How can I downgrade Watch OS 2 to 1.0.1?

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
So I've got a bit of a problem. Maybe someone could help. I have WatchOS 2 Beta 2 on my Apple Watch Sport and iOS 9 on my iPhone 6. I restored my iPhone 6 yesterday to check out iOS 8.4. When I went back to iOS 9 Beta 2, I did a factory reset on the watch so I could pair it again. Now, the Apple Watch seems to be bricked. Nothing happens when I press the power button or the digital crown. I suppose it could still be resetting, but even then there's usually something on the screen.

I guess my question is if anyone has had any experience with this? What happens when you factory reset your Apple Watch running WatchOS 2 Beta 2?

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

iMoreAppImg_20150701_111506.jpg

So I un paired and reset the device. Then restored to os 1.01 and now it's stuck on this screen. I've done a hard reset several times and the furthest it's loaded was 1/4 of the way. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 😔

baz1536

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

What do you mean you restored to 1.0.1. Had you upgraded to 2? If so you are still on 2...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 84311

So I un paired and reset the device. Then restored to os 1.01 and now it's stuck on this screen. I've done a hard reset several times and the furthest it's loaded was 1/4 of the way. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 😔

As you will see in this discussion, there is no way to downgrade the watch yourself. You can restore the 1.0.1 backup but the watch is still 2.0 and will not pair with 8.4.

I found that resetting can take what feels like quite awhile. Probably 20 minutes worst case.

If it is stuck, hold down both buttons until it restarts.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Some have sent the watch in for service. 9 beta 2 and watchOS 2 are much better. Another phone beta next week. I would just wait it out vs sending in for service.

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
As you will see in this discussion, there is no way to downgrade the watch yourself. You can restore the 1.0.1 backup but the watch is still 2.0 and will not pair with 8.4.

I found that resetting can take what feels like quite awhile. Probably 20 minutes worst case.

If it is stuck, hold down both buttons until it restarts.
You sir, are amazing!!! Neigh! Amazeballs! I know you weren't exactly responding to my comment but it worked! I held both buttons, it reset, and now it's performing the factory reset! Thank you! I thought this thing was totally bricked!

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Stuck with this also. Admittedly should have just left it tbh. In town near an Apple Store tomorrow so may try and pull some strings and see what they may be able to do.

Apparently the Apple Store can't fix it and it had to be shipped

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site

So now that my reset worked out, it randomly rebooted and now it's stuck on a similar screen as the one above

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

So now that my reset worked out, it randomly rebooted and now it's stuck on a similar screen as the one above

Reboot again with both buttons. Then if you can, Hold the side button until you get the power menu. Force press the screen to get Reset All again.

Hope that helps.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

With a problem like this, if it is really stuck and the Genius can't stop the reset loop, you may get a replacement. That has the benefit of being on 1.0.1 if that is your goal for now.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Some have sent the watch in for service. 9 beta 2 and watchOS 2 are much better. Another phone beta next week. I would just wait it out vs sending in for service.

Wait it out? If we are stuck in a loop I don't think the new beta is going to fix it. Once I get my watch back I will go back to ios9 beta 3 when 3 arrives but def leaving watch OS alone.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Reboot again with both buttons. Then if you can, Hold the side button until you get the power menu. Force press the screen to get Reset All again.

Hope that helps.

Thanks this worked. When I got the the passcode screen I used force touch to reset. Now I'll just wait for ios9 beta 3 rather than sending it in

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Man, I was hoping someone found a way to get off watchOS 2 as I've unknowingly gotten myself into a predicament. I preordered Coin a year and a half ago, finally received it. Here's the only issue, I've also upgraded my Watch to watchOS 2. Why the issue? Because watchOS 2 only works with iOS 9, which is still in beta, and Coin doesn't work with beta OS's. So I am stuck between choosing a non syncing card or a non syncing watch. All because I did not think to look ahead and see if Coin worked with beta OS's, it's not something in my normal thought processes.

rpol86

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Man, I was hoping someone found a way to get off watchOS 2 as I've unknowingly gotten myself into a predicament. I preordered Coin a year and a half ago, finally received it. Here's the only issue, I've also upgraded my Watch to watchOS 2. Why the issue? Because watchOS 2 only works with iOS 9, which is still in beta, and Coin doesn't work with beta OS's. So I am stuck between choosing a non syncing card or a non syncing watch. All because I did not think to look ahead and see if Coin worked with beta OS's, it's not something in my normal thought processes.

You can send it in to Apple and they will downgrade it for you. I just got mine back today and I sent it out on Wednesday. I did it thru the support chat, they sent me a box to send the watch back in. You can go to a store or call also. Glad I sent it in for the downgrade, glad to have my watch back again that does not die in 5 hrs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner