When I initially setup my Apple Watch, I did not have it setup every app on that was available on my phone. I only selected specific apps to be on my watch. I noticed earlier in the week I had two apps that looked like they were in the process of being installed on my watch (I couldn't tell what they were because they only had generic app icons), but were hung. I rebooted the watch, and they were gone.

Then I noticed I had ABC News app installed on my watch, which I know I didn't install. So I removed it via the Watch App on my phone. Yesterday I noticed Uber was installed on my watch, again that was an app I did not install. I went through my app update history and noticed that ABC News was updated on 6/8, and Uber was installed on 6/10. So there seems to be a bug that automatically installs apps on the watch when they are updated on the phone, even though those apps were set "not to show" on the watch.

Has anyone else encountered this?

-Ryan
    06-12-2015 05:50 AM
    Yes, it happens to me all the time, and it's very frustrating.
    06-12-2015 07:41 AM
    There's a thread on this issue in the Apple Watch Apps sub-forum. Yes, it has happened to me too, with certain apps (NY TImes Cooking, one airline app, etc.)
    06-12-2015 07:46 AM
    I've also made sure the automatically download apps setting was disabled in the watch app on my phone.
    06-12-2015 10:40 AM
    I just noticed that this week and I do not have automatic downloads activated. This is very frustrating!
    06-12-2015 04:49 PM
    I just noticed that this week and I do not have automatic downloads activated. This is very frustrating!

My suggestion would be to provide feedback to Apple:
    Apple - Apple Watch - Feedback
    06-12-2015 05:01 PM
    When I initially setup my Apple Watch, I did not have it setup every app on that was available on my phone. I only selected specific apps to be on my watch. I noticed earlier in the week I had two apps that looked like they were in the process of being installed on my watch (I couldn't tell what they were because they only had generic app icons), but were hung. I rebooted the watch, and they were gone.

Then I noticed I had ABC News app installed on my watch, which I know I didn't install. So I removed it via the Watch App on my phone. Yesterday I noticed Uber was installed on my watch, again that was an app I did not install. I went through my app update history and noticed that ABC News was updated on 6/8, and Uber was installed on 6/10. So there seems to be a bug that automatically installs apps on the watch when they are updated on the phone, even though those apps were set "not to show" on the watch.

Has anyone else encountered this?

-Ryan
    This is not happening to all of us so try un-pairing and then pairing the Watch again and see if that helps, if you haven't already.
    RobtRoma likes this.
    06-12-2015 05:09 PM
    Yes, it commonly installs any new apps you install on you iPhone on your Apple Watch, as well. It will also occasionally install old apps from your iPhone on your Watch when they are updated on the iPhone. This is clearly a bug, and many have commented on it, so I suspect we have Apple's attention, and will see it fixed, sometime.
    06-13-2015 11:57 PM
    This only happens to me if I update an app in iTunes then sync my iPhone. If I update apps on my iPhone i have not had a single app sync over to the watch without me specifically adding it.
    06-16-2015 01:13 PM