I have had all the Samsung Galaxy Gear versions, Moto 360, Asus Zenwatch and now the LG Urbane. My wife got her Apple Watch yesterday and I am very impressed with the customer service and support. Today, we went to the Apple store and I decided to wander off and try on one of the Apple Watch versions, namely the Apple Watch with the Bright Blue band. The watch looked real sharp and the watch felt great.

Now, I am contemplating moving back to Apple. Has anyone else switched from Android Wear to the Apple Watch? I am interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences. I also know that the Apple is version 1 and there is more to come. So far with version 1, I was pretty impressed.
    06-13-2015 10:49 PM
    Hmmm, you'll need an iPhone 5 or newer to try out the Apple Watch. If you do decide to give it a go, I'd be interested in your assessment/comparison with the fit/finish/interface/functionality/actual usability of the various systems. I've been an Apple user for over 30 years and would never entertain switching to another ecosystem. However, many are more agnostic than I and might find a even handed assessment interesting, as well.

So far, I'm loving my new Apple Watch. Over the past month everything has worked as promised. I just finished taking an outdoor walk with my dog and left my iPhone at home. When I got home, the watch connected instantly with my iPhone and uploaded my short exercise session. I've heard from others that the watch/phone connection with other ecosystems is more problematic, so your comments would be interesting. I haven't had any, that is NO connectivity issues at all.

The only technical issues I've had include the Taptic Engine is not as pronounced as I expected, so I've had to turn on the prominence feature with sounds to make sure I don't miss notifications. I also started getting some flickering screens with the stand ring visible in the Activity app when it cycled to another hour update, but that seems to have been resolved by doing a hard two button reset, the only one I had to do in my first month of use, which may be a memory management issue. So, the software is pretty robust.
    tech_fan likes this.
    06-13-2015 11:42 PM
    Hmmm, you'll need an iPhone 5 or newer to try out the Apple Watch. If you do decide to give it a go, I'd be interested in your assessment/comparison with the fit/finish/interface/functionality/actual usability of the various systems. I've been an Apple user for over 30 years and would never entertain switching to another ecosystem. However, many are more agnostic than I and might find a even handed assessment interesting, as well.

So far, I'm loving my new Apple Watch. Over the past month everything has worked as promised. I just finished taking an outdoor walk with my dog and left my iPhone at home. When I got home, the watch connected instantly with my iPhone and uploaded my short exercise session. I've heard from others that the watch/phone connection with other ecosystems is more problematic, so your comments would be interesting. I haven't had any, that is NO connectivity issues at all.

The only technical issues I've had include the Taptic Engine is not as pronounced as I expected, so I've had to turn on the prominence feature with sounds to make sure I don't miss notifications. I also started getting some flickering screens with the stand ring visible in the Activity app when it cycled to another hour update, but that seems to have been resolved by doing a hard two button reset, the only one I had to do in my first month of use, which may be a memory management issue. So, the software is pretty robust.
    Thanks for the info. Yes I was aware that I needed to change out the phones as well. I have left Apple a couple of time before when I had my Iphone 4 and moved the Galaxy S3 for a larger screen and then went from the Iphone 5 to the Note 3.

I was playing with my wife's watch tonight. When you compare it against Android Wear, its not a fair comparison because AW has many generations of the watch. With that being said, the Apple watch has a lot of potential. Its also very nice looking and quite fashionable. Android Wear tends to focus more on function. I am impressed with the Apple watch
    06-14-2015 12:41 AM
    Yes, other companies frequently fall back on the kitchen sink approach, throwing whatever the latest tech available is into their products, just so they can create a features checklist. It's a mindless, easy approach. Apple's focus has always been primarily on the integration of technology and software to create a user experience they'd like to have. This means that Apple always uses the minimal amount of technology they need to create the user experience they're after. That's why we're only now getting 2GB of RAM in the iPad Air 2. Apple needed to up the RAM to support the split screen software they've been developing. While other platforms have been touting this for years, hardly anyone actually uses it. However, with Apple's push into the enterprise with IBM, the time was ripe to throw in a feature that the enterprise will definitely make use of.

With the Apple Watch, we'll probably see the same incremental approach over the coming years. For me, the feature set in the version 1 Apple Watch seems great. I'm sure, though, in a few short years we'll laugh at how quaint our vintage Apple Watch appears compared to our version 5. Who knows, people may grow so enamored with the accessibility of stuff on our wrist down the road that the Apple Cuff, with a three or four inch screen wrapped around our arm with full cellular capability, and space for an enormous battery to give us multi day functionality may become the new norm, replacing completely the iPhone in our pocket. Fun times ahead.
    06-14-2015 01:03 AM
    I've been with Android for nearly 3 years after leaving Apples lack of innovation.

I've had all Samsungs, Galaxy S3, S4, Note 3 and currently own a Note 4.

I've also had a Galaxy Gear 1st gen watch and most recently an AW Moto 360.

All my friends are into Apple, and while Android is far superior for customising than iOS, it can at times be very fragmented and different apps can cause compatibility issues.

AW is a couple of generations ahead of watchOS but since I got an iPhone 6 and my apple watch last week I haven't looked back. It's a far more enjoyable experience than AW even though AW app base is far larger, a lot of the apps have to be designed for all of the watches, so what looks and runs well on the LG Urbane for example may look and run terribly on the Moto 360.

I won't forgot my Android roots and will probably swap and change between the two as both Ecosystems have their advantages and disadvantages, but at the moment I'm enjoying my iPhone and apple watch, with new features on the horizon.
    tech_fan likes this.
    06-14-2015 05:20 AM
    I made the switch from my note 4 and gear 2 about a month ago. Just received my  watch a couple days ago. Apple is becoming more and more personal every update. Their battery life is much better than the Galaxy 3 note 3 and note 4 that I have owned through the years.

The  watch is ahead of AW in my opinion and is far ahead of Samsungs tizen OS. I haven't had much time to play with it due to work but from what I've done with it and what I've seen its awesome. The next upgrade that is hitting in the fall will make it more personal.

Overall, I'm pleased with my switch. But who knows if I will make a switch back to a different OS in the future. For now I'm content and enjoying my 6 plus and  watch.
    tech_fan likes this.
    06-14-2015 12:17 PM
    As some have said before me, AW has had more time to get things together than Apple has of course but I don't think the one year head start really shows. I have owned nearly every AW watch and multiple Samsung ones and found them to generally be a pleasure to use. All have or will soon be sold though. There may be a few extra features with AW but their best device is arguably the Moto 360 and the WATCH runs circles around it in terms of speed and fluidity. It also bests it in terms of battery in my usage of both.

Now others may have Apple beat on power management but nothing else is as refined and that's without even mentioning the hardware which is so far beyond anything else that I have serious doubts we will see much competition there any time soon.
    tech_fan likes this.
    06-14-2015 09:24 PM