Can I swim laps in a pool with my watch?

I

iMore Question

can i swim laps in a pool in my watch

I would like to do my laps in a pool in my watch. Is it water proof enough for that?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

The Watch is 'water-resistant'. It is NOT waterproof. You've been warned!...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Go by The Apple Watch User Guide and it's do's and don'ts.
I got caught in a rain storm the other day walking about 150 ft to my car that's as close my watch will get to swimming.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: can i swim laps in a pool in my watch

I've done it a couple of times but will not recommend it or continue doing it myself. My watch has been acting up since then

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

According to this article, you should be okay. However if anything ever goes wrong with the watch and Apple can tell that is has been in the water, it will likely not be covered under warranty.

An Apple Watch goes to the beach | iMore

Not the case. Apple support tells you to put the watch under running water to clean the digital crown, so if it wet when you bring it to the genius bar you can tell you cleaned the crown per Apples direction.

However, the repeated contact with the pool when you are swimming can't be good for seals. Every once in a while probably won't kill the watch, but as a regular practice not something I would recommend.

jonhcox

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site

I'll echo what bamf-hacker said, "Every once in a while it probably won't kill the watch, but as a regular practice not something I would recommend."

I've swam in the shallow end of the pool with my 5 yr old (less than 4ft.) and worn it in the waves at the beach (up to my shorts). Cumulatively, half a dozen times in the pool and once at the beach. Zero issues and after each time I rinsed in fresh water. That said, I'm not going to push my luck and probably won't take it out anymore. It's the SS 42mm WSB. My father in law has a 38mm Sport and he managed to roll his sail boat in about 50 feet of water last month. He had to swim alongside the hull until he got help to right it, about 20 minutes, and his is fine too.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site

I swim almost everyday for 30 minutes wearing it, this has been going on for 2 months now.... So far no problems, the only thing I noticed is that the speaker volume will be very low just after you leave the pool because some water remains on its hole... A minute or two after it dries out the speaker volume goes back to normal, I assume the mic behaves that same but have not tested it. Also the bluetooth connection is lost once the watch is under water, so even having the phone near you will not help. I guess bluetooth waves are not waterproof!lol

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

You can swim with it. Rinse in fresh water after being in a pool or in salt water. These can be corrosive to the rubber bushings that seal the watch over time. A quick fresh water rinse takes away any worry.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

If you have to ask, maybe it's NOT a good idea. Why even risk it? Just don't do it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

If Apple says in User Guide don't do it I'm not doing it.
It's says don't submerged it, swim with it or shower with. The water resistance is not a permanent condition.
By doing these things a user could shorten the life of the water resistance.
As opposed to being caught in the rain a few times.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk