How can I downgrade Watch OS 2 to 1.0.1?

smn8600

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

Forgive me in advance, dumb question... I'm sure it's not, but is it not possible to modify the configuration profile for the purpose of downgrading? Some of us here are iOS dev's, maybe someone can explain why? The mobileconfig file just looks like an xml when opened in a text editor. I read most of this thread, but didn't catch anywhere any mention of this approach (could be wrong).

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Solved my 2.0 to 1.0.1 problem at my local Apple store. I bought a new watch. :). Seriously, they had them in stock to purchase. Opened the Apple Store app and looked at current availability and it said 'check in store availability'. I did and made a reservation for pickup. Drove in and bought one. I am surely in ***** but an ***** that now has a watch for dev and one for daily use (as Apple intended).

MikeyDeezy

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site

Forgive me in advance, dumb question... I'm sure it's not, but is it not possible to modify the configuration profile for the purpose of downgrading? Some of us here are iOS dev's, maybe someone can explain why? The mobileconfig file just looks like an xml when opened in a text editor. I read most of this thread, but didn't catch anywhere any mention of this approach (could be wrong).

There was a thread on Reddit about this.

A guy on Twitter claimed he modified the config file to point at a 1.0.1 firmware instead of the 2.0 link. However other users who tried to edit the configuration profile couldn't find any discernable URL that could be modified to allow us to downgrade.

Here is the thread
A possible method to downgrade watchOS 2. Anyone want to try it? : AppleWatch

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

i luckily do not have this issue .. ( i am picking up my watch tonight) and now know to not run beta on it lol
Only other option i did not see people mention is if apple was not nice enough to replace it for free .. If you have apple care you could have
replaced it that way.
I swore i would skip the apple watch as i like my pebble ... well that didn't pan out .. The apple in me took over lol

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site

I spoke to Apple customer service and is covered under the original warranty, they are shipping me a box by UPS. On the disclaimer it says that if they find something else that is damage, you will have to covered the cost, if you don't want them to fix it, you have to pay for the service that is no more than $100.00

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
If Apple goes by the previous trends on IOS beta updates, it should come out on the 15th day, so hopefully next Tuesday

Generally, it's every two weeks. Not sure where you got 15 days from. I know that sometimes they drop it on a Tuesday, but usually after that it goes back to a Monday. You never really see them on a Wednesday. I'm expecting the next beta on Monday.

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site

One person on Reddit claimed they could do it by changing the config file

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

If you read the thread it appears to not work for anyone. Supposedly the one claiming he could do it says you need the original firmware from your actual device. Who knows how to get that? Since we upgraded, certainly not us. I edited the 2.0 config file and it says invalid profile with minor edits. Plus it wouldn't matter. It's easy to delete the 2.0 profile from the phone but impossible to remove it from the watch. And with no way to restore the firmware, it isn't going to magically revert anyway.

The only way this is going to be possible without Apple's help, is with jailbreak tools (and they supposedly exist). And we aren't going to see those, if they do exist, until after the public 2.0 release. Otherwise Apple will see the exploit and patch it before the masses get it.

pepms

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Im going next week to the genius bar, do you think i should straight tell them that i need to downgrade, or maybe i can tell them that it can?t be paired and show them what happens when i try to pair it?

Thanks!!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Im going next week to the genius bar, do you think i should straight tell them that i need to downgrade, or maybe i can tell them that it can?t be paired and show them what happens when i try to pair it?
With the GeniusBar truth is always the best way to go...

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
With the GeniusBar truth is always the best way to go...

I don't disagree but I tried honesty yesterday and after much internal discussion they refused to take it because it had 2.0. Even still they do such a great job trying to help it would be wrong to mislead these nice folks. Otherwise they will stop trusting and stop helping.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I have been waiting for a while to post here... If you are a legitimate dev then you have no need to downgrade your watch. You are "developing" for it and should be testing your apps.

If you bought in or got a dev account just to play with the new OS's then having a buggy device is the price you have to pay.

sit tight and a new beta will be coming soon. Every beta brings new fixes and introduces some new bugs :)

baz1536

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

I have been waiting for a while to post here... If you are a legitimate dev then you have no need to downgrade your watch. You are "developing" for it and should be testing your apps.

If you bought in or got a dev account just to play with the new OS's then having a buggy device is the price you have to pay.

sit tight and a new beta will be coming soon. Every beta brings new fixes and introduces some new bugs :)

I disagree with this. What if you are a dev developing for the current OS and 2.0?

The simulator isn't exactly like using the real thing so are you meant to have a watch for 2.0 dev, one for 1.0.1 dev and one as daily driver....

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I disagree with this. What if you are a dev developing for the current OS and 2.0?

The simulator isn't exactly like using the real thing so are you meant to have a watch for 2.0 dev, one for 1.0.1 dev and one as daily driver....

Definitely should have taken the warning seriously then.

David Malka

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Quick Update. I brought the watch to Apple Genius Bar and told them that I upgraded etc and they sent it to the depot. It took a week and I went to pick my watch up today and they flashed it back to 1.0.1 and did not charge me. I'm this is finally resolved.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Quick Update. I brought the watch to Apple Genius Bar and told them that I upgraded etc and they sent it to the depot. It took a week and I went to pick my watch up today and they flashed it back to 1.0.1 and did not charge me. I'm this is finally resolved.

Good news. Do you know if they flashed it vs replaced it?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73