Showering

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I wore mine in the pool at a BBQ today. All was fine. I didn't attempt serious swimming, just walking around in the shallow end of the pool enjoying drinks and conversation with friends, but I regularly dunked it in the water as I chatted. Minor water incursions will not harm it.

dezee38

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
2 question for people who wear watches in the shower..... Did u do this prior to owning an apple watch? and What is the purpose? I've got to b missing something.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
2 question for people who wear watches in the shower..... Did u do this prior to owning an apple watch? and What is the purpose? I've got to b missing something.

When you start tracking your daily progress you begin to get obsessed with the stats, you start to live by it. You do not want to lose credit even for just one second. You do not want to separate from the watch at all during day because of this. That was reason one. Reason two, for me at least, is it cleans it and makes it smell nice. When you are wearing your watch all day long from the second you get up to go to bed, during workouts, etc. this becomes more of a need than a regular watch. Cleaning is a must and wearing in shower removes the need to have to take off and clean regularly. Third reason, tell time in shower. I only wore other watches in shower when I wanted them cleaned.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Right. So, u have a fitness obsession, not an apple watch obsession?

Sort of I guess. I think most out there will think of the apple watch half as a timepiece and half as a fitness band/smart device. It is the latter that will compel people not to want to take it off. Think about a Fitbit. I actually still wear one and only take it off to charge.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't taken it into the shower and I don't plan on it. But... I did get caught in the rain at an outdoor concert. Drizzled for about an hour before it came down pretty hard for at least half an hour and probably closer to 45 minutes. My Watch made it thru with no problems. I was even checking notifications and swiping thru the water on the Watch with few issues. A few times I had to wipe the screen on my pants to get swipes to register properly because it was so wet but the Watch may it thru unscathed. :yes:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I had a pebble and I never took it off except to charge so when I switched to Apple watch the habit was in place ..
I use it as my alarm or I would prob not sleep with it on but I like to Check my heart rate while I'm asleep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viewfly

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
The Apple watch has an IXP7 water rating. That means up to 1 meter, full immersion for 30 minutes. Tim Cook showers with it, as does my friend. I don't. I like to clean my wrists. And Tim has a closet full of new watches.

And I don't think soaps, etc are good in the long run. Also it's a good idea to take the watch off to clean the wrist HR windows on the back. They use light after all. Certainly rinse off chlorine and body salts. They are not for metals. And there's a membrane for the mic and speaker to be careful not to clog with soap.

So I don't shower with it on. I do rinse it occasionally under clean fresh water.

dezee38

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Guys understand, I own an apple watch myself, 42mm, SS, black SB, ok. So believe me, I totally understand the love for this thing, I LOVE my watch. I don't shower with my watch because I'm afraid something's going to happen to it. I wear my watch as I would any other, no case or screen protector or anything. I don't shower with the watch simply because I'm showering. There is absolutely nothing that can't wait 10-15 minutes. Is there any place where we don't want to be bothered? With time, with other people, with anything. For me, it's that one place and time to take a breathe. Guess I'm different, I've never had an inclination to wear anything while bathing.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Guys understand, I own an apple watch myself, 42mm, SS, black SB, ok. So believe me, I totally understand the love for this thing, I LOVE my watch. I don't shower with my watch because I'm afraid something's going to happen to it. I wear my watch as I would any other, no case or screen protector or anything. I don't shower with the watch simply because I'm showering. There is absolutely nothing that can't wait 10-15 minutes. Is there any place where we don't want to be bothered? With time, with other people, with anything. For me, it's that one place and time to take a breathe. Guess I'm different, I've never had an inclination to wear anything while bathing.

While I agree at least for me it's not about using it while showering by any means .. It's just I don't bother to take it off and put back on when I'm going to take a shower. If I didn't use it as an alarm I would prob take it off at night to charge and not put it on until I get out of the shower the next morning

dezee38

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Ya know, I guess I understand. I don't take off my diamond studs or my necklace. Same difference. An accessory is an accessory.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I take mine off after my morning workout, rinse it in the sink, shower, put it back on. I don't want soap affecting the water droplets size and potentially infiltrating the speaker/microphone holes. I also don't want soap scum on my watch. Around 1:00 AM I take it off, put it on my charger, go to sleep. If I wake up in the night, I put it back on for the next day's cycle. So, typically, it's off my wrist when I shower, again in the very early morning to recharge, then back on my wrist for the rest of the day. The only difference with my old regular watch cycle is the 1-2 hour period at night when it's charging. Otherwise, it's on my wrist.

When I attend pool parties, it stays on my wrist. No problems at all in swimming pools.

cessex

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm totally expecting to get made fun of...but when I'm getting ready for work...I like to have music going. I use my watch while in the shower...of any other part of the process..to control my music. Skipping songs and stuff. It also helps me keep daydreaming at bay being able to check the time, when showers go a bit long...and I'm running a bit late.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
We keep distilled water on hand for my Wife's C Pap machine. I use that to clean my Watch. No chemicals like chlorine. So, it does not go in the shower. We don't know yet the long term effects of chemical laden water on these watches. Even Tim does not know that yet.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

No. And to the second question? Because I CAN. I push the envelope because I want to. I think differnt. If you read the OP, they are asking for responses from people who actually SHOWER with their watch. We know there are those that choose not to do so. And that's fine. We know you exist. Now, go back to the safety of your little cubbyholes and let the rest of us enjoy our lives.

Last edited:

dezee38

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
No. And to the second question? Because I CAN. I push the envelope because I want to. I think differnt. If you read the OP, they are asking for responses from people who actually SHOWER with their watch. We know there are those that choose not to do so. And that's fine. We know you exist. Now, go back to the safety of your little cubbyholes and let the rest of us enjoy our lives.

Apparently u didn't finish reading the thread. I've already addressed this.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So I have to share with everyone what I think somewhat ironically answers my OP. So over the past several weeks I have been growing more and more daring with water exposure to my watch. Been showering more frequently with it, yesterday took it to the pool for the first time. Wasn't doing deep dives with it, but it was definitely at least submerged a few times. Well last night when attempting to receive a call on it I noticed that the volume was coming through very very faint. Tested it a few more times and same thing. I was convinced it must have been due to water exposure. I booked an apt for genius today but noticed this morning when I tested again that the problem resolved. Perhaps the heat from the overnight charging dried up inside. So I guess the answer to my question is yes, improper exposure to water can negatively impact the device and apple's guidelines are not just being conservative. Who knows if this could have been permanent, don't think I wanted to take my chances again. However what I am convinced about is an apple tech would have swapped this out for free with apple care as they would really have no way to prove for sure this was due to improper water exposure versus hand washing, rain, etc. even if they had a way to prove, I don't see them holding stern. I confirmed this with a friend who is an apple tech. Even so, now that I know that water got in there and did harm, I am worried it could have done worse damage like fry my device so I wouldn't even have the opp to back it up before swapping it out. Alright, just wanted everyone who participated in this thread to have this knowledge. Thanks for all your replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner