

Sane here. Watch goes on charger when i am home and everything reverts back to phone.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site

Do you have your watch on a passcode? If so when you take it off your wrist if you don't enter he passcode notifications should resume on your phone/iPad.