Goodbye Apple Watch - Why I Sold It...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm saying you had some disposable cash, jumped on the Apple Watch bandwagon without putting that much thought into your purchase.
Your entire "honest review" screams of flip-flopping and MEH ?

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm saying you had some disposable cash, jumped on the Apple Watch bandwagon without putting that much thought into your purchase.
Your entire "honest review" screams of flip-flopping and MEH ?

You are not quite right .. for sure.
I see you only want to live in a world where only positive Apple watch reviews exist... got it !!
and like JustD says, enjoy the rest of your afternoon. =)

viewfly

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Ay. I'm sure the Watch, being an accessory, is not for all. That's fine. And good that one can cash out so easily on Craig'sList!

I submit that the usefulness the OP found during driving, maybe enough for some AND for those living in the NorthEast, the best is yet to come. Heavy coats and buried iPhone's in deep pockets?the freedom of knowledge of notifications, messages and directions on the wrist will be very useful.

I fish waist deep in rivers. iPhone in LifeProof case or plastic bag inside my vest?having the waterproof watch to see the wife's message, email, etc is quite useful and to reply via Siri too. Plus a phone call on the wrist. My hands are busy. As they are during summer outdoor work or will be for snow skiing.

Just some more ways I find it useful. And do try the MyPlate app that ties in the watch fitness with calories counting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
....and why I may be regretting it.

So about 6 weeks ago I finally managed to get my hands on an Apple Watch. It was the first day of in-store availability and since it was in-stock locally, I canceled my online order and reserved a spot to pick one up. The whole process was seamless, albeit a little dry and somewhat unprofessional (I could tell the guy that helped me was probably done with the job mentally.)

Once I got it all setup, I began to wonder if this purchase was a sane one. It was the first time I purchased an Apple product and questioned it and ultimately blamed it on the hype. Nonetheless, I tried it out and wrote a pretty positive review on here and continued to use it from there on.

However, as of the past 2 or so weeks, I've caught myself using it less and less. One day I even left it in my drawer and went about my day and didn't even care if I had it or not. It was at that point that I began to contemplate my ownership of the Watch. I began to think about my daily activities much more in-depth and how the Apple Watch has (or has not) helped me do them. When it was all said and done I came to the conclusion that the novelty and hype wore off and I was 100% over the Apple Watch.

Now, in what scenarios was the Apple Watch TRULY useful for me; If I was driving and I had my iPhone playing music, I'd use my Watch to change the song. I hated having to pick up my phone to do so. If I was driving and I received a Facebook Message or iMessage, I'd use it to quickly glance at them. If a call came in and I was driving (noticing a pattern here?) I would use it to see who's calling, with this part being not all that useful since my car has bluetooth. It only became handy if for some odd reason my iPhone hadn't automatically paired to my car.

So while the Watch had it's uses aside from being in the car, for the most part it's biggest use was there. Having it track my movements was neat, but I used Strava on my iPhone for when I run or bike. Also, all the app extensions to my existing iPhone apps never really felt....right. By that I mean that while they COULD be useful, they generally weren't. Their limitations were substantial and they didn't lead me to use my iPhone all that much differently. I still used my banking app on my iPhone, still used Maps on my iPhone, still did just about everything through there. Whether it was just subconsciously or not, I defaulted to my iPhone and the Apple Watch never really played a big role.

So about 2 days ago I decided to sell it and within a few hours of posting it on Craigslist, I had a buyer. My phone was bombarded with offers, but I got relatively close to what I paid, so my losses weren't that big.

I'd have the watch on almost every day and people would always ask me "how is it?" and my answers was always the same...

"It's cool, but the novelty wore off and now it's just there most of the time."

Now, do I regret selling it? Just a bit. I did get used to it being on my wrist and when I began using my MK watches, it felt like I was putting on a damn brick on my wrist. The wristband also felt so much more uncomfortable than the Watch, which is a big pat on the back to Apple because the Watch never felt out of place on my wrist. It was comfortable, snug and easy to look at. But overall, I'm happy with my decision and it gave me a few hundred bucks in my pocket to use elsewhere, on things I'd probably get more use out of or enjoy more.

It also helps that this weekend is my birthday, so more cash to splurge at the bar! :beer: :beer:

That is called impulse buying.

JRX16

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
The thing I miss most when I don't wear the Watch, is the wrist notifications. That alone justifies it, along with the daily motion tracking because I don't keep my iPhone in my pocket all day long. I often keep my iPhone on my desk at work or on the kitchen table (or charging) when at home, and the Watch allows me to roam about without missing a message or call.
But the notifications are huge as I said above and when I go back to wearing my fine Swiss timepiece (I am a watch guy), I often feel like I want to glance at the Swiss watch whenever I hear my iPhone ding. It then reminds me of how convenient the Watch really is in that I can literally in 1-2 seconds mentally dismiss a notification because I see it's not important enough to deal with. Picking up the phone is far more involved in reality, especially if it's in your jeans pocket.
Plus, the Watch, like you said, is just so damn comfortable. I hardly feel I'm wearing it throughout the day which is FAR more than I can say about my heavy and relatively uncomfortable analog watches.
It's not for everyone, but I'm keeping mine and looking forward to OS2.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The thing I miss most when I don't wear the Watch, is the wrist notifications. That alone justifies it, along with the daily motion tracking because I don't keep my iPhone in my pocket all day long. I often keep my iPhone on my desk at work or on the kitchen table (or charging) when at home, and the Watch allows me to roam about without missing a message or call.
But the notifications are huge as I said above and when I go back to wearing my fine Swiss timepiece (I am a watch guy), I often feel like I want to glance at the Swiss watch whenever I hear my iPhone ding. It then reminds me of how convenient the Watch really is in that I can literally in 1-2 seconds mentally dismiss a notification because I see it's not important enough to deal with. Picking up the phone is far more involved in reality, especially if it's in your jeans pocket.
Plus, the Watch, like you said, is just so damn comfortable. I hardly feel I'm wearing it throughout the day which is FAR more than I can say about my heavy and relatively uncomfortable analog watches.
It's not for everyone, but I'm keeping mine and looking forward to OS2.

You're right. The notifications alone is worth it for 'me', and I'm less likely to feel the need to immediately respond when I'm busy doing something else like I am while viewing the notifications on my iPhone.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I never purchased the Watch expecting it to provide me the cure for cancer, pick all the winning stocks for me and make me more attractive to the opposite sex. I bought it because A). I'm a guy and B). I am a nerdy guy. This isn't my first and definitely won't be my last impulse buy, especially when it's a product made by Apple. I purchased an AirPort Express a few months back because I had never tried one and I figured why not complete my Apple ecosystem. Well, needless to say I didn't like it much and it didn't even come close to my ASUS AC 1900 router. I have been a tech geek since I was little and I have bought A LOT of things simply on impulse, hype and just plane old geeking-out. Whatever the case may be, I tried the Watch and it didn't fit my lifestyle. I don't think that takes away from it. I think it's a beautiful device and out of ALL the smartwatches I've had in my lifetime it is hands-down the best I've had....but it took the route of all the other watches I had. I bought it, I tried it, I enjoyed it but I was over it in no time. On to the next...

IanRip

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm not one to start something but, please explain
"I began to wonder if this purchase was a sane one. It was the first time I purchased an Apple product and questioned it and ultimately blamed it on the hype. "

you said you have an iphone in the car ???????

The watch is totally individual, like many other devices I suppose

It works for me, but its too expensive, luckily I can afford it now

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It's a continuous sentence, which is why there is an "and" following that statement. If it had a period after the red highlighted words, then it wouldn't make sense.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
You're right. The notifications alone is worth it for 'me', and I'm less likely to feel the need to immediately respond when I'm busy doing something else like I am while viewing the notifications on my iPhone.

This +1. The ability to setup VIPs for work and only be notified when a VIP emails or contacts me after hours is priceless. Really enabled me to manage my personal time better and not feel compelled to work every single time my phone buzzes. If the phone buzzes but the watch doesn't, it can wait.

Sean Peters1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That's all very well, but it's awfully expensive for a device whose main function seems to be to avoid needing to take your phone out of your pocket. My expectations for it were apparently pretty accurate, which confirms my decision not to buy. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.

I get the feeling that some folks go into buying an Apple Watch (or any smartwatch for that matter) thinking that it's going to somehow change their lives, they're going to meet Jesus, dogs will play with them, and their erectile disfunction will be cured. Now when none of those things turn out to be true they get super disappointed, sell their watches, and come to iMore telling everybody how MEH their Apple Watch turned out to be.
Lets be fair, the Apple Watch is a companion piece for the iPhone that does everything Apple said it would do fairly well. Being an early adopter of smartwatches in general I feel my expectations were properly set, and I love the Apple Watch. I'm already getting excited to see what Apple does with this Wearable Technology. There's no doubt it will evolve, just as there is no comparison of a first Gen. iPhone to a iPhone 6 plus, but at this point only time will tell (See what I did there) ...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's all very well, but it's awfully expensive for a device whose main function seems to be to avoid needing to take your phone out of your pocket. My expectations for it were apparently pretty accurate, which confirms my decision not to buy. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.

The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there 'for you'.......The cost/benefit is there for others.

JRX16

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

The cost benefit ratio does also need to take into account that it is a watch after all and if you are someone who likes the convenience of getting the time/date from a watch (rather than having to pull out phone each time), then it makes sense. How much is a nice looking watch? $100, $200? Cheap quartz Swiss watches which are really nothing special go for $250+ on average. So this is a watch PLUS. :)
But if you're a person who doesn't even care to wear any watch, then I see how such a cost/benefit ratio can look weak. For me, nearly all my "nice" watches are more expensive than the Apple Watch, and all they do is tell time/date. Cost/benefit to me is huge and I plan on selling all but my two nicest Swiss watches now thanks to the Apple Watch.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
My 2 gripes so far are.

1. I use a Bluetooth handset in my home office so calls go to it and not on the watch, surely they could make it connect to 2 bluetooth devices at once with all notifications, could be a deal killer this one.
2. If you wear glasses only for reading, its harder to see in general use and thats with the 42mm. Not sure i want to go looking for my glasses everytime i want to do or see something on the watch.

ferniesp

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll get flamed but here goes.
Bought a 42 sport when it came out, sent back in two days. Bought it again for a fair look over and it lasted 9 days. It's going back tomorrow.
To me, it doesn't justify $430 out the door. Best Buy may discount the watch so maybe it will make sense then.
Bottom line is that almost every major review says it falls short. Sales were high at the beginning. I would love to see the return rate of the Apple Watch. I'll bet it's high.
And yes, I do like the watch but not at the current price.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2