Apple Sport v Apple Watch

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What was you're rationale for getting either one?

Is the watch much heavier than the sport?

I know one the sport is ionx and the watch is sapphire, but other than the hardness, do you see any differences?

Any other differences or thoughts please add.

Thanks in advance

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The only differences are the following:

Aluminum vs Stainless Steel (casing)
IonX vs Sapphire (Display)

Everything else is the same. Having said that, "I" find it unnecessary to get anything more than the sport model, and after having my Watch for over a month now without any damages whatsoever, I'm even more convinced of it. Furthermore, it's not like you're paying for additional storage space or anything. You're simply paying for stronger materials even though the ion x and aluminum are strong in their own right.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Speaking for myself. I have been a watch wearer for some time. I invariably scratch the crystal on all my non-sapphire watches. My sapphire crystal watches look perfect.

I can't speak for the IonX crystal's durability. But I do know about sapphire... and thats why I went with it on the watch.

Your watch crystal is exposed constantly to the knocks of everyday life and since you are wearing it as opposed to holding it like you do your phone. Your "guard" is down. At least thats the way it is for me.

Good luck with your choice.... I think you will be happy with which ever way you go.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Price... bought the "cheapest" version I could (other than being 42mm) because it's first-gen. Still cost over $500 after AppleCare+ and adding a black band, so "cheap" is absolutely a relative term.

Maf C

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I sold 2 42mm Sports which took the price of my SS BSB down down to ?160 which made me happy. Had I not of taken that course of action i'd have gone with the Sport (don't think the SS is worth the extra)

jschu22

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
The only differences are the following:

Aluminum vs Stainless Steel (casing)
IonX vs Sapphire (Display)

Everything else is the same. Having said that, "I" find it unnecessary to get anything more than the sport model, and after having my Watch for over a month now without any damages whatsoever, I'm even more convinced of it. Furthermore, it's not like you're paying for additional storage space or anything. You're simply paying for technically two stronger materials even though the ion x and aluminum are strong in their own right.

It may not matter as much as the other material differences but the back is ceramic on the Watch version vs composite on the Sport. There is also the extra detail on the crown which is purely cosmetic but consistent with many high end watches.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The watch face is sapphire crystal on the stainless steel (& gold) model, and ion x glass (probably gorilla glass from Corning) on the aluminum one.

The back is ceramic with added rings around the four sensors on the stainless (& gold) model, composite (resin?) on the aluminum model.

Functionality is identical among all models. The stainless watch bodies cost $200 more than their aluminum counterparts. The primary discriminator among the models is the band selected, which cost from $50 - $450. The black Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coating on the top stainless model tacks on $100.

The gold models start at $10,000 to cover the gold cost, and the bling exclusivity some people desire.

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone wore the watch v the sport and can comment on the weight ? Is the sapphire easier to view than the ionx? I've read that the ionx is easier to view than the sapphire.. Do t k ow where I saw that.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone wore the watch v the sport and can comment on the weight ? Is the sapphire easier to view than the ionx? I've read that the ionx is easier to view than the sapphire.. Do t k ow where I saw that.

May I offer a suggestion? Go to the nearest Apple Store and take a look at both models. Try them on, try the different band combinations and then choose which one is best for you.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if stores offer walk in purchases now I'm heading to the USA this weekend and the Apple watch is 399 compared to the 519 price tag on Canada.

dusty78

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
As a watch guy who owns many high end watches of which my Apple Watch is the cheapest I know all about the need for quality materials. The only thing that can scratch sapphire is a diamond. The only thing that can scratch glass is everything.

While the surface hardness of anodized aluminum is very strong it can scratch and ding. With the polished stainless steel case scratches are easily repaired with a watch polishing cloth. Aluminum requires the watch case to be re-anodized which will be costly if you can even find a shop willing to do it. Some will say that you can bead blast aluminum which is technically correct but it also results in removal of the anodizing which gives the aluminum it's strength.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
What was you're rationale for getting either one?

Having had my watch for a few days now, I'm going to say for almost everyone, the Sport is the right choice.

The Apple Watch is an amazing product, but it is definitely a v1, and has some serious short-comings. When next year's model comes out, I think most of us will want to upgrade. It's really not worth spending the farm on a watch today, because you won't be keeping it.

Equally, the Sport model is a very nice product, and you need not remotely feel you got second best.

I get that a lot of people are worried about durability of glass versus sapphire, but again, you won't be keeping this watch beyond one year.

jschu22

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Having had my watch for a few days now, I'm going to say for almost everyone, the Sport is the right choice.

The Apple Watch is an amazing product, but it is definitely a v1, and has some serious short-comings. When next year's model comes out, I think most of us will want to upgrade. It's really not worth spending the farm on a watch today, because you won't be keeping it.

Equally, the Sport model is a very nice product, and you need not remotely feel you got second best.

I get that a lot of people are worried about durability of glass versus sapphire, but again, you won't be keeping this watch beyond one year.

I'm interested in knowing what these shortcomings are. I've quietly debated the likelihood of an annual update, even considering it being their first stab at a wearable.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in knowing what these shortcomings are. I've quietly debated the likelihood of an annual update, even considering it being their first stab at a wearable.

In *my* opinion, its shortcomings are arguably user interface-based, and can be rectified via software updates. Personally, I don't have a problem with its design or build-quality and it's user interface, although not as intuitive as on the iPhone and iPad, can be grasped in a relatively short period of time.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes, to be fair, a lot of the issues are related to software. I expect that we'll even see some of these addressed in today's WWDC keynote. And yes, I agree that the build quality and design are fantastic.

But the biggest issue is performance. Even with first-party apps. For example, when I tap on weather, at times it can take 5-10 seconds to load, by which point I could have easily have checked it on my phone. Notifications can take ages to propagate - for example a text message can take minutes to show up. The "raise wrist to turn on" function is slow and unreliable. Siri frequently stalls out and doesn't recognize that I'm speaking for several seconds after I invoke it. Some of this will certainly get improved in software, but I personally expect that fundamentally, hardware updates are going to be required to make this a smooth experience.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, to be fair, a lot of the issues are related to software. I expect that we'll even see some of these addressed in today's WWDC keynote. And yes, I agree that the build quality and design are fantastic.
Great

But the biggest issue is performance. Even with first-party apps. For example, when I tap on weather, at times it can take 5-10 seconds to load, by which point I could have easily have checked it on my phone.
I agree to a point, but all of my installed apps don't take that long, and the few that do, doesn't do it all the time.
Notifications can take ages to propagate - for example a text message can take minutes to show up.
I've yet to experience any issues with notifications. Mine are immediate.
The "raise wrist to turn on" function is slow and unreliable.
Not with me. It works 99% of the time, but I've had my Watch for over a month now so I know exactly how to get it to light up when I lift and turn my arm to check the time.
Siri frequently stalls out and doesn't recognize that I'm speaking for several seconds after I invoke it.
Again, I'm not having issues in this regard. Siri works extremely well on my Watch and I've told several people how accurate it and dictation is for me.
Some of this will certainly get improved in software, but I personally expect that fundamentally, hardware updates are going to be required to make this a smooth experience.
I agree with the first part, but not necessarily the second because it is still dependent on the iPhone for the most part. Let's hope that software updates will be all that's needed. Having said that, what I would like to be able to do is install a fresh copy of the watch's OS like I can with Apple's other devices. Erasing contents & settings is useless if the OS itself gets corrupted.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
...all of my installed apps don't take that long, and the few that do, doesn't do it all the time.
That's the thing, though - from HCI, we know that intermittent performance issues are actually worse than predictable performance issues.

I've yet to experience any issues with notifications.
That's interesting - I'm certainly not alone with this, though - I've seen others reporting the same thing.

Siri works extremely well on my Watch and I've told several people how accurate it and dictation is for me.
Would be interested in hearing other peoples' experience, since it seems you and I are seeing just plain different behaviour. I'd say Siri activates correctly about two times in three.

RandGM

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Sapphire screen = less chance of being scratched. Better resale value when 2.0 or 3.0 model comes around. Didn't like the brushed look as much.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods