Apple Watch Second Generation

carlosazo

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I agree your second point, but in the first not so much.

I mean, why you want to have a phone in your wrist? any watch screen is way too small to be comfortable with, the speaker is too small it cannot sound good in the environment.

Apple's principal idea is to complement the iphone not to make a second phone, even if they want to put a SIM in it, they should invent a virtual one inside.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm not saying it can't be done, just requires some compromise and additional actions by the user. One of the things I despise about Android battery discussions is how accepting some are of having to "turn off this" and "turn off that".
I also have a Note 4 (in addition to my 6 Plus) and see no reason to leave battery vampires like Bluetooth, haptic feedback, and location services on when I'm not using them. Turning them off saves the battery and I can't see any benefit to leaving them on. So I guess I'm one of those "accepting" people.

from the Elegance

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I mean, why you want to have a phone in your wrist? any watch screen is way too small to be comfortable with, the speaker is too small it cannot sound good in the environment.

Apple's principal idea is to complement the iphone not to make a second phone, even if they want to put a SIM in it, they should invent a virtual one inside.
My Gear S is a phone-on-the-wrist that works great and offers a lot of utility. Even on my smallish girly wrists its great. I can leave my phone at home or in the car if I choose and not miss calls, texts, or notifications. When I want to use my 6 Plus I can just grab it and leave my Note 4 at home.

from the Elegance

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

It's the ultimate D-I-C-K Tracy fantasy...

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
BTW, concerning my previous post, when I entered a Legitimate Name of a character we all know, it came up with four asterisks. I know it's to keep things clean, but what does one do when it's above board?

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Oh I completely understand but I think many don't realize the significant battery drain that an active GPS connection will cause. It happens with the Microsoft band and the 15 or 16 people that own that watch know what I'm talking about.

lol at 15 or 16 people part. That's a good one.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any intentions of swapping Watches in the manner I swap iPhones. I use my Watch as a companion device only. What I do plan on swapping out are the bands....:)

I'm with you on that. I have the black band, the green and the blue. The wife just got me the black leather loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Will all of you that are so interested in true GPS functionality going to be on with he necessary sacrifices in power usage? I completely understand the desire but it's going to come at a price.

They need to incorporate solar power absorption into the screen or find a way to harness our bodies electrical current.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh I completely understand but I think many don't realize the significant battery drain that an active GPS connection will cause. It happens with the Microsoft band and the 15 or 16 people that own that watch know what I'm talking about.

I'm one of the 15-16 people that have a Band and found that if I turn off the screen during a bike ride or walk, the battery drain isn't that bad. I'll lose maybe 10-15% in a 45-60 ride or walk. If I leave the screen on to consistently monitor my activity, battery drain will double in the same time. It was livable, but then again, I'm not someone that goes on marathon workouts. Since I always carry my phone during outdoor workouts, I don't really mind not having the GPS on the Watch but it would be a nice feature to have.

GPS readings between the Watch and the Band aren't typically that far off after my workouts. No more than a quarter mile over a 10 mile bike ride. Usually closer to 1/10th of a mile. I can live with that. What confuses me most is the difference in calories burned. The Band and Map My Fitness will report double the calories burned vs the Watch (600-700 calories vs 300-350 on the Watch). I would really like to find a reason for this.

As for the OPs question, I did purchase Watch 1.0 so I can't answer that exact question. Do I plan on upgrading when 2.0 comes out? No. I'll wait at least until gen 3 and probably gen 4 unless there is something really compelling or I somehow damage my Watch 1.0.

jschu22

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
And that's fine but I view the features those functions provide as conveniences (some could be necessities) and as definition those should be easy to access. I don't want to have to go into settings and flip a switch whenever they are needed. You find that acceptable so that's great for you, although given your choice of phones I'm not sure why the need for battery conservation.

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It all remains to be seen, obviously, but I think all of you "wait for Gen 2"ers are in for a shock when this thing isn't updated annually. It's not meant to be independent from the phone, despite what some people seem to insist Apple " failed" at, or want to update their Wish Lists with.

A future version will likely offer GPS, more storage (key, if focusing on native apps), perhaps a camera for Facetime, and new band/material options. For a satellite device, software updates can keep this feeling like a new device for years. Just imagine them allowing 3rd party watch faces...

blasted11

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
My Gear S is a phone-on-the-wrist that works great and offers a lot of utility. Even on my smallish girly wrists its great. I can leave my phone at home or in the car if I choose and not miss calls, texts, or notifications. When I want to use my 6 Plus I can just grab it and leave my Note 4 at home.

from the Elegance

And it has a browser right?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I use Opera and its okay. The screen is a little small for browsing but it does work fine.

from the Elegance

I've seen a few people with a Gear S. I don't know how some of them manage to wear something that big on their wrists, along with doing phone functions, such as calling, texting, and browsing. I would never want a do-it-all watch, but to each their own :)

jschu22

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I've seen a few people with a Gear S. I don't know how some of them manage to wear something that big on their wrists, along with doing phone functions, such as calling, texting, and browsing. I would never want a do-it-all watch, but to each their own :)

I've heard a surprising number of people wish they could have a watch that allows them to leave their phone at home (the Gear S does, of course) but I suspect that in reality they wouldn't be doing that much if they could. Many of us are well passed the days in which our phone is merely a one on one communication device.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've heard a surprising number of people wish they could have a watch that allows them to leave their phone at home (the Gear S does, of course) but I suspect that in reality they wouldn't be doing that much if they could. Many of us are well passed the days in which our phone is merely a one on one communication device.
With my Gear S I can go into a restaurant, the mall, whatever, and leave my phone in the car or even at home. Why? Because the Gear S is a phone in and of itself. I honestly don't leave my phone behind often but I like knowing that I can without missing anything. Apple will give their watch a SIM card and this ability, its just a matter of time, just like it was just a matter of time for there to BE an Apple watch. When that time comes the ability will be highly praised. It seems to be the way of things.

from the Elegance

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If the rumors prove to be true Apple may be moving in the direction of esim or electronic sim no physical card. This technology would benefit a future Apple Watch where internal space is a premium.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If the rumors prove to be true Apple may be moving in the direction of esim or electronic sim no physical card. This technology would benefit a future Apple Watch where internal space is a premium.

That would be nice.

from the Elegance