Apple Watch Screen - How's it holding up?

akar33

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Nobody know what "composite"back means but it does seem to be easier to scratch than the front face. Perhaps its just transparent plastic. If somebody with watch/edition can respond, it'll be great.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah. Nobody know what "composite"back means but it does seem to be easier to scratch than the front face. Perhaps its just transparent plastic. If somebody with watch/edition can respond, it'll be great.

Sport model here. I don't know why Apple chose to use a different back material other than maybe price point. Plus, the fact that the back can be scratched, whatever the material, is probably not critical, as the biometric LEDs would probably work just as well with a few scratches.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No surprise here, but the sapphire screen on mine is flawless after being dropped, bumped, scraped, and worn during workouts. I'm doubtful it'll get scratched/damaged at any point in time, but still got AppleCare+ if anything were to happen.

Ha....interesting. Your post reminds me of the person who said his grandson's watch spontaneously cracked and a piece broke off overnight while he was sleeping.

I considered that doubtful. Reading your post makes me think something was wrong in that whole situation.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Ha....interesting. Your post reminds me of the person who said his grandson's watch spontaneously cracked and a piece broke off overnight while he was sleeping.

I considered that doubtful. Reading your post makes me think something was wrong in that whole situation.

I remember that "grandson story." :rolleyes:

nmburns

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Apple lists the back material as "composite" (whatever that means) on the Sport model, and "ceramic" on the other two models.

I stopped into an Apple store to try the two diff sizes on and the guy said the back of the Sport watch is plastic... I think I'm going to go with the Sport though because it's so much lighter. I have a very small wrist/arm and the SS was just too heavy for me. I know it sounds silly, but for me, it was too much. I am going to get the Sport 38mm version with the black band - I can't wait!!!

Druce

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Short answer: No problems yet, and not for a lack of trying.

Longer answer: I have always been a strong advocate of using a screen protector on my iPhones. It seems that whenever I don't, I get a ding, scratch or worse within a week. I pre-ordered my Apple Watch Sport, and was really worried about how well the screen would hold up. Honestly, I had worried that I should have chosen an edition with a sapphire crystal rather than the sport watch with gorilla glass.

Once I got my watch (on day one) I purchased a screen protector from Amazon, but it was a big waste of money. The curved nature of the glass made it impossible to stick it on reliably. After a few days of trying, I gave up and decided to let it get scratched up if it was going to get scratched up.

Months later, having dropped it, having banged my wrist against many a hard object, having had the watch fly off of my wrist because I had not fastened the buckle correctly, I haven't got a single scratch or ding, on the glass or on the metal. I could sell it as new.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Short answer: No problems yet, and not for a lack of trying.

Longer answer: I have always been a strong advocate of using a screen protector on my iPhones. It seems that whenever I don't, I get a ding, scratch or worse within a week. I pre-ordered my Apple Watch Sport, and was really worried about how well the screen would hold up. Honestly, I had worried that I should have chosen an edition with a sapphire crystal rather than the sport watch with gorilla glass.

Once I got my watch (on day one) I purchased a screen protector from Amazon, but it was a big waste of money. The curved nature of the glass made it impossible to stick it on reliably. After a few days of trying, I gave up and decided to let it get scratched up if it was going to get scratched up.

Months later, having dropped it, having banged my wrist against many a hard object, having had the watch fly off of my wrist because I had not fastened the buckle correctly, I haven't got a single scratch or ding, on the glass or on the metal. I could sell it as new.

Same here, I'm 6'5" of clumsy and not a mark or a scratch anywhere on my sport edition.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Which screen protector do you use?

I have the Spegin Steinheil Flex. It's not bad but it's not great either. It's been durable but it was a pain to put on and it is noticeable. bamf-hacker had another brand on his watch that he really liked and recommended. I'd look into that if I were you.

Lord Killington

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I got a 42mm sport on launch day, after 2 weeks I had a deep scratch on the glass from an unknown source. I sold my watch and got a steel one instead. Touch wood, it's fine since then. Mine might be an isolated case, I really don't know what caused it and I was not doing anything hardcore with it on.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73