Apps not installed on Apple Watch get autmatically installed if an app is updated on iPhone

VTChamp

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
When I initially setup my Apple Watch, I did not have it setup every app on that was available on my phone. I only selected specific apps to be on my watch. I noticed earlier in the week I had two apps that looked like they were in the process of being installed on my watch (I couldn't tell what they were because they only had generic app icons), but were hung. I rebooted the watch, and they were gone.

Then I noticed I had ABC News app installed on my watch, which I know I didn't install. So I removed it via the Watch App on my phone. Yesterday I noticed Uber was installed on my watch, again that was an app I did not install. I went through my app update history and noticed that ABC News was updated on 6/8, and Uber was installed on 6/10. So there seems to be a bug that automatically installs apps on the watch when they are updated on the phone, even though those apps were set "not to show" on the watch.

Has anyone else encountered this?

-Ryan

Millbrook

May 15, 2015
Visit site
There's a thread on this issue in the Apple Watch Apps sub-forum. Yes, it has happened to me too, with certain apps (NY TImes Cooking, one airline app, etc.)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I initially setup my Apple Watch, I did not have it setup every app on that was available on my phone. I only selected specific apps to be on my watch. I noticed earlier in the week I had two apps that looked like they were in the process of being installed on my watch (I couldn't tell what they were because they only had generic app icons), but were hung. I rebooted the watch, and they were gone.

Then I noticed I had ABC News app installed on my watch, which I know I didn't install. So I removed it via the Watch App on my phone. Yesterday I noticed Uber was installed on my watch, again that was an app I did not install. I went through my app update history and noticed that ABC News was updated on 6/8, and Uber was installed on 6/10. So there seems to be a bug that automatically installs apps on the watch when they are updated on the phone, even though those apps were set "not to show" on the watch.

Has anyone else encountered this?

-Ryan

This is not happening to all of us so try un-pairing and then pairing the Watch again and see if that helps, if you haven't already.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it commonly installs any new apps you install on you iPhone on your Apple Watch, as well. It will also occasionally install old apps from your iPhone on your Watch when they are updated on the iPhone. This is clearly a bug, and many have commented on it, so I suspect we have Apple's attention, and will see it fixed, sometime.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
This only happens to me if I update an app in iTunes then sync my iPhone. If I update apps on my iPhone i have not had a single app sync over to the watch without me specifically adding it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner