How can I downgrade Watch OS 2 to 1.0.1?

baz1536

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Apple could easily enable a restore back to 1.0.1 without a flash using the hardware port

All they would need to do either in the next release of 8.4/9 beta or full version of 4 and a subsequent beta 2 of watchOS2 is let 1.0.1 be installed over the top.

Apple would have no issue being able to enable this. I think they will have to eventually for beta versions. It's ok saying it should be installed on a developers device but are developers expected to have two watches so they can develop for both current release and the beta.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Apple could easily enable a restore back to 1.0.1 without a flash using the hardware port

All they would need to do either in the next release of 8.4/9 beta or full version of 4 and a subsequent beta 2 of watchOS2 is let 1.0.1 be installed over the top.

Apple would have no issue being able to enable this. I think they will have to eventually for beta versions. It's ok saying it should be installed on a developers device but are developers expected to have two watches so they can develop for both current release and the beta.

Apple is very upfront that that they expect devs to only use this on hardware dedicated for unfinished OS so they can develop.

Conversely, devs (me included) underestimated just how inconvenient a beta can be and didn't consider the risks well enough. I certainly can't afford 2 watches which I suspect is typical. I do have a phone for dev and a daily driver. My situation for dev is not typical though, my testing device must stay stock, while my daily use phone is the lab rat.

The ability to revert on a phone which carried the same warning is because Apple doesn't want to deal with support issues for the vast number of phones that need a restore. It's not reverting they are supporting, it's restoring.

Tips on how I have adjusted to lower battery life until the fixes come:
- put phone on charger while on wifi.
- turn Bluetooth off on phone while on home wifi. Watch works great this way at home.
- uninstalled 3rd party apps on watch so no unnecessary syncing or broken apps gulping battery.
- if i need the watch for a very long day, I charge it for 30 minutes late afternoon. It charges quite quickly.
- bought a mophie for my 6+

I get 6% in a normal hour. I was getting 8% and worse before. There are times when I get 7%+ when it is syncing or in heavy use.

Keep in mind that watch syncs more at certain times so battery life isn't consistent throughout a day.

Personally, I like the thrill of getting the beta and have adjusted to it. I don't blame Apple for not supporting downgrades with this being so new for them and us.

I was one of the 'lucky' ones who's phone was disabled via the OTA beta update last year. When you install a beta, anything can happen. It's all part of the thrill of early access.

Cheers.

realogic

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't think Apple is going to do any downgrade tool. They'll be much more motivated to fix all those battery issue for the upcoming beta 2 expected in one week.
I had to revert to 8.3 on my iPhone
I'll call tomorrow Apple for watch re-flash. I can live without it, what I really can't is recharging at least three time per day my phone (with iOS 9)

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
They were pretty clear that it would require iOS 9. There has to be a recovery mode though. All they would really have to do is update the Apple Watch app to download and install the OS like iTunes does instead of just erasing content and settings

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't see how they can just tell us we can't downgrade. Not all developers can have two watches. It's kind of crazy that they'll want us to develop for a platform and then make us pay for an out of warranty repair to fix it. I still haven't installed it, but I'd like to. Some are telling me that it won't be an out of warranty repair since I'm a registered developer. Some are telling me otherwise.

Still, this is the first OS where there's native apps. Devs need this. It just doesn't make sense.

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I have a question. I hear a lot of people saying that it's impossible to pair WatchOS 2 with iOS 8.4. I expected this as they said it only works with iOS 9. Has ANYONE tried flashing their iPhone with a fresh iOS 9 install and then tried resetting the Watch?

MikeyDeezy

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Resetting the watch is no issue at all. The problem is pairing the watch. If you pair via the matrix method it will say to update your iPhone's software.

If you try to pair manually via bluetooth the watch reboots and opens back at pairing mode.

Mouxy

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't think Apple is going to do any downgrade tool. They'll be much more motivated to fix all those battery issue for the upcoming beta 2 expected in one week.
I had to revert to 8.3 on my iPhone
I'll call tomorrow Apple for watch re-flash. I can live without it, what I really can't is recharging at least three time per day my phone (with iOS 9)

That's exactly my problem... Is not the watch itself, is the iOS 9 and this battery problem, I can even fry an egg on the phone :D

Probably with the Beta 2 things will get better. Apple is releasing an update for the Watch, to support Apple Music (that's what they say on the Apple Music webpage), so probably we should see anything new on the apple watch 2.0 as well.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Please, stop. Apple made it abundantly clear that they will NOT support the downgrade. It's their decision. There are tons of disclaimers that state once you upgrade to Watch OS 2, you cannot downgrade.

If you're a Developer, and only have one device, it is what it is. Either use the emulator to test apps, or run the risk of spotty software on your day-to-day driver.

But, for the love of god, stop complaining about a decision Apple has made, that you cannot change.

realogic

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
anaphora68: Did a doctor told you to follow this thread? If you don't like what users complains about, just go ahead, like I do in every post that doesn't interest me.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Please, stop. Apple made it abundantly clear that they will NOT support the downgrade. It's their decision. There are tons of disclaimers that state once you upgrade to Watch OS 2, you cannot downgrade.

If you're a Developer, and only have one device, it is what it is. Either use the emulator to test apps, or run the risk of spotty software on your day-to-day driver.

But, for the love of god, stop complaining about a decision Apple has made, that you cannot change.

I find it fun trying to figure out how to mess around with this stuff - not complaining at all.

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
First of all, I'm not complaining about it. I don't think most people are. I think most of us are simply looking for a solution to a problem. Keep in mind that all Apple betas say you can't go back, but you can always do an iTunes restore where it downloads and installs the official OS. Even iOS 9 says there's no way to go back.

Now that being said, we do have every right to complain. Everyone has the right to complain about anything, especially a device that they paid for and want to develop for, essentially supporting Apple's ecosystem and handing Apple a 30% cut of all revenue. So yea, I certainly think we all have a right to complain about this, assuming that the people complaining are actually using their dev account to develop software.

Never really understood why people complain about people complaining. Different things are important to different people.

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
That's exactly my problem... Is not the watch itself, is the iOS 9 and this battery problem, I can even fry an egg on the phone :D

Probably with the Beta 2 things will get better. Apple is releasing an update for the Watch, to support Apple Music (that's what they say on the Apple Music webpage), so probably we should see anything new on the apple watch 2.0 as well.

I think they'll have a downgrade tool soon enough. This is too big of a problem.

MikeyDeezy

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I think the point that is being missed by the cynical is that although Apple has said you cannot downgrade there has always been a built in solution to all iOS devices (DFU Mode) to manually install a lower firmware version. Many developers are young people with possibly only 1 Apple Watch to work with and in their excitement updated only to find major stability issues.

I don't know why some feel the need to defend Apple when none of us are attacking them. We are simply asking for help and discussing ways to downgrade our watches.

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I think the point that is being missed by the cynical is that although Apple has said you cannot downgrade there has always been a built in solution to all iOS devices (DFU Mode) to manually install a lower firmware version. Many developers are young people with possibly only 1 Apple Watch to work with and in their excitement updated only to find major stability issues.

I don't know why some feel the need to defend Apple when none of us are attacking them. We are simply asking for help and discussing ways to downgrade our watches.
Exactly. They're also forgetting that the iOS 9 beta displays the exact same message about not being able to downgrade. I've never understood people that complain about people complaining.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

Not being able to downgrade from WatchOS 2 is not a problem because warnings were given in advance. On iOS device, there is indeed the DFU method, but as of right now, there's no DFU method for the Watch, and Apple does not have to make such an option available. With that in mind, people aren't necessarily being cynical for pointing out the obvious and for reminding folks of the risks associated with installing beta software. That is not in defense of Apple. It's more of a call to take responsibility for ignoring the risks when you decided to install unfinished software on your expensive device.

MikeyDeezy

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site

Not being able to downgrade from WatchOS 2 is not a problem because warnings were given in advance. On iOS device, there is indeed the DFU method, but as of right now, there's no DFU method for the Watch, and Apple does not have to make such an option available. With that in mind, people aren't necessarily being cynical for pointing out the obvious and for reminding folks of the risks associated with installing beta software. That is not in defense of Apple. It's more of a call to take responsibility for ignoring the risks when you decided to install unfinished software on your expensive device.

It's not about what Apple has to do. Many users just want a way to revert. It's never a bad idea to let your core users/developers have recovery methods in the event of software issues.

Thankfully you weren't there to stop them from adding a DFU mode. 😑

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

It's not about what Apple has to do. Many users just want a way to revert.
I understand that, but as of right now, there isn't a way, and since there isn't, shouldn't the user take responsibility for his or her actions?
It's never a bad idea to let your core users/developers have recovery methods in the event of software issues.
I agree, but let's not assume that everyone who opted to install WatchOS 2 and/or iOS 9 Beta 1 is a developer or even a core user.

Thankfully you weren't there to stop them from adding a DFU mode.
Thankfully, I'm here reminding folks of the risks associated with installing unfinished software on their expensive devices in hopes that it deter non-developers from ruining their user experience with the aforementioned expensive devices.

anon(5718668)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Saw Apple this afternoon after my repair had been cancelled and re-initiated. Spoke to the Genius who looked at my watch but it was still running watchOS 2. He said that's no problem and that its been sent back to be re-flashed as a high priority. Should be done be the end of the week.

Anyone had a successful re-flash yet?