Apple Sport v Apple Watch

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing, though - from HCI, we know that intermittent performance issues are actually worse than predictable performance issues.

That's interesting - I'm certainly not alone with this, though - I've seen others reporting the same thing.

Would be interested in hearing other peoples' experience, since it seems you and I are seeing just plain different behaviour. I'd say Siri activates correctly about two times in three.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not debating you or anything like that. You have legitimate gripes that a good deal of people are experiencing. Some of the issues may be improved by unpairing and then pairing the watch again to the iPhone. Hopefully, Apple will surprise us with another update later today. Anyway, thanks for chiming in...:)

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's my two cents about the Sport durability. I am an outdoor enthusiast, and currently own both a Space Gray Sport and a Suunto Ambit3 Sport. I AM more concerned about the Apple Watch in terms of durability..but not as much as I thought I would be. I opted for the 38 mm version and haven't felt nervous doing any of my daily routines with it...from running, rock climbing, weight lifting, kayaking, etc. I even dropped it the first day I had it when I was trying to put it on and it emerged unscathed. What it boils down to for me is that it is considerably smaller and lighter than any other watch that I currently own, and I feel as if given those two characteristics I am less likely to knock it or bang it against something and do damage to it, simply because it has so much smaller of a profile than my Suunto does. (And let me tell you, the Ambit 3 is a big watch).

jschu22

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
The "raise wrist to turn on" function is slow and unreliable.

I my experience with this watch compared to many other smart watches, it's excellent in regards to accurately and consistently responding with a wrist raise. I have even lauded the device for this specific performance.

Even without comparing it to others I'd say this is a non-issue for my watch. Respectfully I think this is either an issue with the specific device or the user expectation being too high.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
What was you're rationale for getting either one?

I purchased the SG Sport. Since this was a first gen product, I didn't want to spend more than I felt I had to to get one. I do not plan on upgrading when gen 2 comes out. I'm not even sure about gen 3 unless my Sport gets seriously damaged or bogs down over time due to updates. I will wait to see what kind of improvements they make before I make any decision. When I do upgrade, I will seriously look at the possibility of a SS Watch. At that point I will hope I could keep it for an even longer period of time.

Last edited:

dianahk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have had the SS for a month and I have no regrets on spending the extra money for it. I like the look of the SS and the band selection for it. I have the Milanese loop and even though it looks fine on the sport I prefer it to match, a tad anal I know.

I am a runner and use it to track fitness. The weight is not noticeable to me. I have read that the sport glass is a tad easier to read in the bright light than SS. This does not bother me too much.

This is an expensive investment for a gen 1 and my first ever gen 1, but I am very happy with the purchase. I use it for activity tracking, notification alerts, quick texts, baseball updates, time, apple pay, and airline tickets, heart rate monitoring, and a few other things I am forgetting. Sure, some of this can be done with the phone. However, I do not always have my phone on me as I run around the office or home. It is also easier to look at the watch than dig through my purse for my phone. It is not a perfect device, but I am still getting my money's worth from it.

gmabev

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I went with the  watch version for the sapphire glass. All the previous watches I've ever owned scratched horribly. Since I am planning to wear it daily for various activities decided to spend extra money for it. I got it with Milanese loop but also have a couple sport bands which I love for gym or walks.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I went with the  watch version for the sapphire glass.

Sapphire is a crystal, and is grown one molecule at a time, which is time consuming, so is very rigid and hard, which also means it's cut with diamond tools that are harder than it is. Glass is a construct composed of ingredients thrown together, melted, then either extruded into the desired shape, or poured onto a surface, left to cool, and cut to shape. Glass is easily scratched because many things lying around are harder than it is. Sapphire may shatter if struck right, since it is a crystal, but only materials harder than it is can scratch it. Generally, that means either other sapphire objects, or diamonds (as in swiping your wedding ring across its surface). So, for day to day wearing, the sapphire surface on the Apple Watch is very durable. The ion x glass on the sport watch will start to show micro scratches almost immediately, but may handle blows from other objects better than the hard sapphire surface on the stainless steel/gold models, since it will flex a bit before shattering.

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sapphire is a crystal, and is grown one molecule at a time, which is time consuming, so is very rigid and hard, which also means it's cut with diamond tools that are harder than it is. Glass is a construct composed of ingredients thrown together, melted, then either extruded into the desired shape, or poured onto a surface, left to cool, and cut to shape. Glass is easily scratched because many things lying around are harder than it is. Sapphire may shatter if struck right, since it is a crystal, but only materials harder than it is can scratch it. Generally, that means either other sapphire objects, or diamonds (as in swiping your wedding ring across its surface). So, for day to day wearing, the sapphire surface on the Apple Watch is very durable. The ion x glass on the sport watch will start to show micro scratches almost immediately, but may handle blows from other objects better than the hard sapphire surface on the stainless steel/gold models, since it will flex a bit before shattering.

Thank you ?

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you ?

Sorry. I even heard an Apple Store employee call it sapphire "glass", and explained the difference to her. Glass, even Gorilla Glass, scratches easily, sapphire won't, unless something harder swipes across it. This difference was enough to convince my spouse to order the stainless steel model vice the aluminum model for everyday use.

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. I even heard an Apple Store employee call it sapphire "glass", and explained the difference to her. Glass, even Gorilla Glass, scratches easily, sapphire won't, unless something harder swipes across it. This difference was enough to convince my spouse to order the stainless steel model vice the aluminum model for everyday use.

I initially ordered the aluminum and changed my mind to the stainless steel

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
The watch was a pure luxury buy for and I wasn't even sure if I needed it or would make use of it. It's also first gen so I factored that into my decision to buy the sport. However I've already bought 2 extra bands which have cost me ?170. So my total spend so far is ?470 which is virtually the price of the base SS model and I'm going to pick up the classic black buckle which is another ?130. In the end it will all add up. I don't mind paying for bands as it changes the look of the watch but considering the the SS and sports watches do exactly the same I couldn't justify buying the SS.

As for durability my sports is doing fine and I've had it since launch day. However I have apple care + for any accidents/damages.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I got the Sport because I wanted the lightest possible watch, wanted space gray aluminum, and I am active and wanted the sport band. I just couldn't justify the cost for the same functionality, just different materials.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I got the Sport because I wanted the lightest possible watch, wanted space gray aluminum, and I am active and wanted the sport band. I just couldn't justify the cost for the same functionality, just different materials.

With the bands being interchangeable you really aren't missing anything By having that sports model.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR