I have the 42mm sport and I noticed that the middle of the watch face has a small hairline scratch. The scratch isn't very large but I wonder if it came from all the times I have been using Apple Pay recently. Anyways, is this something I can fix myself or should I pony up the $69 repair through my AppleCare? I saw a video of a guy removing a scratch similar to mine using toothpaste but I fear that doing such a thing would remove my oleophobic coat.

Will post a picture later tonight.

Thanks for any input!
    09-06-2015 08:07 PM
    I haven't used  Pay with my watch yet. Do you have to touch the reader for it to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-06-2015 08:09 PM
    Yeah the face has to make contact with the reader. Sometimes it takes multiple taps to read, depending on where the reader is.
    09-06-2015 08:14 PM
    According to the  Watch guide you just need to hold it a close to the reader.
    "Pay for a purchase. Double-click the side button, swipe to change cards, then hold Apple*Watch within a few centimeters of the contactless card reader, with the display facing the reader. A gentle pulse and tone confirm the payment information was sent.

Excerpt From: Apple Inc. Apple Watch User Guide. Apple Inc., 2015. iBooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gtech21 and iOSConvert2k14 like this.
    09-06-2015 08:20 PM
    Yeah the face has to make contact with the reader. Sometimes it takes multiple taps to read, depending on where the reader is.
    No it does not. I have used Pay on numerous occasions on both my Watch and my iPhone and I have not had to touch the reader to get it to work.
    09-06-2015 08:26 PM
    Strange. Just today it took me three attempts at Panera before it registered. Maybe it's different with different terminals? Or maybe I'm holding it at a weird angle.
    09-06-2015 08:29 PM
    Well, today I learned that I need not put my Apple Watch through any more unnecessary bumps. Any thoughts on how to get rid of the scratch?
    09-06-2015 08:58 PM
    Strange. Just today it took me three attempts at Panera before it registered. Maybe it's different with different terminals? Or maybe I'm holding it at a weird angle.
    Keep in mind that the sales clerk may have to select an option on the register to initiate the Pay option.
    iOSConvert2k14 likes this.
    09-06-2015 10:12 PM
    Keep in mind that the sales clerk may have to select an option on the register to initiate the Pay option.
    Also Panera's terminals are huge and the NFC reader is in like the bottom right corner I believe. So if you're just putting it in the middle of the screen it's not going to work.

The Lannisters send their regards.
    09-07-2015 02:10 AM
    Any thoughts on how to get rid of the scratch?
    It won't get rid of it, but screen protectors have a natural ability to make scratches "disappear" at least until you take them off ...
    HD Apple Watch (42MM) Screen Protector | ZAGG
    Apple Watch Sport Hairline Scratch on Face-xapple-watch-pdp-image_2.png
    09-08-2015 04:32 PM