How can I downgrade Watch OS 2 to 1.0.1?

anon(4767420)

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

I installed watchOS 2 without updating to the iOS 9 beta. I did not think about how I would downgrade my watch. Is it possible to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I don't think watchOS 2 works with iOS 8.3.

Last edited:

JordanYork

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

I need to downgrade as well. iOS 9 didn't agree with my backups at all, so it just kept crashing and was unusable. I downgraded back to 8.3 but then realized it made my watch unusable, so I went back to 9 and set up as a new phone.

Less buggy now, but I couldn't restore my backup, which drives me nuts. Would be awesome to be able to downgrade watch back to 1.0.1.

CodeMusic

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I am sure there must be a way to downgrade the watch back to watchOS 1.0.1.
I too maybe wanting to do this... at this point too many apps on iOS 9 crash. : (
... I mean, it is beta 1... the buggiest beta of them all : p

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

In the watch app there is a profile for the beta release. Theorizing that maybe it would restore to latest non beta if the profile was deleted first? Last resort would be take it to apple store and have them restore it possibly if that goes wrong ? Totally guessing here.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

I have been wondering as well. I might want to downgrade my phone but I cannot do that until I have a way to downgrade the watch. I was hoping Apple would post a solution to this when they posted the beta OS.

[UPDATE]: So after further research, you are not able to downgrade to 1.0.1 officially, and nobody has yet to figure out a work around. If you want a useable watch, you are going to have to stay on iOS 9, which I am not thrilled about, but iOS 9 works well enough that I can live with it. I am sure the next beta for the watch and iOS 9 will be a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

In the watch app there is a profile for the beta release. Theorizing that maybe it would restore to latest non beta if the profile was deleted first? Last resort would be take it to apple store and have them restore it possibly if that goes wrong ? Totally guessing here.

Removing the profile only does nothing, because the system is installed already; it might even prevent you from future beta updates, which is even worse.

I'm still looking for a way to downgrade, but until we get a full watchOS 1 firmware, and a way to install it, I think that nothing can be done.
My concern is not about iOS 9 or bugs, but battery life on the Watch with watchOS 2 beta seems worse than before; am I the only one facing this?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Removing the profile only does nothing, because the system is installed already; it might even prevent you from future beta updates, which is even worse.

I'm still looking for a way to downgrade, but until we get a full watchOS 1 firmware, and a way to install it, I think that nothing can be done.
My concern is not about iOS 9 or bugs, but battery life on the Watch with watchOS 2 beta seems worse than before; am I the only one facing this?

The guy at the store mentioned to me they could flash the demo watches. He also said there were no hardware differences to demo watches. The inly diff was the app they could install that ran on a loop.

Perhaps they could flash back to 1.0.1.

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Probably they use the hidden service port, but some say that opening that voids the waterproofing certification. I might be wrong :D

However I can't try that, I'm in Italy and here the Watch isn't in stores yet. If you manage to ask at the Store, please let us know!

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Probably they use the hidden service port, but some say that opening that voids the waterproofing certification. I might be wrong :D

However I can't try that, I'm in Italy and here the Watch isn't in stores yet. If you manage to ask at the Store, please let us know!

I have 2 phones. If I can I will try to swap to 8.3 without doing anything else.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I made sure that when I installed iOS 9, I would leave the Watch OS alone, and thankfully, I did. I'm satisfied with the OS as-is and am not in a rush to upgrade to OS 2.0 just yet.

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I have 2 phones. If I can I will try to swap to 8.3 without doing anything else.
You mean trying to connect your Watch with watchOS 2 to a iOS 8.3 iPhone? It might not be recognized at all, but I couldn't try that myself.
Maybe doing so and removing the certificate might do something.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

You mean trying to connect your Watch with watchOS 2 to a iOS 8.3 iPhone? It might not be recognized at all, but I couldn't try that myself.
Maybe doing so and removing the certificate might do something.

Yeah. I am un-pairing from 9.0 phone.
Will try to pair with 8.3 phone.
Assuming un-pairing erases phone including cert.

Will let you know.

anon(5718668)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Stuck with this also. Admittedly should have just left it tbh. In town near an Apple Store tomorrow so may try and pull some strings and see what they may be able to do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR