Do you guys use Apple Pay on the watch? I just got my watch and I didn't know passcode was required to use Apple Pay, I understand the purpose of it and the security concerns, but I take off my watch regularly during the day so entering a passcode to me seems extremely inconvenient, not worth it for me since I use Apple pay once in a great while and I also have it on my iPhone. Not sure if passcode or Touch ID are required on the iPhone in order to use Apple Pay, since I guess there are still lots of people out there who never lock their phones..if not, it would be nice to have the option to disable the passcode and still use Apple pay on the watch
    06-12-2015 07:22 AM
    I use Apple Pay on the watch quite often. If I don't remove the watch from my arm, I don't have to use a passcode to make a purchase. When I put my watch on in the morning, I use Touch ID on the iPhone and that unlocks my watch.
    06-12-2015 07:33 AM
    Yes, I've used Pay via my Watch a few times and the process was seamless. As for having to input a passcode when taking of your watch, it's a security issue that I welcome. I don't want anyone being able to use my Watch except "moi"........Having to enter a passcode to unlock my Watch whenever I put it on is not an issue. Anyway, maybe Apple will provide an option to disable the passcode requirement when the iCloud Activation lock becomes an option for the Watch.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 06-12-2015 at 08:07 AM.
    06-12-2015 07:46 AM
    Locking the Watch when you take it off seems like a necessary security measure to me. Othewise, when you take off your Watch, anyone could just pick it up and use it to spend your money. If you don't like typing a code on the tiny screen, unlocking the Watch with TouchID on your iPhone is pretty convenient.
    Guacho likes this.
    06-12-2015 07:52 AM
    Locking the Watch when you take it off seems like a necessary security measure to me. Othewise, when you take off your Watch, anyone could just pick it up and use it to spend your money. If you don't like typing a code on the tiny screen, unlocking the Watch with TouchID on your iPhone is pretty convenient.
    I'll try that, I guess I wouldn't have a problem using Apple pay without a passcode but I don't think it's gonna happen ..
    06-12-2015 07:59 AM
    I would never consider putting my credit cards on ApplePay without a passcode. If it's lost it's only a matter of time before its used by someone else.
    06-13-2015 12:17 AM
    I would never consider putting my credit cards on ApplePay without a passcode. If it's lost it's only a matter of time before its used by someone else.
    Do you still use a wallet ? I think we all do and the way I see it, risk wise ... losing the watch is a lot "safer" than a traditional wallet since the watch does not save full names, full CC numbers, expiration dates and CC security codes, just the last four digits of the credit card, in the unlikely event that I lose my watch, I call Amex and have a new card overnight to me, and I confirmed with Amex and my credit union that purchases made with the Apple watch after stolen are covered and you won't be liable, it's a calculated risk I'd be totally ok taking..
    At the end of the day it's a personal decision...but I consider entering a password several times a day on a tiny screen a real PITA..
    Last edited by Guacho; 06-13-2015 at 06:46 AM.
    06-13-2015 06:28 AM
    They probably use the pass code for encryption too...
    06-13-2015 12:34 PM
    They probably use the pass code for encryption too...
    I also wonder if Apple pay keeps working if the watch gets out of range or if you disconnect it from your iPhone ..
    06-13-2015 04:11 PM
    I also wonder if Apple pay keeps working if the watch gets out of range or if you disconnect it from your iPhone ..
    I have left my iPhone in the car and purchased food in McDonalds. So, yes, it works without you having the phone on you.
    Guacho likes this.
    06-13-2015 04:16 PM
    My understanding is that the ApplePay information is stored on a secure chip in the Watch, independent of the iPhone (which is why you had to enter your cards separately into Passbook on the Watch). So yes, ApplePay works on the Watch without its paired iPhone.
    Guacho likes this.
    06-13-2015 06:04 PM
    The only time I wish the passcode lock was not on my watch is in the shower. When I am at the gym i leave my phone in the locker and take the Watch with me into the shower. I take it off and put it on the shelf so its not in direct contact with water, but since it locks then I don't see my notifications

I guess that is the price to pay for security. Maybe in a future update the lockout time can be configured so if you are comfortable with increasing the time you can.
    Guacho likes this.
    06-14-2015 06:23 PM
    The only time I wish the passcode lock was not on my watch is in the shower. When I am at the gym i leave my phone in the locker and take the Watch with me into the shower. I take it off and put it on the shelf so its not in direct contact with water, but since it locks then I don't see my notifications

I guess that is the price to pay for security. Maybe in a future update the lockout time can be configured so if you are comfortable with increasing the time you can.
    Yes !!! or lock the watch when you take it off AND it loses Bluetooth connection with the iPhone, is someone is going to steal your watch chances are it will be out of range in a matter of seconds or minutes
    06-15-2015 09:38 AM
    ..but I consider entering a password several times a day on a tiny screen a real PITA..
    Why would you ever need to enter a passcode on your watch? I've had my watch for 6 weeks or so and the only time I've had to enter a passcode is when I reboot it. I've used it for Apple Pay numerous times and NEVER had to enter a passcode. The watch locks when I take it off my wrist to charge it at night. In the morning I put the watch on first and then unlock my phone with touch id. That also unlocks the watch which stays unlocked until I take it back off.

Your comment about having to enter a password several times a day on the tiny watch screen doesn't make any sense.
    06-15-2015 11:51 AM
    Why would you ever need to enter a passcode on your watch? I've had my watch for 6 weeks or so and the only time I've had to enter a passcode is when I reboot it. I've used it for Apple Pay numerous times and NEVER had to enter a passcode. The watch locks when I take it off my wrist to charge it at night. In the morning I put the watch on first and then unlock my phone with touch id. That also unlocks the watch which stays unlocked until I take it back off.

Your comment about having to enter a password several times a day on the tiny watch screen doesn't make any sense.
    I take my watch off around 5 time per day, sometimes more ( nature of my job ), I know I have the option to unlock it with my iPhone but don't want to grab my phone just to do that, putting my watch on should feel natural ... I'd have to go like " oh I just put it on.. gotta grab my iPhone to unlock it, or enter a passcode " ..I just want to put it on and move on.

If you don't take it off at all during the day of course the way you do it makes sense.. I went ahead and disable ApplePay, I already have it on the iPhone anyway..
    Last edited by Guacho; 06-16-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    06-15-2015 11:10 PM