Modern Buckle sizing issue

nickpthemft

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So, for ostensibly the first time ever, I've emailed Tim Cook.

I really don't want to bug the guy, because he is running the most valuable company in the world and all. But, there's an issue with the Modern Buckle sizing. Particularly, what happens when the size is wrong.

I spent about an hour and forty minutes on the phone with at least 5 different Apple people trying to just get my wife's Large-sized Soft Pink Modern Buckle exchanged for a Medium. They can't do it. Period.

I can't be the only one having this problem with band sizing, and there really wasn't any sort of resolution. I did get a really nice manager from (I believe) the Customer Experience team that's looking into it for me, so that's good. But, I felt like Tim needed to know what this process was like, and thought that he might like to look into it.

By all accounts, the Apple watch is in uncharted territory when it comes to products from Apple. But, that being said, this has definitely led to a very un-Apple experience.

Anyone else having similar issues with band sizing and exchanges?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, for ostensibly the first time ever, I've emailed Tim Cook.

I really don't want to bug the guy, because he is running the most valuable company in the world and all. But, there's an issue with the Modern Buckle sizing. Particularly, what happens when the size is wrong.

I spent about an hour and forty minutes on the phone with at least 5 different Apple people trying to just get my wife's Large-sized Soft Pink Modern Buckle exchanged for a Medium. They can't do it. Period.

I can't be the only one having this problem with band sizing, and there really wasn't any sort of resolution. I did get a really nice manager from (I believe) the Customer Experience team that's looking into it for me, so that's good. But, I felt like Tim needed to know what this process was like, and thought that he might like to look into it.

By all accounts, the Apple watch is in uncharted territory when it comes to products from Apple. But, that being said, this has definitely led to a very un-Apple experience. These are times when 3rd-party solutions may be the best course of action for now.

Anyone else having similar issues with band sizing and exchanges?

Nope, Mine fit like quite nicely, but I have average size wrists, I suppose. Having said that, no company can focus too much of its attention on the abnormal unless it is its primary target. Airlines, cabs, restaurants, police cars, etcetera, all plan for the average, but when the abnormal comes along, there's hardly ever a quick remedy.

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am not surprised that they could not ship out a replacement since the item is in short supply. It seems like they are getting caught up on shipments and reportedly bands will be in the stores soon. Probably would have been best to visit an Apple store and try them out first?

nickpthemft

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So a few notes...

Having said that, no company can focus too much of its attention on the abnormal unless it is its primary target

True. I'm not talking about wrists being so small or so large that they don't fit properly in ANY of the bands. That's a whole separate discussion. I'm talking more about someone who is within the range, but due to any number of variances, ran into being in between sizes on Apple's sizing chart. The fact that they didn't foresee that issue is surprising.

Probably would have been best to visit an Apple store and try them out first?

True. I completely agree. And had Apple made that an option prior to pre-orders going live, we certainly would have done that. Even the Apple execs I spoke with yesterday recognized that was an issue.

So, in summary, yeah, Tim reportedly read my email. He forwarded the issue on to an exec from Apple's team yesterday, whom I spoke with. He confirmed that this definitely is an issue, and that while they should have a plan in place for issues like this, they don't. He wasn't able to give me many more specifics than that, but he did recognize that there were some inherent issues with the roll out and sizing, particularly for this style of band, that they didn't anticipate. Being Memorial Day here in the US, they're closed for the next few days (at least at the executive level), and so he'll be getting back to me on Tuesday with some sort of plan.

For those that are interested, I'll keep you informed.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
That modern buckle band is a thorn in my side as well...

I ordered my mom sport band but she changed her mind and wanted the pink modern buckle...

Band exchange should be easy peasy...not so much.

The rep told me my only option was to return her watch and his exact words "get to the back of the line and order the modern buckle"

I'm not understanding to the fact there there is a wait but I was really put off by his answer. It wasn't said in a funny haha way we didn't have some funny rapport going.

I worked in retail for many years and certainly understand the frustrations that come with customer service. But seriously why announce a band exchange if they're is a "but not that band" exclusion associated with it.