How can I downgrade Watch OS 2 to 1.0.1?

trevkat

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Just a question for everyone on the 2.0 software because this is bothering me. In the watch app on the iphone under glances it is showing the default "weather" app twice. I know its just a bug but its irritating me and i didnt notice it until I started trying to downgrade back to 1.01.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks!!!

Mouxy

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

Guys, just because I haven't tried it yet... The watch 2.0 and iOS 8.4 B4 are incompatible, right?
Thanks!

David Malka

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same situation and have been following this thread since yesterday. I tried everything and there is no way to downgrade as of now. I finally ended up bringing my watch yesterday at Apple and like some other people here they have no way to do it in store so needed to send it in to the depot. They said a few days and again gave no guarantees that it will be done.

They explained that they have no way of flashing the watch in store, they don't even have replacement units.

Hopefully the depot does it.

ocrane

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same situation and have been following this thread since yesterday. I tried everything and there is no way to downgrade as of now. I finally ended up bringing my watch yesterday at Apple and like some other people here they have no way to do it in store so needed to send it in to the depot. They said a few days and again gave no guarantees that it will be done.

They explained that they have no way of flashing the watch in store, they don't even have replacement units.

Hopefully the depot does it.

And did it cost anything, or did they ask for your developer email?

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
i had a lot of issues, but was able to get it to work, at least to the next update , my phone battery was awful , I did a clean iOS 9 install and set the phone as new and install the apps one by one, the ones that didn't work got deleted ( few of them)

On Apple Watch I had issues with Tap and sound, weather app, alerts. on this I erase everything, set as new and didn't do the apps automatically, when I did at the first time the apps where stuck installing, so by doing them one by one I made sure they got installed, I kept resetting the watch until I got most of the apps working, took at least 5 times. My current issues now are that I can only reply to iMessages, regular messages don't work, the weather app has issues, so I'm using the weather channel app, and the battery sucks, but yesterday it lasted until 10:00pm, not bad until the next update

J_blatto

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Interesting thread. I guess a lot of us assumed downgrading from 2.0 back to 1.0.1 would be as simple as going from 9.0 to 8.3.

My watch is workable but my iPhone is awful. Slow to charge and quick to drain. I went to sleep last night with my battery on 58% (not plugged in) and after 7 hours without any use from me (the phone still does it's own thing) the battery was completely dead when I woke up. I'm going to charge this morning and put it on battery reserve mode / turn off background app updating and see if that helps the battery. If it doesn't, I'm going to be forced to downgrade to 8.3 and put my watch back in it's box for a few weeks. It's a nice luxury but not as necessary as my iPhone (first world problems).

I'm a registered app developer so I read the Genius Bar might be willing to send it off but the Apple Store isn't worth the drive. Good luck to anybody who figures out a way to downgrade watch OS

edit: I'm going to attempt to re-charge my phone. It's been plugged in for 2 hours and it's gotten to 3% but continues to die. I've left it along for about 30 minutes and it's still on the red battery drained icon.

Last edited:

jarran6

May 9, 2015
Visit site
As an fyi about battery issues on the watch.

i had the same issue of my battery draining like crazy after I did an unpair and re pairing of my watch, i posted about it on this forum.

After updating to ios 1.0.1 my girlfriend and i noticed taps and drawings were taking ages to arrive even when we were on the same network at home, over 30 mins.

Apple suggested I unpair my watch and re pair from the backup made, it fixed the issue with the messages but after doing this the battery lasted till 4 pm on a normal working day when it had previously been at 40% when putting on charge last thing at night.

Unpairing and Re Pairing again fixed the issue.

Might be worth trying this as not everyone seems to be having the same battery longevity issue.

It appears all sorts of strange things can happen when unpairing and re pairing a watch.

We noticed additional problems when your phone is limited on storage space and its struggling to do the watch backup.

rpol86

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Today the watch is doing very well. 5hrs of standby so far and its at 82% with 2hrs of use. I unpaired it last night and when I paired it back to the phone I chose to install apps later. I then went and picked the apps that I wanted but I did it one at a time, I watched as the apps installed and waited till it was done and moved to the next one. I noticed that on the auto install after you restore the watch from a backup, the apps stay hanging in "installing" this might be the major cause of the battery draining so much.

rmiller66

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site

Didn't work for me. I downgraded to 8.4b4 and reset the watch os2. But it still told me I must upgrade...... It appears that 8.4b4 really isn't compatible with Watchos2 as mentioned earlier

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

The article implies that a 'lucky' user finding how to invoke DFU is what will solve the problem. Ok but don't expect iTunes to be able to restore firmware to a watch.

The update is managed by the app on the phone. So it's possible theoretically to flash it but no one knows how to put it all together.

All you would have in DFU is a useless watch. Also downloading the firmware is useless at this point.

I wonder how the firmware has been obtained. Perhaps those folks know a bit more of the puzzle.

The fact that apple genius' are not trained to flash a bricked watch means Apple has not anticipated this happening.

As a commentator pointed out we are supposed to be devs and not using hardware we rely on day to day. So it's easy to see how Apple did not plan for this.

Normal users expecting to be able to go back to 1.0 from 1.0.1 due to frequency of heart rate monitoring have way too high an expectation from Apple.

mpf541

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I took it to Apple and they sent it to be re flashed at the depot. Kind of a pain but I should have known better than to put beta software on. My biggest issue was not really the watch but having to leave 9 on my phone. It was needing to be charged more often than the watch. At least they are doing it at no charge. I hear people that have called in were charged.

ocrane

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I took it to Apple and they sent it to be re flashed at the depot. Kind of a pain but I should have known better than to put beta software on. My biggest issue was not really the watch but having to leave 9 on my phone. It was needing to be charged more often than the watch. At least they are doing it at no charge. I hear people that have called in were charged.

how long did they say?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner