Apple Watch at the beach - My experience

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I ended up going with my dog and some friends to the beach. I disconnected my watch with 100% charge at 11AM and went on my way. I arrived at the beach around 12:30PM and then played with my dog for a bit and eventually jumped into the ocean. I swam around for a bit, jumped over some waves, etc etc. Came back to the beach and laid in the sand, ate some grub on the boardwalk and then headed home. When I got home around 6PM, I had 81% battery life remaining after some occasional use throughout the trip, mostly notifications that I didn't respond to.

As for the sand/salt water, the watch held up well, but I wouldn't do it again. No scratches or anything, but you could tell either the water or sand would've had its way with it if left exposed to them long enough. When I inspected the watch further this morning, I saw some bits of sand in the edge of the screen as well as the speaker hole. I gave it a light wash in the kitchen sink and all was well.

Just my $0.02, leave it in the car or in a bag with you at the beach. For a $400 device, I think the risk outweighs the benefits.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Since I planned to bathe, do dishes and other light wet-related tasks, I purchased the Apple Care for my watch; the first Apple device I've done so with. Yea, I felt a little queasy taking that first shower with the watch, but after about a dozen showers later, it's not bothering me any more.

And you were right about rinsing off the salt water after returning from the beach. Water itself is not so much the issue as are the dissolved minerals that, if allowed to dry could pose a future problem.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Since I planned to bathe, do dishes and other light wet-related tasks, I purchased the Apple Care for my watch; the first Apple device I've done so with. Yea, I felt a little queasy taking that first shower with the watch, but after about a dozen showers later, it's not bothering me any more.

And you were right about rinsing off the salt water after returning from the beach. Water itself is not so much the issue as are the dissolved minerals that, if allowed to dry could pose a future problem.

i am the same way .. shower etc. i would just rinse it after the beach .. my luck it would get too hot in my car and break haha
regardless what anyone paid if you cant use it day to day no matter the activity i wouldn't own it

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Really shower with a watch on? I have several Diving watches, and not once did I feel compelled to shower with one on ...
I'll add my Apple Watch, Pebble watch, Moto 360, assorted Casio G-Shocks, Timex Ironman, and several other nice but waterproof watches to that list as well ...

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
What if you're expecting a phone call, but want to take a shower? Granted, you could jump out, dry off your hands and take the call. Or you could encase your phone in a Lifeproof case.

What we have in the Apple Watch (and other wearables) is not simply a watch, but an extension of our communication devices. While I personally havn't taken a call while showering, it's nice to know the capability is there.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
What we have in the Apple Watch (and other wearables) is not simply a watch, but an extension of our communication devices. While I personally havn't taken a call while showering, it's nice to know the capability is there.

Lets not get carried away here. We all have the capability of calling someone back when we get out of the shower ...

328iGuy

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Lets not get carried away here. We all have the capability of calling someone back when we get out of the shower ...

This I totally agree. I run my own company and would never take a phone call well in the shower, that IMHO is ridiculous and unnecessary in any circumstance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner