How can I downgrade Watch OS 2 to 1.0.1?

mletang

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Called support and they couldn't do anything except told me they could flash my watch in store. I questioned them since everyone is having to have theirs sent out, but went to Apple Store in grand central station (NYC) today and sure enough they sent it out. They gave me a little bit of resistance at first but I told them I have apple care + on the watch and the update has made the watch unuseable so they agreed to send it out but were unsure if I would be charged a repair fee. The repair invoice they emailed me shows a possible cost of $229 but a balance of $0. I'll report back when I recieve it back

suprmanx7

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
As an fyi about battery issues on the watch.

i had the same issue of my battery draining like crazy after I did an unpair and re pairing of my watch, i posted about it on this forum.

After updating to ios 1.0.1 my girlfriend and i noticed taps and drawings were taking ages to arrive even when we were on the same network at home, over 30 mins.

Apple suggested I unpair my watch and re pair from the backup made, it fixed the issue with the messages but after doing this the battery lasted till 4 pm on a normal working day when it had previously been at 40% when putting on charge last thing at night.

Unpairing and Re Pairing again fixed the issue.

Might be worth trying this as not everyone seems to be having the same battery longevity issue.

It appears all sorts of strange things can happen when unpairing and re pairing a watch.

We noticed additional problems when your phone is limited on storage space and its struggling to do the watch backup.

This has definitely helped me! Thank you! I was having bad battery issues

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Called support and they couldn't do anything except told me they could flash my watch in store. I questioned them since everyone is having to have theirs sent out, but went to Apple Store in grand central station (NYC) today and sure enough they sent it out. They gave me a little bit of resistance at first but I told them I have apple care + on the watch and the update has made the watch unuseable so they agreed to send it out but were unsure if I would be charged a repair fee. The repair invoice they emailed me shows a possible cost of $229 but a balance of $0. I'll report back when I recieve it back

Are you really willing to possibly spend $229 just to have an OS flashed. To me that is nearly the cost of the watch, so I might as well wait it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

After turning BT off on phone (watch using wifi)averaging 6%+ for last 4 hours. The beauty of this is I can leave the phone on the charger and move freely around house. Hopefully this gets me through to an update.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you really willing to possibly spend $229 just to have an OS flashed. To me that is nearly the cost of the watch, so I might as well wait it out.

Exactly. I can't believe how many people were/are willing to install a beta OS on their shiny new Watch. Let them iron the bugs out before giving this a try unless you are an absolute diehard willing to put up with all the problems beta software is known for.

rpol86

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if there is a watchOS 1 configuration profile?!! That might make the Apple Watch app download 1.0.1, any thoughts?

MikeyDeezy

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if there is a watchOS 1 configuration profile?!! That might make the Apple Watch app download 1.0.1, any thoughts?

I was thinking about this earlier. I'm guessing if Apple is motivated to give us a method to restore 1.0.1 that would probably go about it that way.

mletang

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I wouldn't. I would rather damage the watch and burn an apple care + replacement. But I would think even if they wanted to charge me the apple care + would cover most of it.

I also think some kind of fix will be released in the upcoming weeks. Whether from apple or hackers I'm not sure.

Last edited:

GEE-MALE

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Can't wait for beta 2 or a way to downgrade.. on Os 2 i can't reply to text message, only the dismiss option is shown every time i get a message, and when i go to the watch message app, the folder is empty ... sucks :(

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I seem to remember that the battery improvements don't get full treatment until 3rd beta releases. Hope I'm wrong.

Xnitrox45

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Jake:

Have you checked your Apple Watch OS version? I had the same luck as you in that I had a backup from unpairing my watch prior to the beta release of 2.0. However, even though during restore it gives me the option to go back and the restore selection I choose has the label of WatchOS 1.0.1, it still restores it to WatchOS 2.0. I am curious if you can double check your settings/general/about. Thanks. Otherwise, not sure why I cannot restore to 1.01 while you apparently can. Thanks.

BradWinterton

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Just got off of the live support with Apple now. They're going to call me tomorrow about arranging for my watch to be mailed in for the software to be re-installed to it. Apparently there's no charge as long as there's no damage to the device. Very happy to know that I'll be able to have a working watch again. :)

anon(5718668)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just got off of the live support with Apple now. They're going to call me tomorrow about arranging for my watch to be mailed in for the software to be re-installed to it. Apparently there's no charge as long as there's no damage to the device. Very happy to know that I'll be able to have a working watch again. :)

Same as your Brad. Unsure as to why certain people are being charged for the flash of the device?

Have had trouble getting my repair status updated mind. Apple Support calling me Monday to confirm what's going on with my watch and where it's at! There's hope guys!

nanohits

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I too was not getting any taps or notifications but when I restored the iPhone OS9 again, the watch paired again and everything isnow working as it should.

Try that

MikeyDeezy

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site

Well I restored to 8.4 beta 4. I hope there is a method to downgrade watchOS back to 1.0.1 but otherwise I'll just try to wait until 9.0 beta 2 comes.