Goodbye Apple Watch - Why I Sold It...

viewfly

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
That's all very well, but it's awfully expensive for a device whose main function seems to be to avoid needing to take your phone out of your pocket. My expectations for it were apparently pretty accurate, which confirms my decision not to buy. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.

I was getting a new Fitbit. That was $150.

So for $200 more I got the SW and got so much more! That was my real price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I'll get flamed but here goes.
Bought a 42 sport when it came out, sent back in two days. Bought it again for a fair look over and it lasted 9 days. It's going back tomorrow.
To me, it doesn't justify $430 out the door. Best Buy may discount the watch so maybe it will make sense then.
Bottom line is that almost every major review says it falls short. Sales were high at the beginning. I would love to see the return rate of the Apple Watch. I'll bet it's high.
And yes, I do like the watch but not at the current price.

I can beat that, mine is boxed up ready for pick up exactly 24hrs after delivery. My 42mm SG Sport was $658 with Apple care here in Australia.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there 'for you'.......The cost/benefit is there for others.

The cost/benefit ratio is out ther for all of us, if you think is fair and it offers a value it's fantastic, if you think it's not worth it and it's just not there.... that is also good, it's a personal decision and we need to respect which way you and others go

anon(4054009)

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
And that's a bad thing? Whatever process is used to purchase something, from impulse to OCD, result is the same. Great for the ability to recoup most of the money and play another day. I too have stopped wearing my watch everyday. Oh god another impulse buyer 😉

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Look you can deny what lead to you selling your Apple Watch all you want. The fact is when a products Features, Actions, and Benefits are understood, and are desired by the user, and the product delivers acceptably on those Features, Actions, and Benefits the Product gets kept, not sold and life goes on ...

You don't think it's possible that someone purchases the watch aware of everything you mentioned. They understand exactly what the watch will offer, yet they realize those things aren't as important to them as they thought once they have it? It can easily deliver on everything Apple offered, but if you go from NOT having those things previously to now having them...you have a comparison. And one could easily say, "I actually DON'T need these things." Especially after spending upwards of $350. That's a pretty steep price for features that you actually don't need.

That isn't a misunderstanding of the features...it's a simple realization that they aren't as desired as you thought.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
That is called impulse buying.

How can you impulse buy a product that you've had nothing to compare to? Reading reviews on a smart watch is far different than actually owning one. You will never know how it works for YOU unless you own it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing the watch, then realizing it didn't work out for you. It sounds like some of you are offended that someone could purchase a watch, then sell it once they realize it doesn't satisfy their needs. We aren't talking about a cheap product. The Apple watch is expensive. And it's a niche product. A new one. You aren't going to be able to form a true opinion on it unless you've owned it. You can do all the research you want but individual mileage will vary. In this thread alone there are those who've had positive experiences as well as negative ones. For some, the watch does exactly what they desire. For others, it does what they understood it to do...it just wasn't worth it after actually having the functionality.

I don't see anything wrong with what the OP did. He made a purchase and is now able to speak from experience on the item.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there 'for you'.......The cost/benefit is there for others.

$350 plus to look at notifications, change songs and tell the time from your wrist? Seems pretty steep, lol. If one is a watch collector, then sure. But aside from that I think people have a tendency to create a need. I think I can respect one who says, "Yes...the price is high for what it does. But I enjoy it and I'm willing to pay the price for it."

The majority of people I've spoken to acknowledge that it's just too expensive for what it offers. I've actually met nobody with one. For $99 my Pebble shows me texts, calls, emails. Offers fitness applications and since I use Spotify it handles my music. Sure the UI isn't as "pretty". But that doesnt justify an extra $250..."for me" of course.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Guys,

We are all different and we all have different views. Lets not get out of hand here, this was just me sharing my experience with others because just like we are all different, in many ways we can be alike. My intent was to share what I thought in hopes that someone who is on the "edge" can make a more sound decision than I did. Yes, I bought on impulse. But lets be honest, a large chunk of the retail market is based off impulse. Why do you think stores put chocolate and candy by the registers, or supermarkets put certain items near the entrance. They know these will be impulse purchases and look to maximize on it. So whether we realize it or not, a large chunk of us are impulse buyers to some extent.

Oh, and on a side note, I can already see myself buying the 2nd gen Apple Watch. The cycle will repeat...it's a part of being a tech geek.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your personal thoughts and valid point of views. I do agree with you that everyone is different. Different likes and dislikes.

Guys,

We are all different and we all have different views. Lets not get out of hand here, this was just me sharing my experience with others because just like we are all different, in many ways we can be alike. My intent was to share what I thought in hopes that someone who is on the "edge" can make a more sound decision than I did. Yes, I bought on impulse. But lets be honest, a large chunk of the retail market is based off impulse. Why do you think stores put chocolate and candy by the registers, or supermarkets put certain items near the entrance. They know these will be impulse purchases and look to maximize on it. So whether we realize it or not, a large chunk of us are impulse buyers to some extent.

Oh, and on a side note, I can already see myself buying the 2nd gen Apple Watch. The cycle will repeat...it's a part of being a tech geek.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the price point compared to the pebble I have to say your not only getting a more intergraded product but also one that will continue to grow with updates and dev participation that you will not get with another wearable

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with returning anything if you are not feeling it.
There's nothing wrong with impulse purchases unless it causes a financial hardship.

If a user doesn't enjoy The Apple Watch or any device they should return it or sell it.

If for some reason a user feels bad for spending the money that's a personal thing that has nothing to do with the price Apple set and the function of the Apple Watch vs a Pebble a Fibit or any other smart watch.

The price is right for whomever ever can afford it and whomever ever wants its. I believe it's that simple.

I've said this hundreds of times on these forums Use the technology don't let it use you. Meaning work with a device find ways it can make your tech flow more enjoyable and fun.

I recently bought a new iPod 32 gig for 260 bucks after taxes. It's fun to use as a phone via continuity as a phone around the house sitting outside on the porch or anytime my 6 Plus is charging. The new iPod is just as quick and snappy as my 6 Plus and it's a lighter alternative around the house. I'm just finding it to be fun and enjoyable . Try looking at the watch the same way.

Put some thought into "How can I use this device" once you receive it or more importantly before you buy it.
This post isn't directed to anyone in particular just a general overview of what I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hudss

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
so what you're saying is Apple has a knack for convincing people to buy things they don't need? shocking....meanwhile reading another review..water is wet..

FoxyKitty

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I have had my Apple Watch for two months now, I have considered selling it, but I'm afraid that I will miss it. The novelty has not completely worn off yet so I'm gonna hang on to it a little while longer!

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not making any hasty decisions until I see what OS 2.0 does to the interface.

I think it will be like iOS 1.0-->2.0 going from web apps to regular apps.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not making any hasty decisions until I see what OS 2.0 does to the interface.

I think it will be like iOS 1.0-->2.0 going from web apps to regular apps.

To be quite honest, WatchOS 2 (the beta versions to this point) isn't all that different from WatchOS 1/1.01, in my opinion, in regard to the user interface.

rickg1

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
To be quite honest, WatchOS 2 (the beta versions to this point) isn't all that different from WatchOS 1/1.01, in my opinion, in regard to the user interface.

It's not really the OS that will bring the benefits, but the ability to write apps that work directly on the phone and that have better access to sensors, etc.

I think we're a year or so from starting to see what a wearable like this can do beyond the obvious cases (fitness,notifications,etc). Look at the first iPhone... nice but nothing compared to what we have now in the 6 and 6+ and most of the difference is in the apps. As the Watch evolves we'll get interesting, perhaps compelling apps that make the Watch less of a watch and more of a general purpose wearable, just as the iPhone is really not that focused on being a phone and is a small computer that can also make calls.

For some, the issue is whether you want to take the ride along from where we are to where watches become much more or whether you just want to wait until they get there. There's no right answer to that question.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2