How can I downgrade Watch OS 2 to 1.0.1?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem. Can't downgrade even with backup the Watch will stay on 2.0. Has anyone tried to connect the Apple Watch with iOS 8.4 Beta 3 or Beta 4? Because the battery life on iOS 9 (iPhone 6) is horrible. I lose 2% per minute while on screen.
Otherwise I have to return the Apple Watch and order the 42mm version (I have 38mm and think this is a good chance to use) but will Apple let me return the watch? Or will they send me the device back because it's not under the warranty?

One person above went to the store and they sent the watch to be flashed as out of warranty repair.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

Oh boy. No third party apps installed. Using only 3 glances. 4% battery in 30 min. You would think it's a Moto 360!

anon(5718668)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Did you book in to the Genius Bar or just go in?

I didn't as, for some reason, there were none at my store until Saturday. Walked in around 12:30 and was given an appointment for 15:15. My store isn't normally too busy in the week so I was happy to head off and come back! :)

Historically the first beta's are 14days.. So it's a toss up, be without a watch for a week? Or keep watch as is and hope beta 2 fixes issues... Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my friend, that is something that I had to consider. But I'd rather know that the problem is being fixed than not knowing what to do with it. The store was more than obliging to do so as well :)

ocrane

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I didn't as, for some reason, there were none at my store until Saturday. Walked in around 12:30 and was given an appointment for 15:15. My store isn't normally too busy in the week so I was happy to head off and come back! :)

Well my friend, that is something that I had to consider. But I'd rather know that the problem is being fixed than not knowing what to do with it. The store was more than obliging to do so as well :)

True, I might just bite the bullet and send it in..

JordanYork

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Hey man. Working on something that could be big. I'll let you know if it's successful.

There is currently potential for people that have access to an extra apple watch, or that have an iOS 8.3 backup with a backup of Watch OS 1.0.1.

Essentially, you would downgrade to 8.3, restore from your backup with the 1.0.1 backup, then do a Shift+Check For Update, select the iOS 9 Beta ipsw (DO NOT CLICK RESTORE) so that it keeps your settings during the update, then pair your apple watch on OS 2 beta and select restore from backup. Select the backup with OS 1.0.1 and you should be set.

Again, I'll let you know if what I'm working on pans out, which should allow anyone to downgrade.

Edit: Fails all around. When you restore from a 1.0.1 backup, people are thinking it took them back to 1.0.1 because it doesn't show the 2 new watch faces unless you select the +Add option. Looks like we have to wait it out and accept the fact that Apple says, "Zero fun allowed with your Apple Watches! If you want to play with one on beta software, spend another $400 minimum!"
Lesson learned. (And of course I know it's Beta and of course I expected it to be buggy. I just wanted to try it out for a few days, not realizing that it couldn't be restored to a stable OS like every other product they have ever released. Before now, there really hasn't been any risk involved with trying betas out, but I see they've decided to take a different path this time.

Last edited:

anon(5718668)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Hey man. Working on something that could be big. I'll let you know if it's successful.

There is currently potential for people that have access to an extra apple watch, or that have an iOS 8.3 backup with a backup of Watch OS 1.0.1.

Essentially, you would downgrade to 8.3, restore from your backup with the 1.0.1 backup, then do a Shift+Check For Update, select the iOS 9 Beta ipsw (DO NOT CLICK RESTORE) so that it keeps your settings during the update, then pair your apple watch on OS 2 beta and select restore from backup. Select the backup with OS 1.0.1 and you should be set.

Again, I'll let you know if what I'm working on pans out, which should allow anyone to downgrade.

Sorry, tried this one earlier to no avail! Thanks for sharing though :)

True, I might just bite the bullet and send it in..

That's what I thought. They did it for free with no questions asked too so just did it :)

Rich Woods

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
It won't work with iOS 8.4. They were clear that WatchOS 2 only works with iOS 9.

Also, isn't there a recovery mode? For example, if I shut off my iPhone, I can hold down the home button and plug it into a PC running iTunes and it puts it into recovery mode and downloads and installs the most recent firmware.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It won't work with iOS 8.4. They were clear that WatchOS 2 only works with iOS 9.

Also, isn't there a recovery mode? For example, if I shut off my iPhone, I can hold down the home button and plug it into a PC running iTunes and it puts it into recovery mode and downloads and installs the most recent firmware.

Nothing to plug in to on the watch. At least for us.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I am currently on the phone with Apple and there is apparently a way to go about this. The tech is trying to find an article that he can email me. If this is the case I will be sharing it shortly.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Nice! Hopefully it's not a link to this thread..

I just lost connection with him, but so far he is suggesting that I have to reset the app as new using the watch app on the phone, but then I lost connection and I have yet to have him call back.

ocrane

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Interesting, so maybe unpair phone. Revert to current ios and set up as new. Then try to pair watch?

The only issue is the watch wont pair on a device that has lower than 9. So it would have to be a new install of 9

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, so maybe unpair phone. Revert to current ios and set up as new. Then try to pair watch?

The only issue is the watch wont pair on a device that has lower than 9. So it would have to be a new install of 9

I tried that with my Dad's iPhone and it was unable to pair because he is on 8.3.

Teague Kelley

May 29, 2015
Visit site

Lol all of you jumping to ios9. :) I learned my lesson back on 7. There's no real features that I want right now with iOS 9 or the new watch OS. I'll wait for the fall update

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that like the iPhone's OS, once it's upgraded and is non-beta, you're stuck with it.

I know there were some workarounds on the older OS for iPhone but they've locked down a lot since then.